Official Alien(s) Franchise Tread. Alien: Romulus 8/16/24

Originally Posted by MrONegative

Honestly, it felt like he was just trolling to get the plot moving. I could say he thought he was helping dude get his answers, but then how did he know how it works, what it would do or how much was enough to do something?

This.

The only real explanation is
Spoiler [+]
Weyland told him to contaminate dude with the liquid to see what happens.

That or he was just trolling.

I really liked the movie too but like most said, that first scene messed me all up.
I hate how it ended, I HATE when movies end like that. I wanted to see her find their home planet.

Originally Posted by ATLsFinest

I really liked the movie, there were just too many questions left unanswered and one very unrealistic thing that bugged me. Spoilers ahead
Spoiler [+]
1. Yes, that was an Engineer sacrificing himself to start life on a new planet. 2. Things are a little more advanced in the movie than now, considering she pumped herself full of futuristic painkillers and she used a self-surgery machine, that's something you just have to believe. 3. A sequel is obviously an option. 4. It depends on what David said to him, so if he said Weyland wanted to be immortal/cured, then the Engineer was probably angry at the human's greed and selfishness. Plus, like you said, they were ready to destroy Earth, so why would he make small talk with humans.

Originally Posted by Nako XL

Honestly, it felt like he was just trolling to get the plot moving. I could say he thought he was helping dude get his answers, but then how did he know how it works, what it would do or how much was enough to do something?

This.

Spoiler [+]

david knew what was going to happen..he was reading the walls for god sakes...he understood everything they didnt

homeboy was being a tool to david the whole time

said "we built you just because we can...how would you feel if your god told you that?"
eek.gif

& weyland said he had "no soul"

david was just sick of it ...he learned alot in those 2 years

homeboy told david " i would do anything...anything...to find out why they put us here"

david became a "god" once he planted life inside homeboy

just to one up on his creators

as  like weyland was trying to do with the space jockeys

thats why he made that "dead parents" reference

he knew the jockey was going to give em the wammys
laugh.gif

the end was dope tho
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by G14

Originally Posted by Nako XL

This.

Spoiler [+]

david knew what was going to happen..he was reading the walls for god sakes...he understood everything they didnt

homeboy was being a tool to david the whole time

said "we built you just because we can...how would you feel if your god told you that?"
eek.gif

& weyland said he had "no soul"

david was just sick of it ...he learned alot in those 2 years

homeboy told david " i would do anything...anything...to find out why they put us here"

david became a "god" once he planted life inside homeboy

just to one up on his creators

as  like weyland was trying to do with the space jockeys

thats why he made that "dead parents" reference

he knew the jockey was going to give em the wammys
laugh.gif

the end was dope tho
pimp.gif
this is true though, David was being a condescending douche the entire movie. The best line was when Charlie asked David why he was wearing a space suit when he didn't breath and David answered "because you people prefer to work with those that look like you and not wearing a suit would defeat that purpose." That line had be like 
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
 because its so profound and true. In one line this robot strikes at the heart of many of the laws we have as humans.

Now we're getting somewhere. David is far and away the most compelling character in the film, but look at how much heavy lifting they give him. He pushes the entire plot of the film, but so much of it feels like reaching and trolling.

If he's the main character that drives the film, then make the film from his perspective. He's been programmer by Weyland, but his plan is to sell humanity out to the Engineers, because fugazi Tom Hardy hurt his feelings? How many million miles into their journey and he decides this? Because 5 minutes ago he was doing his hair trying to figure out how to act more human, but now unleashing the doomsday beast sounds like a fun experiment?

It feels like David played 3 different androids in one. One in spite of humanity, one in yearning of it like Pinocchio and one in service of it. It's not that the character is layered, but that his actions don't feel earned or consistent in the movie to me. If they'd spent even more time with him, working us through his thought process until they earned all these little plot twists and character changes, then sure...but nah. Fassbender killed it and it low-key felt like they were bridging Blade Runner and Alien, but the plot and writing for him just didn't work for me.

What'd you guys think of David? His character work to you?

Now we're getting somewhere. David is far and away the most compelling character in the film, but look at how much heavy lifting they give him. He pushes the entire plot of the film, but so much of it feels like reaching and trolling.

If he's the main character that drives the film, then make the film from his perspective. He's been programmer by Weyland, but his plan is to sell humanity out to the Engineers, because fugazi Tom Hardy hurt his feelings? How many million miles into their journey and he decides this? Because 5 minutes ago he was doing his hair trying to figure out how to act more human, but now unleashing the doomsday beast sounds like a fun experiment?

It feels like David played 3 different androids in one. One in spite of humanity, one in yearning of it like Pinocchio and one in service of it. It's not that the character is layered, but that his actions don't feel earned or consistent in the movie to me. If they'd spent even more time with him, working us through his thought process until they earned all these little plot twists and character changes, then sure...but nah. Fassbender killed it and it low-key felt like they were bridging Blade Runner and Alien, but the plot and writing for him just didn't work for me.

What'd you guys think of David? His character work to you?
I interpreted David's actions as him trying to help Weyland on the low the entire time. Everything from opening up the doors and ignoring orders from the other crew members to infecting dude were all attempted to find a way to help Weyland. I don't ever think he was trying to sell our humans

Ding ding ding. The writing for David was so inconsistent. We see so many interesting moments or possible takes on his character, but then we see another in the next scene and we're not given adequate justification or explanation. Too much is left up to the audience.. and that's not to say I don't want to be challenged or have to think about themes or aspects of the story, but you need to give the audience more concrete motivations for characters. It's fun to debate a lot of this, but it also stinks of lazy writing with the cover of something "deeper"

Originally Posted by ATLsFinest

I interpreted David's actions as him trying to help Weyland on the low the entire time. Everything from opening up the doors and ignoring orders from the other crew members to infecting dude were all attempted to find a way to help Weyland. I don't ever think he was trying to sell our humans
I get that, but if he learned enough to know what the black liquid was and that the Engineer would try to kill them all, he ain't really helping old man Weyland.
grin.gif
I guess 'try harder' meant start reaching and hope something works.

And that's another thing...I can take the leap of faith of this thing creating life on Earth...but that those civilizations would know the coordinates to this planet? That one day space travelers would figure out that dots in a cave were a planet they should visit? That the planet they went to isn't even the home of the Engineers but, what? A trap? That not only would they find exactly what they guessed from dots on the wall would exist there, but that Weyland would have so much faith, he'd stow away on the ship to find...what?

I think the movie was perfect until the storm hit. Then ******ed things happened that made the stuff that came before look stupid.

If you're gonna steal from Stargate, go all the way. Don't have it be dots on the wall, have it be a piece of a crashed Engineer ship. Have that piece say something about the fountain of life that dude is looking for. (Speaking of, way to throw that in just to complicate @%!$ even more for no reason) Then it could really be saying something...that maybe this Engineer was stranded, killed himself and accidentally sparked humanity. Maybe we were his mistake, and the Alien was the other Engineers correcting that. This first scene would've made more sense being the first scene of Prometheus 2.

And what the #$#$ was that scene with the head? That was the start of the movie going downhill. Hey, we just found the first alien in the universe that we think created humanity. No biggie, let's turn its brain on, cuz it doesn't need lungs to speak and we can definitely get something out of this.
indifferent.gif
That's when everyone starts doing dumb illogical stuff for the hell of it. You would swear the office guys from Cabin in the Woods were #!#%%#@ with them.

Spoiler [+]
I wonder if the Alien was created because David planted the black ooze in Holloway who then impregnated Shaw with his now infected sperm. That "baby" would then infect the engineer who had the alien burst out of his chest cavity. It doesn't seem like the black liquid alone created the Aliens of the original films. It seems like something else had to happen, that being the infected pregnancy of Shaw.

Originally Posted by dr funk 13

Spoiler [+]
I wonder if the Alien was created because David planted the black ooze in Holloway who then impregnated Shaw with his now infected sperm. That "baby" would then infect the engineer who had the alien burst out of his chest cavity. It doesn't seem like the black liquid alone created the Aliens of the original films. It seems like something else had to happen, that being the infected pregnancy of Shaw.
possibly

Spoiler [+]
Spoiler [+]
xenomorphs  probably exist in multiple forms already in other places. we have to remember that the Engineer/Space Jockey from Alien was fossilized...his chest had been opened hundreds, if not thousands of years before. Shaw's pregnancy and the birth of the proto-xenomorph or whatever you wanna call the thing that popped out of the dead engineer's chest couldnt have been the precursor to the Alien found by Ripley and her crew. Alien takes place in 2122..Prometheus in 2094...that's only a 28 year difference

Spoiler [+]
I don't know if it was mentioned but Prometheus landed on LV-223.  The Nostromo (Alien) landed on LV-426.  LV-223 is similar to Earth but LV-426 is complete inhospitable.  Both ships carried the DNA of xenomorphs (as evidenced in Promotheus) however, that particular strain was not the same one that was discovered by Ripley's crew.
Also an interdasting read:

Prometheus contains such a huge amount of mythic resonance that it effectively obscures a more conventional plot. I'd like to draw your attention to the use of motifs and callbacks in the film that not only enrich it, but offer possible hints as to what was going on in otherwise confusing scenes.

Let's begin with the eponymous titan himself, Prometheus. He was a wise and benevolent entity who created mankind in the first place, forming the first humans from clay. The Gods were more or less okay with that, until Prometheus gave them fire. This was a big no-no, as fire was supposed to be the exclusive property of the Gods. As punishment, Prometheus was chained to a rock and condemned to have his liver ripped out and eaten every day by an eagle. (His liver magically grew back, in case you were wondering.)

Fix that image in your mind, please: the giver of life, with his abdomen torn open. We'll be coming back to it many times in the course of this article.

The ethos of the titan Prometheus is one of willing and necessary sacrifice for life's sake. That's a pattern we see replicated throughout the ancient world. J G Frazer wrote his lengthy anthropological study, The Golden Bough, around the idea of the Dying God - a lifegiver who voluntarily dies for the sake of the people. It was incumbent upon the King to die at the right and proper time, because that was what heaven demanded, and fertility would not ensue if he did not do his royal duty of dying.

Now, consider the opening sequence of Prometheus. We fly over a spectacular vista, which may or may not be primordial Earth. According to Ridley Scott, it doesn't matter. A lone Engineer at the top of a waterfall goes through a strange ritual, drinking from a cup of black goo that causes his body to disintegrate into the building blocks of life. We see the fragments of his body falling into the river, twirling and spiralling into DNA helices.

Ridley Scott has this to say about the scene: 'That could be a planet anywhere. All he’s doing is acting as a gardener in space. And the plant life, in fact, is the disintegration of himself. If you parallel that idea with other sacrificial elements in history – which are clearly illustrated with the Mayans and the Incas – he would live for one year as a prince, and at the end of that year, he would be taken and donated to the gods in hopes of improving what might happen next year, be it with crops or weather, etcetera.'

Can we find a God in human history who creates plant life through his own death, and who is associated with a river? It's not difficult to find several, but the most obvious candidate is Osiris, the epitome of all the Frazerian 'Dying Gods'.

And we wouldn't be amiss in seeing the first of the movie's many Christian allegories in this scene, either. The Engineer removes his cloak before the ceremony, and hesitates before drinking the cupful of genetic solvent; he may well have been thinking 'If it be Thy will, let this cup pass from me.'

So, we know something about the Engineers, a founding principle laid down in the very first scene: acceptance of death, up to and including self-sacrifice, is right and proper in the creation of life. Prometheus, Osiris, John Barleycorn, and of course the Jesus of Christianity are all supposed to embody this same principle. It is held up as one of the most enduring human concepts of what it means to be 'good'.

Seen in this light, the perplexing obscurity of the rest of the film yields to an examination of the interwoven themes of sacrifice, creation, and preservation of life. We also discover, through hints, exactly what the nature of the clash between the Engineers and humanity entailed.

The crew of the Prometheus discover an ancient chamber, presided over by a brooding solemn face, in which urns of the same black substance are kept. A mural on the wall presents an image which, if you did as I asked earlier on, you will recognise instantly: the lifegiver with his abdomen torn open. Go and look at it here to refresh your memory. Note the serenity on the Engineer's face here.

And there's another mural there, one which shows a familiar xenomorph-like figure. This is the Destroyer who mirrors the Creator, I think - the avatar of supremely selfish life, devouring and destroying others purely to preserve itself. As Ash puts it: 'a survivor, unclouded by conscience, remorse or delusions of morality.'

Through Shaw and Holloway's investigations, we learn that the Engineers not only created human life, they supervised our development. (How else are we to explain the numerous images of Engineers in primitive art, complete with star diagram showing us the way to find them?) We have to assume, then, that for a good few hundred thousand years, they were pretty happy with us. They could have destroyed us at any time, but instead, they effectively invited us over; the big pointy finger seems to be saying 'Hey, guys, when you're grown up enough to develop space travel, come see us.' Until something changed, something which not only messed up our relationship with them but caused their installation on LV-223 to be almost entirely wiped out.

From the Engineers' perspective, so long as humans retained that notion of self-sacrifice as central, we weren't entirely beyond redemption. But we went and screwed it all up, and the film hints at when, if not why: the Engineers at the base died two thousand years ago. That suggests that the event that turned them against us and led to the huge piles of dead Engineers lying about was one and the same event. We did something very, very bad, and somehow the consequences of that dreadful act accompanied the Engineers back to LV-223 and massacred them.

If you have uneasy suspicions about what 'a bad thing approximately 2,000 years ago' might be, then let me reassure you that you are right. An astonishing excerpt from the Movies.com interview with Ridley Scott:

Movies.com: We had heard it was scripted that the Engineers were targeting our planet for destruction because we had crucified one of their representatives, and that Jesus Christ might have been an alien. Was that ever considered?

Ridley Scott: We definitely did, and then we thought it was a little too on the nose. But if you look at it as an “our children are misbehaving down there

I can't believe this movie is TWO hours long and so underdeveloped 
30t6p3b.gif
.  Prometheus went way too fast, they should have done what everyone expected and made Prometheus a movie about the Space Jockeys and throw in the start of Weyland Corps., the creation of David, and their mission.  Then Prometheus 2 could have been the humans finding LV-whatever and everything else.  That may be a little too detailed, but there wouldn't be some random intro scene of the creation of humans and then in the very next scene 1000000000000 years later...

Originally Posted by thegoat121886

Spoiler [+]
Spoiler [+]
xenomorphs  probably exist in multiple forms already in other places. we have to remember that the Engineer/Space Jockey from Alien was fossilized...his chest had been opened hundreds, if not thousands of years before. Shaw's pregnancy and the birth of the proto-xenomorph or whatever you wanna call the thing that popped out of the dead engineer's chest couldnt have been the precursor to the Alien found by Ripley and her crew. Alien takes place in 2122..Prometheus in 2094...that's only a 28 year difference
Spoiler [+]
In the scene with the tomb with all those little pods, Holloway is shown looking at the xenomorph on the wall with it's arms splayed out (Christ?). They're basically saying this is the precursor of the xenomorph we all know of today.

Spoiler [+]
I wish the engineers were explained better. Maybe part 2... I also wish they went deeper into Weyland corp and what else they've created.

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

worth Imax vieweing?
Yes. It looked spectacular in IMAX.

Forgot to say I also thought the movie was pretty good. Not as bad as some NTers made it out to be especially after reading it wasn't supposed to be a direct sequel to Alien.

3/5 for me. It was entertaining, but it gets crazzzyyy. Not necessarily my type of movie, but it was a good watch.

Originally Posted by thegoat121886

Spoiler [+]
Spoiler [+]

Ridley Scott has said that Prometheus and the first Alien movie take place on two completely different planets.

There are stories between this one and the original.

Back
Top Bottom