Official Air Jordan IV white/cement release thread 2/18/12:::NO BUYING/SELLING/TRADING:::

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't post much but this is one of the biggest non-XI releases that I've seen in recent memory... I was @ northland DET around 3am door didnt open till almost 8 footlocker only had 24 pair in mens... my young dudes was in westland around 1am.... EVERYTHING has been crazy since the Cords....

Originally Posted by blackredxiiigoat

A majority of the people in here don't realize that dumb posts talking about "Oh man it's going to be so crazy!" and "Man, get ready to go to war it's gonna be wild" and "The thirst!" with all these goofy .gif's do NOTHING but make things worse and clutter up the threads.

It's irritating to come into a thread 100+ pages and see a bunch of useless posts amping up the situation followed by a
laugh.gif
or a
roll.gif
like if it was funny.

Somebody throw up a You Mad? pic too cause I know it's coming.

And as for advice so my post doesn't get classified as useless....

If for some reason you're still using Eastbay at midnight for a big release, then pray, cause them crashing is about as sure a thing as the Bulls needing D-Rose to win a championship.
QFT.

it was crazy to because by 6 am the parking lot started to fill up ... it really started to fill up when the sun came up and they wouldnt open the door.... a dude saw the guy go in from champs he caught the door and held it so it wouldnt close all the way they waited then run around to let everyone in while dudes at the other door watched us in line they were banging on the door for us to open it BUT NO SIR i was sixth in line .... every store had like 40 at like 4 stores

Dudes ask how people got through online, then when a hand full of people say they got in with ease they get all mad. They were just answering the question. Some people can't win on here
laugh.gif

One thing, the leather on these being stiff and not as thin as on the mars and military retros, means I'll get the military in June

Dunno My Pair was easy to get. Walked to boys store walked in the store room and walked out with my pair. All Before release date. I;m too old to do that waiting in line or hoping the server is going to hold up non-sense. Personally I like my pair.. wish leather was softer but , I understand the type or leather selected for this shoe.. to help prevent creasing...

Originally Posted by trappedintime

Originally Posted by realdillxxx

I didn't get my size 12 but I'll let the hype fade out. Prices will come back to earth just like they did with the concords. Two weeks ago I got 2 pair of concords, one for $290 and one for $275 and normally size 12 is hard to find for that price.

That's considered coming back to earth? Those prices? SMH. And let's be real, if you check eBay you'll find Concords still selling weekly for more than that. I highly doubt these drop down to the 200-225 range, but we'll see. A few people said NDC orders placed before the site was taken down around 2:30 AM would be cancelled. For that reason I copped in person today. I've never sold above retail, so I think I would rather trade than gouge with these extra pairs I have coming next week. Reality is though the market deems it fair to sell these 250-300. And unlike some other communities I'm a part of and things I collect, no one has ever offered me a deal on retail sneakers round these parts. PTOne may be the only dude that actually buys for others without imposing a tax.

Can't we be real and admit that even on NT there's a lot of shady people? Resellers, liars, just not good people? There's also some excellent ones, but I haven't found too many people who want to do mutually beneficial trades or work connections for each other. And it makes sense: by nature this is a very materialistic and greed oriented collector/style community. Just the fact that people call it a "game" speaks to the level of manipulation at a high level.

I've come to grips that this isn't what it was when I was 8-16 years old and buying the one new model or a couple color ways to play basketball in, to "be like Mike" or show my support of my hometown team. It's way beyond that in 2012, and most of the people in this "game" are greedy teenagers. It creates a lot of mixed emotions for me as someone who has been buying since the early 90's.

you just realized this? its been like this after 2001, its only picking up speed now

For anyone that didn't get their yet, definitely go a half size down. I'm a 12/12.5 and my 11.5 fits me PERFECT. They fit like the BC IIIs but a little bigger. Overall the quality isn't half bad. Shape is a little off and they're a bit bulkier than other IVs. Showed up at my spot at 7:15 and there was alrdy 2 dudes there. Usually there is no one that waits for Jordan releases at the mall I go to. By the time 10 am rolled around there was a pretty big group of people waiting. This release was a lot bigger than I thought it would be. Met some cool people though and happy to have these, definitely one of my grails. On to the pics..

Originally Posted by Supermanblue79

Originally Posted by baysfinest

The production / allocation numbers were the worst that I've ever seen for a GR. There's no excuse for major retail chain stores to have only 5 to 7 pairs in a major city. I saw a lot of heated loyalists this morning. The footlocker that I bought my pair from had a total of 4 pairs.

yea that's because they were probably holding pairs like most places do... do you really believe they only had 5-7 pairs?

Even with employees holding pairs the total inventory would stillbe at 25 pairs just a year ago. The truth is that JB ha cut production, while increasing prices to increase sales of the Signature Sneaker and increase profits.

I believe this statement cause I talked to the manager at the Hibbetts in the mall and she told me and always have let me know how many pair they had beforehand that she usually gets about 36to48 pair and last week for the retro 10s she only got 14 and this week she got 24 pair total. And she said that all of the Hibbetts that even got these the allocation of units have shrunk.

Never have i been so disgusted smh. First i must admit i totally underestimated the hype of this release. Round here, only the 11s are like super hard to get at the stores. I went to the stores this morning with the same attitude as i did when the white cement 3s came out last January. Thinking it wouldnt be as bad... Boi was i wrong. I get there and it mad packed. Seems like hypebeasts are growing more and more as the years go. I dont care what anyone says. @+*!% clearly messed up cause of hypebeasts, "i wanna be cool", lames. as well as resellers. So disgusted as Im in line, watching ppl, who bring their girlfriend, or kids, to get them an xtra pair, since its limited to one a person. Them come back to those of us in line who didnt get a pair, and offer to sell for $280. Jst ridiculous. Missed out on the kobe cloak as well due to similar scams... just beyond wack man

I learned a long time ago that coppin instores is not the way to go. Too many damn crazy fools with their pants in the ground. Cats were camping out for 8 hours here. I only try NDC, and if I don't get them, it wasn't meant to be.

Originally Posted by PainBL

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

Originally Posted by UPPTEMPO8387

I don't think the reason shoes are more hyped and difficult to get now is because of the "hypebeasts and resellers." It's the internet. In the 90s, the only way you could flip a pair of kicks is by selling them to people you knew or by your friends telling their friends. Now, you can post your shoes on Niketalk, ISS, eBay, Craigslist, and any other sneaker forum you can find. That wasn't an option back in the day.

Not to mention, inflation raised the prices of clothes n other things. In the 90s, a lot of people were hesitant to drop $150 on some sneakers, so they passed or waited for a sale. In 2012, Air Max, Nike retros, LeBrons, Kobes, etc are all in the $150+ range so it makes it more acceptable to drop so much on a pair of sneakers.
Internet was around at the turn of the century and it wasn't this bad champ, good job trying to justify what people do now.
Even back then they were widely available.  GR's stores could get multiple orders, none of this created limited availability.

All retro's from the start until about 2005 were an easy buy, walk in and walk out with no hassle.  Then it died out a bit completely and came back with a fervor after the Space Jams dropped a couple of years ago.

It's not inflation though boss.  IV's were $100 back then, and that was with marketing and development in the books.  Now, they are $160 with cheaper materials, no R&D, and no ads.  Think about it.  It's bad that Nike/JB has priced these too high, forces the secondary market to sell them high as well in order to turn a very minimal profit.

It's still not acceptable to drop $150+ on a pair of sneakers.  Maybe in this community, but outside of it, people will not understand.  Good try though, A for Effort, D for execution.

Market manipulation, JB is creating supply and demand.
I'm sure I'll get flamed by some of the noobs after this for saying what I feel.

Got to agree with Iron Man though. It's not the internet, these problems nowadays are more about people and how they conduct themselves, along with JB manipulating and exploiting consumers. Things have never been this bad except for when XI's would periodically release. I've seen hundreds of releases in one way or another since I started regularly buying J's (meaning more than once a year) around 1996 or so. But the ever increasing hoarding and greed that I see in our "hobby" continues to surprise and disappoint me. The most disgusted I've ever been with a release, or with this "hobby", was probably last night, despite the fact that I did eventually get an order through.

June 1, 1999 I happened upon a small local mom and pop that was selling the white/cement IV's a day early and established a connection that I still have to this day. Got the IV's for $99.99 plus tax. No lines, no riots, no trouble.

June 2, 1999 I waited outside a local Footaction on release day about half an hour before they opened, with about 2 or 3 other people. Got a second pair for $99.99 plus tax. No lines, no riots, no trouble, and 2 were enough for me.

How much things change. Nearly 13 years later on February 17-February 18, 2012 starting at 9PM Pacific Time I tried nearly in vain for 4 hours to call various places and order off of various websites. As the single parent of a 14 month old toddler now, I refuse to actually take her out in the hysteria that accompanies many recent Jordan releases. I barely got an order through on FNL. So far it's looking legit as I got a confirmation and they charged my debit card. More than anything I found that Eastbay's phone and online systems have become a total joke, along with Nike's and Finish Line's websites, for which I feel there are no excuses. Each entity makes MILLIONS off of a SINGLE release, I think they can afford infrastructure improvements.

But infrastructure is only a piece of the problem. A bigger piece? People. Resellers are part of it. So are beasts who hoard and buy up everything they can get like there's no tomorrow. Or cats salty because they couldn't get their own size so they buy all the bigger ones to flip. How many of all of the above have you seen bragging in this thread alone? People acting like Dependable Jay, buying 4, 6, 8 pairs that they'll never actually use. If it's something I personally learned from my time in this "hobby" the past decade, it's that people don't need to hoard 20 pairs of a single colorway when there's a bunch more folks out there who never even got 1. You get hit by a bus tomorrow, it's not like you're taking them with you. I used to collect because it was fun and not nearly impossible to do. Not so much anymore.

Don't think JB and even MJ himself don't realize and exploit this. Many of us repeatedly go through all the headache, caused by insufficient infrastructure and peoples' greed, to cop releases, and for what? The "privilege" of paying for a more cheaply made pair of kicks that have been marked up 60% in a decade. Since when has inflation in America accounted for a 60% raise in the price of ANY consumer product in the course of 13 years? Besides maybe gasoline? I think JB's business practices are shady at best, and many times shameful. It manipulates supply and demand masterfully, and succeeds despite not actually "caring" about whether its consumers are satisfied in the end. It knows regardless of what it puts out that many of us will be back like crack fiends. It especially exploits the idea that its products are luxury items in lower income urban communities and thrives off of that. I swear, JB has got to be one of the very few corporations that have strengthened during the recession, it's unbelievable. I used to respect and look up to MJ as an athlete, but in recent years I see him for the person he really is-a petty, greedy egomaniac above all else. I kind of laugh a little inside when I think how his "brand" has signed so many eventually faded athletes who were once pegged as the "next Jordans" in their sport. Look at how that also translates to how he runs the Bobcats and what a great record they've had since he took over, LOL. I smile because I know it's got to be eating him alive that he can't seem to put together a winner on the court.

So why exactly is it I still buy J's at all if I'm so dissatisfied with him and his brand? It used to be a lot about what MJ did in them. Now it's more about what I did in them. When I first had many of my OG's as well as earlier Retros like the '99 black/cement IV's, white/cement IV's, '00 black/silver V's, etc. it was a much simpler time in my life with lots of fond memories from those times. I won't fund a reseller's habit, so if I don't get stuff at or below retail I don't get it. If I miss out, like with the Concords, it's not like the sun won't come up tomorrow or anything. And I know I'm not saying anything new, so take this all however you want. I know you noobs will just say I sound like a grumpy old man. Whatever.

It just sucks when people miss out on getting 1 or 2 pairs of a shoe they really want because of so many other greedy hoarding bastards.

Sounds like me and you are around the same age...I feel the EXACT same way but I don't ever express it because of all the young arseholes on this board.  90% of the time, this board is just as bad as the servers for these sites on release days.  Riddle me this, PM me that.  This board was created to HELP people, not horde all the information to a select few.  I have been a member of this board for over 7 years, been through a few screen names, and have NEVER seen such childish games being played.  Don't even get me started on the re-sellers, im liable to smash my laptop just thinking about it...

Originally Posted by Big daddy 8523

Originally Posted by baysfinest

yea that's because they were probably holding pairs like most places do... do you really believe they only had 5-7 pairs?

Even with employees holding pairs the total inventory would stillbe at 25 pairs just a year ago. The truth is that JB ha cut production, while increasing prices to increase sales of the Signature Sneaker and increase profits.

I believe this statement cause I talked to the manager at the Hibbetts in the mall and she told me and always have let me know how many pair they had beforehand that she usually gets about 36to48 pair and last week for the retro 10s she only got 14 and this week she got 24 pair total. And she said that all of the Hibbetts that even got these the allocation of units have shrunk.
Couple things:

1. Jordan Brand is 0% responsible for distribution WITHIN chains...how do you not understand that?

2. You guys can not judge the amount of units produced based on how many your local stores received...production on these is inline with all other Jordan Retro releases over the past few years...

3. Demand is high on this release...you guys will find ANYTHING to complain about...you guys will claim "rotting on the shelves" if the liquidation isn't 99% and on the other hand claim "Jordan Brand is screwing the consumer" if you have trouble getting a pair...nothing JB does will ever satisfy the fickle "sneakerhead" community...

Get over yourselves and grow up...

JM

what's the most you guys will pay a reseller for these? i need a pair but dont think these 230 and up prices are worth it. hopefully the hype comes down in a week or so...

The way peeps go crazy over every release regardless of how JB downgrades quality and design, NO WONDER THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT IMPROVING QUALITY. Instead they keep raising prices

Back in 1999, it wasn't a hassle to get these. I remember, a lot the kids were into pokemon cards in those days. Today you have to put in a lot of effort for a watered-down version of what WAS an awesome shoe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom