Official Air Max 97 Thread

Went to my local finish line stores. Didn't have them. Asked if they are dropping on the 15th. No idea they said. One employee even asked me if the Air Max 97 was a real model.

I just said "yes" and walked away.

Useless. I went into my store and asked about the Vapormax and they haven't heard of it or seen it. They said they should google it because it sounded cool. I left.
:rofl: :rofl:

I've yet to come across a sneaker store employee that had at least a bit of knowledge on some of the shoes they sold. :stoneface:

I don't recall any OG having a translucent sole either.

That's because they didn't haha. Not sure where this is coming from. I know I still have mine, I'll just have to figure out where they are.

Peace,
J

Good to know I'm not alone here. It's hard for me to find original pics doing a google search but I know I would've remembered a black/white outsole. OG retail pairs were "solid". Seen a OG Carl Lewis Nike ad with the blk/white sole so I guess that adds to the confusion. They were solid though.
I'm sorry, but you are 100% wrong.

All of the OGs had a black outsole with white and red accents throughout.

They did not feature clear soles in any way shape or form.  

I've owned every iteration of the OG and most of the SCs from 98-99 and I can tell you that none of them had clear soles.

I'm not sure where you're getting your info from, but I'd love to see some reference images or proof.

Nike started using that terrible semi-translucent smoked outsole around 08-09 and only recently was it corrected back to its original form.  

View media item 2377358

Last edited:
I miss that pearl midsole.
nthat.gif

I can't find myself to pull the trigger on these... This picture UNDFTD posted really kinda did it for me.. 

I ordered off UBIQ -- got timed out but received a PayPal email confirm for the RT's. Wasn't sure if that went through so I copped another off UNDFTD.

So I may have an extra pair coming in. If anyone needs a size 9 lmk.

Good to know I'm not alone here. It's hard for me to find original pics doing a google search but I know I would've remembered a black/white outsole. OG retail pairs were "solid". Seen a OG Carl Lewis Nike ad with the blk/white sole so I guess that adds to the confusion. They were solid though.
I don't think I was agreeing you. What I meant by "solid" was, solid black material, not translucent or icy/clear. I always pictured them as having solid black rubber traction pods with the white cross hatching.  That little air pod thing in heel was a detail I thought was "futuristic" at the time
laugh.gif

Anyways, I have the worst memory so my 2 cents doesn't carry much weight.

Just seeing that Carl Lewis ad above, I assume that's the ad you were talking about. It seems like perhaps we are all saying the same thing.

That picture is how I remember the outsole.

Regardless, pretty cool story you have about working and saving up for them. Makes me wonder if any kids these days mow lawns or have to "save" up for a pair

Last edited:
:rofl: :rofl:

I've yet to come across a sneaker store employee that had at least a bit of knowledge on some of the shoes they sold. :stoneface:

Nowadays I don't even ask questions anymore. I go in look around for myself and if the shoe ain't there I leave. 99% of them don't know anything about shoes and just stand around tryna look cool and when you do ask for a size they look at you like you're botheringTF out of them...clowns. No offense to the other 1% that know their stuff...lol. That's just how it is in my city.

Last edited:
Nowadays I don't even ask questions anymore. I go in look around for myself and if the shoe ain't there I leave. 99% of them don't know anything about shoes and just stand around tryna look cool and when you do ask for a size they look at you like you're botheringTF out of them...clowns. No offense to the other 1% that know their stuff...lol. That's just how it is in my city.
During college I worked at one of the major retailers. Yes, I cosign this, there was almost no knowledge about sneakers, or people just made things up. It was a minimum wage retail job that sucked the soul out of anyone with even the slightest interest in sneakers. Of course there were exceptions, but most of the time, people were busy figuring out how to make it look like they are working hard, and how to convince people to buy insoles or cleaning kits.

I used to look for the assistant manager to ask but nowadays that seems equally useless.

THIS! All day. I was in Finish Line around the time the XXXI's dropped, and had a pair on. Some kid working there saw mine and told me he liked "how they put the Air Force 1 symbol on them." I stared at him with the confused Nick Young look for a second, and when I realized he was talking about the Swoosh, I just turned around and left.

Peace,
J

During college I worked at one of the major retailers. Yes, I cosign this, there was almost no knowledge about sneakers, or people just made things up. It was a minimum wage retail job that sucked the soul out of anyone with even the slightest interest in sneakers. Of course there were exceptions, but most of the time, people were busy figuring out how to make it look like they are working hard, and how to convince people to buy insoles or cleaning kits.

I used to look for the assistant manager to ask but nowadays that seems equally useless.

Hand to God, I tried on a pair of Huarache Trainers a couple years back and noticed Nike had sewn the strap on upside down. Pointed it out to dude, and straightfaced, this jackass says "oh, naw, it's SUPPOSED to be like that." Handed the shoe back and told him "since you're gonna lie about it, you just lost a sale," and dipped.

What kind of nonsense is this? [emoji]128514[/emoji]

Peace,
J

Last edited:
carted a 10 for the RT on nbc..not sure though..gonna save my moneys for the Soho "sneak Peak" saturday

carted a 10 for the RT on nbc..not sure though..gonna save my moneys for the Soho "sneak Peak" saturday
I went through with my RT order. Worst case, I return it. You think there's going to be anything on Saturday beyond the red and platinum Vapormaxes? 

I guess I'm wrong guys. I have no shame in admitting that. As long as I get it right. Maybe my memory doesn't serve me well here and that 08-09 version confused me. Appreciate all the responses and looking into this. Maybe I'm confusing them with my AirMax deluxe that had a translucent out sole.

Last edited:
I went through with my RT order. Worst case, I return it. You think there's going to be anything on Saturday beyond the red and platinum Vapormaxes? 

I live in the city so it doesn't hurt to go and see. After all it was a random invite to Nike Soho so just the fact that it has some sort of exclusivity makes me curious. Hopefully there is something else besides Vapormax, gonna be ready for whatever if I go.

Back
Top Bottom