Official Air Jordan IV white/cement release thread 2/18/12:::NO BUYING/SELLING/TRADING:::

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by airdhazzal

Originally Posted by UPPTEMPO8387

I don't think the reason shoes are more hyped and difficult to get now is because of the "hypebeasts and resellers." It's the internet. In the 90s, the only way you could flip a pair of kicks is by selling them to people you knew or by your friends telling their friends. Now, you can post your shoes on Niketalk, ISS, eBay, Craigslist, and any other sneaker forum you can find. That wasn't an option back in the day.

Not to mention, inflation raised the prices of clothes n other things. In the 90s, a lot of people were hesitant to drop $150 on some sneakers, so they passed or waited for a sale. In 2012, Air Max, Nike retros, LeBrons, Kobes, etc are all in the $150+ range so it makes it more acceptable to drop so much on a pair of sneakers.
You seriously have no idea what you are talking about dude. Take your made-up theories elsewhere lol, no one and I MEAN NO ONE fliped jordans back in the 90s. I am old enough to remember.

Yep, and you wore your sneakers and you bought them because you liked them not because you thought you could sell them one day or worrying about their value.

What I see now is crazy. I was talking to my boy how now I see parents waiting with their kids for two and three hours for some sneakers. I couldn't even ask mine to buy some $100 plus dollar sneakers. I couldn't imagine asking for someone to take me at 5:30am on the weekend, wait for over three hours AND then pay for them.

Originally Posted by airdhazzal

Originally Posted by UPPTEMPO8387

I don't think the reason shoes are more hyped and difficult to get now is because of the "hypebeasts and resellers." It's the internet. In the 90s, the only way you could flip a pair of kicks is by selling them to people you knew or by your friends telling their friends. Now, you can post your shoes on Niketalk, ISS, eBay, Craigslist, and any other sneaker forum you can find. That wasn't an option back in the day.

Not to mention, inflation raised the prices of clothes n other things. In the 90s, a lot of people were hesitant to drop $150 on some sneakers, so they passed or waited for a sale. In 2012, Air Max, Nike retros, LeBrons, Kobes, etc are all in the $150+ range so it makes it more acceptable to drop so much on a pair of sneakers.
You seriously have no idea what you are talking about dude. Take your made-up theories elsewhere lol, no one and I MEAN NO ONE fliped jordans back in the 90s. I am old enough to remember.

#1- All "theories" are made up by someone, so obviously my theory is made up
laugh.gif
If something I said was indeed a fact, it wouldn't be considered a theory.
#2- Where did I say people flipped Jordans? I said the ONLY WAY you could is if you sold them to a friend. As in, that was the only option if you needed money and intended on getting that money by selling your shoes. I never said selling shoes was a popular thing to do in the 90s.

@oo IRON MAN oo, yeah the internet was around in 2000, but how popular was eBay when it came to buying sneakers? Niketalk? ISS?If you typed "Air Jordan" on Ebay, maybe 500 results came up and it was 50% ridiculous looking fakes. Dudes selling Black/Yellow/Green AJ 11s and whatnot. Now, you type in Air Jordan and tens of thousands of results appear, and majority of them are legit pairs that are being sold for insane prices.

Also, supply and demand is why Jordans are so hyped? What about Foamposites? The Royal Blue foams weren't limited and they sold out and had people lining up. It had nothing to do with a low supply of shoes. The sneaker "community" dictates the prices that shoes resell for. If nobody was willing to pay $100+ over retail for a limited release, prices would be forced to drop and then others selling the same shoes would have to follow suit. You're not gonna sell Concords for $350 and expect to move them when your fellow "sneakerheads" are selling their pairs for $300 because you know yours won't sell if you do so.

I'm not defending resellers because I've only sold 1 pair of shoes in my life, but lets not act like people willing to go on eBay and impulse bid GRs up to double their retail price isn't part of the problem.

Man this is rediculous. EACH of the last 3 GENERAL RELEASES I've attempted to buy (Concord, Wolf Grey V, White Cement IV) has ended up in being empty handed or settling for a smaller size, SMH. This is crazy. Back when Jordan was playing it was NEVER this much of a headache to get the kicks. Heck even if you got to the store and they were sold out they'd have a restock within the week! Seriously considering just not even buying J's anymore because it's becoming to be a waste of time at this point to go and wait for hours and leave with nothing.

Now that I'm done with my gripe, I did manage to get a 10.5 today. I wear a 12, so if anyone who needs a 10.5 and has an 11.5 of 12 wants to make an even trade get at me.

Everybody talkin about resellers & CL... Just go to the buy/sell forum $250-$300... This is wat the game has come to, we just gotta deal w/ it

The Internet created a marketplace for sellers. All you fools are ignorant if you don't realize that eBay, CL and the like didn't exist in the late 90's. The Internet existed but it wasn't used for commerce very much until 8-10 years ago. It's true that no one sold Jordans aftermarket for inflated prices, but hardly anyone collected in the 90's. Most of this forum didn't! I bought 1-3 pairs a year, and I wore them. I balled in them. Sure, I hung onto them, but they were mostly beat. 1994 introduced the retro concept, something unheard of really for sneakers. I was 10 and I got my AJ I white/reds a few weeks after they released mainly bc I would take a weekly trip to the mall with my mom after church just to window shop and saw them. The idea that I could have these shoes he wore that I never thought I could own was amazing to me then!

But it wasn't until after MJ was done and his legend cemented and the new and innovative designs stopped dropping that the retro game even started, that collecting became a passion. For many in my generation our spending power was limited until the mid 2000's, which created a demand for even those of us who were into the OG's while younger kids who missed Jordan got a piece of history too (like me in 94). flash forward a decade and FB, Twitter and other social media (tumblr comes to mind for hype) not only connect friends, but strangers. Blogging tools made it easy to create sites like nice kicks and the like. None of these tools existed in the early 2000's or were very raw and not adopted strongly. All of this creates a cohesive culture of greed and envy, peer pressure, and places to showcase collections of wealth and history.

The past few years (2009-2012) is really the first time all of this has come together. Nike has great people running the company, and I'm not talking about their shoe designers. They are a marketing company first and foremost, and they hire the best talent and stay on top of trends in marketing. They have leveraged digital marketing and word of mouth to create hype and minimize costs, while rolling out a well executed lineup of old and new. They have strategically decided when to release shoes like the Concords (limited then a few years later GR) and this shoe. Right now we are the apex of their strategy for this line of product, and what you're seeing from them, the secondary market, and consumers is all of that strategy coming to fruition.

There's a lot about ourselves and this so called "game" (a term coined by sneaker heads to give this habitual buying and materialism some semblance of relevance and ubiquity from straight up consumerism) not to like. Come to grips with it, come to grips with your part in it, and come to grips with how the largest shoe and athletic apparel company in the world is using us all for their profit. Keep it all in perspective and realize that this community isn't based on anything all that lasting or unique (spending money on what most of the world would consider luxury items), and because of that you can't expect as many people as possible not to take advantage for greedy reasons. MJ is greedy. Nike is greedy. We are greedy. Greedy for more Jordans, greedy for the latest and greatest style to impress others with, greedy to profit off our addiction. And outsiders will too bc it comes off quite petty and stupid to most.

Just my perspective on things, take it for what it's worth, which ain't much.

Originally Posted by Franco23x

Originally Posted by West Coast Avenger

laff.gif
Ironic due to your sig..... 

Really homey?? $5000 as opposed to $275??? get the $%@$ outta here!!
You paid 170.. your selling for 275 you make a 100 dollar profit
You *#%$. 

Not only are you a hater but you are horrible at math. If I paid $170 and am selling for $275 that is a $95 profit....... Please shut the $%@$ up and keep it moving, you dont like what Im doing then you can politely E.A.D.

Headed to monroeville mall this morning at around 645, got their at 715 and was 16th in line at FNL. Finally grabbed my 9.5
and paid for an 11 for my boy (my other friend waited in line with me but he wasnt getting any for himself). When we were 

leaving I hit dude up to tell him the good news that we got his size 11 for him but he dodged my calls and then finally texts me 

saying he doesn't want them now and cant afford to pay me back smh. 

Woah, Concords for 4's? I can see that trade for some 99's but for these?! It's a win in my book! Go ahead and take that trade.

Really homey?? $5000 as opposed to $275??? get the $%@$ outta here!!
You paid 170.. your selling for 275 you make a 100 dollar profit
You *#%$. 

Not only are you a hater but you are horrible at math. If I paid $170 and am selling for $275 that is a $95 profit....... Please shut the $%@$ up and keep it moving, you dont like what Im doing then you can politely E.A.D.

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by DoubleD Productions

Headed to monroeville mall this morning at around 645, got their at 715 and was 16th in line at FNL. Finally grabbed my 9.5
and paid for an 11 for my boy (my other friend waited in line with me but he wasnt getting any for himself). When we were 

leaving I hit dude up to tell him the good news that we got his size 11 for him but he dodged my calls and then finally texts me 

saying he doesn't want them now and cant afford to pay me back smh. 

So..... now you have two shoes that are worth more than what you paid for them??? ... I don't really see your problem, you could easily sell that second pair off for 220 and make a quick 50 bucks.... 

Originally Posted by trappedintime

The Internet created a marketplace for sellers. All you fools are ignorant if you don't realize that eBay, CL and the like didn't exist in the late 90's. The Internet existed but it wasn't used for commerce very much until 8-10 years ago. It's true that no one sold Jordans aftermarket for inflated prices, but hardly anyone collected in the 90's. Most of this forum didn't! I bought 1-3 pairs a year, and I wore them. I balled in them. Sure, I hung onto them, but they were mostly beat. 1994 introduced the retro concept, something unheard of really for sneakers. I was 10 and I got my AJ I white/reds a few weeks after they released mainly bc I would take a weekly trip to the mall with my mom after church just to window shop and saw them. The idea that I could have these shoes he wore that I never thought I could own was amazing to me then!

But it wasn't until after MJ was done and his legend cemented and the new and innovative designs stopped dropping that the retro game even started, that collecting became a passion. For many in my generation our spending power was limited until the mid 2000's, which created a demand for even those of us who were into the OG's while younger kids who missed Jordan got a piece of history too (like me in 94). flash forward a decade and FB, Twitter and other social media (tumblr comes to mind for hype) not only connect friends, but strangers. Blogging tools made it easy to create sites like nice kicks and the like. None of these tools existed in the early 2000's or were very raw and not adopted strongly. All of this creates a cohesive culture of greed and envy, peer pressure, and places to showcase collections of wealth and history.

The past few years (2009-2012) is really the first time all of this has come together. Nike has great people running the company, and I'm not talking about their shoe designers. They are a marketing company first and foremost, and they hire the best talent and stay on top of trends in marketing. They have leveraged digital marketing and word of mouth to create hype and minimize costs, while rolling out a well executed lineup of old and new. They have strategically decided when to release shoes like the Concords (limited then a few years later GR) and this shoe. Right now we are the apex of their strategy for this line of product, and what you're seeing from them, the secondary market, and consumers is all of that strategy coming to fruition.

There's a lot about ourselves and this so called "game" (a term coined by sneaker heads to give this habitual buying and materialism some semblance of relevance and ubiquity from straight up consumerism) not to like. Come to grips with it, come to grips with your part in it, and come to grips with how the largest shoe and athletic apparel company in the world is using us all for their profit. Keep it all in perspective and realize that this community isn't based on anything all that lasting or unique (spending money on what most of the world would consider luxury items), and because of that you can't expect as many people as possible not to take advantage for greedy reasons. MJ is greedy. Nike is greedy. We are greedy. Greedy for more Jordans, greedy for the latest and greatest style to impress others with, greedy to profit off our addiction. And outsiders will too bc it comes off quite petty and stupid to most.

Just my perspective on things, take it for what it's worth, which ain't much.
Thank you..Not to mention the guys trying to sell their pairs on Twitter and their tweets get retweeted 50 times. They even have Buy/Sell pages on Facebook. You could have 1 single shoe posted in 10 different places and have 100s of people see your kicks. That wasn't an option before.

Originally Posted by ColdCity

Originally Posted by keepEmclean23

im glad i get a break until april this release gave me my first grey hair.......

i said the same & forgot about the yeezys...
laugh.gif

lol i hear you i didnt even end up getting my true size in the 4's today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom