Official Air Jordan I Retro BLACK/ROYAL Thread FEB 2013 - Show Some Maturity People

Status
Not open for further replies.
The perceived value of a commodity goes up when demand is high, but supply is low.
how does that answer his question? 
laugh.gif

The perceived value of a commodity goes up when demand is high, but supply is low.
I understand that, but if that's JB's corporate objective how does it make sense to make 500k pairs of Bred XI's? Maybe they are addressing different demand demographics, and I understand that the general public demand for a bred XI far exceeds the demand for a royal 1, but I do believe JB could have doubled on the production of the royuals and still be limited. 

And to the others who are "LOLing" at people paying over $300 for these, that's the market demand, it's none of my business what another man pays. You might be willing to spend only $200, while another guy pays $350, and you laugh, but that other guy might be making 4 or 5 times as much money as you. 

Interesting to hear the people with the corporate nike info contribute to the discussion on limited supply and restocks. For those of you who have the nike corporate connects, did they tell you why, from a business perspective, they decided to limit the supply of these? I would think Nike could have doubled the amount of pairs they made on this release, and still sell out within the first day with demand still lingering from people who couldn't secure enough pairs. I'm scratching my head trying to figure out why those guys decided to make so few pairs. 
this isnt the 1st limited release, 88 3's were limited but everyone got those ( overhyped, in my opinion and now resellers hae been left with pairs sitting) 

i remember reading that this release was to commemorate mj's 50th birthday, thus all the 1's releasing this year with the Nike Air on them. now with the royals they wanted to preserve the uniqueness of og colorway by limiting the pairs, considering it hasnt been retroed since 01, i mean in my opinion.

They make so few pair so that the perceived value of the shoe will be high.  He was probably smart enough to make that connection.
yes... i understand what you're saying.

but he asked why they made so few pairs if they could have produced double (or ten times more) the amount of pairs and still sold out.  how does "perceived value" help Nike/JB at this point?  they arent reselling.

I understand that, but if that's JB's corporate objective how does it make sense to make 500k pairs of Bred XI's? Maybe they are addressing different demand demographics, and I understand that the general public demand for a bred XI far exceeds the demand for a royal 1, but I do believe JB could have doubled on the production of the royuals and still be limited. 

And to the others who are "LOLing" at people paying over $300 for these, that's the market demand, it's none of my business what another man pays. You might be willing to spend only $200, while another guy pays $350, and you laugh, but that other guy might be making 4 or 5 times as much money as you. 
dont forget to add that he'll have the shoes and the dude not willing to pay wont. which means less ig, facebook, tumblr  pics and what-not and you know some cant have that

Can you explain to me why JB/Nike would know what FNL is doing with their inventory or how much they still have left? You've provided some legit info in the past, but I just don't understand why FNL would share their plans for inventory with the manufacturer after they've received and paid for it.
I have a connect at JB and at FNL.... and your right, JB has no clue or cares what FNL does with the kicks, JB has already been paid for them.... My connect at FNL told me about them holding back pairs, I also have a connect at Nike midwest warehouse (sometimes they hold stuff for fnl/footlocker/ and other stores) he sent me pics of Olives sitting in Jan 2013 and they came out in Oct/Nov 2012.... My JB source says that JB/Nike is planning a restock as well, now if they are on the same day, two diff days, or even All Star 2014, I dont know just yet.. But all 3 sources will keep me in the loop and have for years.....

^ You also claimed we would see an Olive IX restock over ASG weekend, and that never happened. At this point who cares about a "restock" on these? At most we're talking about a few FSRs that will sell out within 20 seconds when half the country is still asleep. It's not even worth worrying about if you don't have a pair. That's the worst thing about FNL and their restocks, they have everyone paranoid and not thinking clearly, constantly checking and expecting something that likely won't come.

Funny you now say this when you were going in on anyone paying over $200 a few weeks ago without waiting for any restocks or for spots to finally release their pairs. You were that guy that you're now opposing.

dont forget to add that he'll have the shoes and the dude not willing to pay wont. which means less ig, facebook, tumblr  pics and what-not and you know some cant have that
I just think it's none of anyone's business what someone is willing to pay for a shoe. I have two friends, both sneaker lovers. One dude makes $35k a year and another is making $130k a year. The guy who makes $35k a year tends to go through drastic measures to get his shoes, 1) staying up till early morning to try to buy online releases 2) lining up 3) waiting for restocks. 

The other guy maing $130k doesn't bother wasting time lining up or sitting by his computer during online releases/waiting for a restock. He just goes out and buys whatever shoe he wants if he feels the market value is worth it.

I'm not gonna judge either one of them. The guying making $35k brags about getting his shoes for retail, but we laugh cause time is money and the guy making $130k makes more money per hour than the money saved for the time spent by the guy who makes $35k spent trying to get his shoes for retail. 

Getting shoes for retail is always a good thing, and I congratulate any sneaker enthusiast who can get a shoe like this at retail in this kind of chaotic sneaker environment......but some dudes just dont have time to deal with it. 

Last edited:

but he asked why they made so few pairs if they could have produced double (or ten times more) the amount of pairs and still sold out.  how does "perceived value" help Nike/JB at this point?  they arent reselling.
If the perceived value of a product from a given brand is high, it strengthens the brand.  Some may say that JB has enough market strength, but this is because they maintain a strategy of creating products that are perceived as highly valuable.  How much is that shoe, made of leather, cotton and rubber really 'worth?'  It doesn't matter if people are willing to pay a given amount of $ for it, in this case resale close to $400.00.  Perceived value = hype.  Brands always want that, no matter how big they are.  They never rest on their laurels.  Then the brand can start moving the actual retail cost of the product closer to that of it's perceived value, as we have seen with the WC '88 @ 200 last month.

Just got my pair from a connect in Europe. Jordans sit a few days where he lives. The blue in person looks dull to me, almost with a slight tint of purple.

I decide to hit up my pair with Red Wing All Natural Leather Conditioner. I'm very happy with the results. The blue looks more like a royal blue and overall the leather looks healthier. Doesn't look dry and thirsty, pun intended

View media item 308766
Top is before and bottom is with the leather conditioner. Might be hard to tell in pictures but trust in person, the blue is now more of a true royal blue like the 01s

They found it out because they both have connects at Nike corporate.  I already posted the exact post that captainsneakerhead made, including quoting where he got his info, and the title of the thread where he posted it....and you had to have read my post because the info in it is what you were refuting in the first of your 6 posts in this thread this morning.  The Royal 1 info in his post was additional information at the end of the post in which he was saying that he also heard the same thing that KCmo posted in that thread.  And KCmo said in his post that you quoted, the reason that captain didn't post it in this inbox crashing thread. 

And why do some people keep stating the obvious about FNL, their agenda, and their restocks?  We all know how it works and what they are doing.  Leave the people hoping for a restock alone, people in the Royal threads have gotten shoes on every single release of this shoe that has happened.  FNL's couple canceled order pairs, a tiny stock at OS LIFE, a tiny stock in the Czech Republic, a tiny stock at Deadstock...

Also, Olives were restocked at my HoH like KCmo said.  Over 20 pairs.
repped.....

They make so few pair so that the perceived value of the shoe will be high.  He was probably smart enough to make that connection.

They've been selling unfathomable amounts of them blue/black dunks

If the perceived value of a product from a given brand is high, it strengthens the brand.  Some may say that JB has enough market strength, but this is because they maintain a strategy of creating products that are perceived as highly valuable.  How much is that shoe, made of leather, cotton and rubber really 'worth?'  It doesn't matter if people are willing to pay a given amount of $ for it, in this case resale close to $400.00.  Perceived value = hype.  Brands always want that, no matter how big they are.  They never rest on their laurels.  Then the brand can start moving the actual retail cost of the product closer to that of it's perceived value, as we have seen with the WC '88 @ 200 last month.
That make sense, thanks. I still think JB could have produced twice as many of royals for this release and still create a very limited supply relative to the demand. A LOT of people who have these as their grails still don't own a pair. A lot of people who wanted doubles only got 1 (me.) 

If I was CEO of Nike/JB, I would:

-Double the production number of the actual amount of the 2013 release.

-Increase the price to $200. Justify the price increase by using premium, "Banned" quality leather.

In the scenario above, JB maximizes production volume while preserving limited perceived value, makes even more profit margin at a higher price point, and has a happier customer base (banned quality.) The fact of the matter is the majority of people who wanted the shoes paid resale prices, ($275 and up,) I'm sure consumers would be happier paying $200 for a premium quality product made in larger amounts that correspond to market demand. 

Actually, perceived value doesn't = hype, hype is more like perceived value + availability(usually lack thereof).  So they limit the amount of shoe they produce.  Then people who missed it either have to pay the perceived value (or more)(resellers) or just not have it.  They can wait for the next time the shoe is released, but the brand, knowing the hype/perceived value of the shoe cause by the previous incarnation, rerelease at a new, more profitable price.

They've been selling unfathomable amounts of them blue/black dunks
you mean those black/blue dunk highs that were sitting forever and eventually marked down?  So JB limited the Royals so they could move those dunks?
laugh.gif

I understand perceived value.  As it was said earlier, this type of value strengthens a company.  But there's a fine line between increasing that strength and turning a profit.  I think the consensus is that the Royals still would have sold out even if XX pairs were produced.  And i'm sure the perception of the brand would not have changed if this happened.

I have a connect at JB and at FNL.... and your right, JB has no clue or cares what FNL does with the kicks, JB has already been paid for them.... My connect at FNL told me about them holding back pairs, I also have a connect at Nike midwest warehouse (sometimes they hold stuff for fnl/footlocker/ and other stores) he sent me pics of Olives sitting in Jan 2013 and they came out in Oct/Nov 2012.... My JB source says that JB/Nike is planning a restock as well, now if they are on the same day, two diff days, or even All Star 2014, I dont know just yet.. But all 3 sources will keep me in the loop and have for years.....
Man, I appreciate what you are doing.  I would really like to snag a pair of these, and I believe that you are trying to help out.  Thanks again!

Interesting to hear the people with the corporate nike info contribute to the discussion on limited supply and restocks. For those of you who have the nike corporate connects, did they tell you why, from a business perspective, they decided to limit the supply of these? I would think Nike could have doubled the amount of pairs they made on this release, and still sell out within the first day with demand still lingering from people who couldn't secure enough pairs. I'm scratching my head trying to figure out why those guys decided to make so few pairs. 
I can answer this.... Its simple... Nike/JB dosent care about money, Phill Knight, the cofounder of Nike is worth 14billion on his own, so imagine how much Nike as a whole is? They can care less about if a shoe will sell out or not, they want and need to create hype, for years and years to come... The hype of a limited shoe carries on to the sell of a not so popular shoe, and aslo paves the way to have that shoe fly off the shelves when it drops years down the road.... We here at NT are looking as far as the next Holiday season to see what drops, but JB/Nike is looking 5-10 years down the road, trust me.... Alot of people may not realize it, but when JB drops a limited shoe, the following shoe, no matter what it is always well sell well.. ( I have seen the actual numbers on this )

Last edited:
That make sense, thanks. I still think JB could have produced twice as many of royals for this release and still create a very limited supply relative to the demand. A LOT of people who have these as their grails still don't own a pair. A lot of people who wanted doubles only got 1 (me.) 

If I was CEO of Nike/JB, I would:

-Double the production number of the actual amount of the 2013 release.

-Increase the price to $200. Justify the price increase by using premium, "Banned" quality leather.

In the scenario above, JB maximizes production volume while preserving limited perceived value, makes even more profit margin at a higher price point, and has a happier customer base (banned quality.) The fact of the matter is the majority of people who wanted the shoes paid resale prices, ($275 and up,) I'm sure consumers would be happier paying $200 for a premium quality product made in larger amounts that correspond to market demand. 
Man- I am with you on that!  I would have loved to have been able to buy a pair of these.

I can answer this.... Its simple... Nike/JB dosent care about money, Phill Knight, the cofounder of Nike is worth 14billion on his own, so imagine how much Nike as a whole is? They can care less about if a shoe will sell out or not, they want and need to create hype, for years and years to come... The hype of a limited shoe carries on to the sell of a not so popular shoe, and aslo paves the way to have that shoe fly off the shelves when it drops years down the road.... We here at NT are looking as far as the next Holiday season to see what drops, but JB/Nike is looking 5-10 years down the road, trust me.... Alot of people may not realize it, but when JB drops a limited shoe, the following shoe, no matter what it is always well sell well.. ( I have seen the actual numbers on this )
I agree with you, but I would say that shareholder profit is first and foremost for any corporate entity.  I have noticed that even a shoe that isn't all that great will sell out instantly if a large # of people missed the last super hyped JB release.  I missed the initial drop of the Bred 11, so i was on to that Bred 13 as a consolation prize.  Well, I missed that one too, but was able to get the 11 from the FNL restock (thanks in no small part to your help, thanks again for that!) 

THIS. Nike corp is Genius. literally puppeteering their customers. Sticking their corporate hands up our *** like sock puppets and controlling us.

They got us grown *** men praying and hoping for restock or a CHANCE at a shoe. its crazy. But Nike has it right.

reebok and adidas have no chance at catching up to nike.

Look at RBK. they have no other way of bringing their company back up without having to retro their most popular styles like the kamikaze's and shaq line.
but they still don't know how to do it like NIKE.
Look at the initial kamikaze OG sonics release. They release in limited quantities nationwide. SOLD OUT within seconds on every website.
they didn't make enough when they could have easily maximized their profits by at least double but failed to produce more pairs.
and now look at them. trying to hype up the kamikaze 2 line with other OG cw's but now they're coming out with the most fugliest CW ever.

WTF is the OKC color even doing in store? they are butchering the Kamikaze 2.

But no matter the CW on a jordan shoe or Nike, it always seems to sell

especially now with reselling being so popular, even the ugliest of CW will be hyped and bought for reselling...dat **** cray

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom