Official Alien(s) Franchise Tread. Alien: Romulus 8/16/24

That's just low-hanging fruit.

People have bigger issues, but that's just them taking a jab and keeping it moving, cuz they can't be bothered anymore, even though they do have bigger problems with it.

I know. I'm just saying rarely have I ever seen so many people get hung up on a somewhat trivial moment. I mean, it'd be like watching a horror movie and being upset when a guy leaves the group and say "I'll be right back", and he dies two minutes later.

That's just low-hanging fruit.

People have bigger issues, but that's just them taking a jab and keeping it moving, cuz they can't be bothered anymore, even though they do have bigger problems with it.

I know. I'm just saying rarely have I ever seen so many people get hung up on a somewhat trivial moment. I mean, it'd be like watching a horror movie and being upset when a guy leaves the group and say "I'll be right back", and he dies two minutes later.

Not to mention the fact that the snake scene has been explained numerous times in here. Also, a deleted scene explains it better. I am eager for a sequel. They could go in a million different directions with it.

I'll try to answer some for you...

Had no idea why David was doing what he was doing infecting and doing things on his own, and it wasn't really explained until Weyland came on the movie but still wasn't really clear. Also how he just knew how to work the controls of the ship.

He knew how to work the controls because he watched the hologram of the Engineer operating the ship. This showed him how to do it. He also was able to somewhat translate their language because it was a derivative of something humans knew.

Why didn't Shaw tell the rest of the crew what David was up to when she took out that alien baby out of her, instead just goes along with them.

There wasn't much time left. Weyland and David were going on the ship REGARDLESS. It was a join us, or stay here moment. Her opinion didn't matter at that point. And as a scientist she WANTED to meet the Engineer.

Also why the two scientists can sleep in the cave or whatever with their helmets on but at the end of the film Shaw had 30 minutes of air left after going out and seeing the engineer to the ship crashing.

Because there was terraforming done in the cave. I.E the air was converted into breathable oxygen in the cave. The Engineers need oxygen to survive too, they're the precursor to us. On the surface the air was unbreathable.

Also why does she have her bare hands out at towards the end of the movie, and if it's just the air being unbreathable then why not just wear a mask or something?

Not sure what this means.

thanks for the response. sort of get it. but for the first question, I was referring to how David started up the holograms after just looking at the wall and seeing that green slime, started pressing the slab and got it to work, same with the door with the big head statue inside.

As far as the two scientists sleeping in the cave, I know there was breathable air in the cave but obviously the air coming in from their suit was from an oxygen tank right? So they kept their helmets on after Holloway took it off and left for outside. So why didn't they run out of air all that time being in the cave with their helmets on.

and for the last question, she didn't have gloves on while outside. Her bare hands were exposed while she was in her suit and helmet was on. I know it was just referenced that the air was unbreathable outside but I guess i'm just nitpicking at this point. like why the hell didn't they just wear a mask/helmet in the first place instead of a full on suit.

And as far as Holloway saying he'd do "everything and anything" that allowed David to infect his drink, didn't he know that he'd have relations with Shaw. So wouldn't his morals or ethics stop him from Holloway infecting Shaw since she didn't give him "consent"? Also when Shaw told David he wanted the egg out, but instead just anesthesized her, wasn't that in conflict of his laws since it puts her in harms way and told him that she wanted it out of her?

guess I'll give this a second watch and pay more attention to the dialogue since it's still very confusing. I guess people who hated the movie hates it because the people who liked/loved the movie has to say "oh it was explained in the deleted scenes/alternate script" or "it references the aliens movies so they should have picked up on it". Half the answers after I posted my question was pretty much referencing the Aliens series. I actually liked the movie from my first time seeing it but there were just some moments that didn't make sense without having to go back and look at the Aliens movies, and while I did see all of them, it's not like I have that knowledge ready at the back of my mind.

I see what you’re saying about Holloway having sex with Shaw. However, David can justify his action by claiming that he doesn’t know any of Holloway’s intentions, or what the black goo might do. Also, remember that David was watching their dreams while in stasis. He may have known Shaw was infertile, so it wouldn't matter.

Also, I think it’s fairly obvious that David told Weyland about the black goo, and Weyland wanted to know what it could do. The only way to find out was to conduct an experiment, and David hated Holloway enough that he chose him (recall all those jabs Holloway took at David). However, I think there was a small sliver of hesitation in David, which was alleviated when Holloway said “anything and everything”. David basically coerced him into “volunteering” for the job.

As for David’s actions surrounding Shaw being impregnated, it’s important to note the similarities to Ash’s actions in Alien. When Kane is returned to the ship with the facehugger attached, he’s quarantined immediately. Ash overrules Ripley’s orders to keep Kane in quarantine, thus endangering the whole crew. He basically ignores Kane, and focuses on the facehugger. It’s only later that we find out Ash is a robot, and what his directives are. He actually knows what they’re dealing with, and it turns out his directive was to recover the alien life form and return it, at the expense of the crew.

David might have had a similar directive. Recover an alien life form (any life form) if they come across one, and at the crew’s expense. They had no way of knowing what they were dealing with though (whereas Ash had a frame of reference).

"Big things have small beginnings"

the small things people are hung up on had major impacts on how things played out in the movie.

...for example. the role of Fifield and Millburn was pretty much to introduce us to the threat of the aliens.

and thats perfectly fine.

we get it. these guys were pawns for our entertainment.

the red shirts noname guys on Star Trek beaming down to check something out. cool.

the problem in that is the writers went through the trouble of giving Fifield a set of self orbiting 'orbs', that can fly around like a roomba mapping out uncharted spaces, all while being able to send 3D-GPS like images wirelessly over X amount distances back to the ship.

you DO realize that the same 3D-GPS map gave a real time indication of each orb as well as the crew inside of the cave right? whereas since the ship crew was watching the entire time from the helmet and suit cams, they could have easily directed them back to their point of origin.

did we mention Fifield also has a communicator for the orbs on his arm that was giving him directions

oh, and not to mention hes a Geologist?

see, its not that anyone has a problem with Fifield and Millburn dying. the problem is the inconsistency of the intellect of those characters versus their actions.

this isnt Scary Movie part 56.

this isnt Michael Bay's Transformers

those inconsistencies insult my intelligence.

3) Why would the scientists take their helmets off on a strange new planet?

The obvious answer here is the computers and David recorded a breathable, Earth-like atmosphere. But the real answer is faith. Against his better judgement, Holloway removed his helmet to prove a point - that he and Shaw were right about a superior being creating life on this moon. Nay-sayers will go, "But what about alien microbes and diseases?" Well, exactly. Until David practically confesses the poisoning to Shaw at the end of the film, the crew assumed Holloway's sickness was because they stupidly removed their helmets.

im sorry.

you dont fly 2 years in hypersleep to make the greatest discovery of mankind only to potentially cut it short on such a dumb cowboy move. faith my ***.

1) Why did Millburn try to touch the snake-like alien when he was so scared before?

Actually it was Fifield the geologist who was shifting his pants earlier in the film. While Millburn had an aversion to piles of dead Engineer bodies, he WAS a biologist whose sole purpose there was to handle any wildlife they might encounter. So when a cute (yes, it was cute) snake-like alien pops up, of course he's gonna be interested. Have you ever seen biologist Steve Irwin? Biologists have a tendency to do dumb ****, especially when it's a new discovery.

I read somewhere that there was also a deleted scene that explained why he touched the snake.

i just dont buy it.

yeah, Steve Irwin always did stuff like that to animals on EARTH. animals he's probably read up on and knew about. not creatures across the galaxy.

the scene was forced and wack.

After the hype of seeing the movie died, I found the movie to be stupid and those 3 things above me were exactly why with emphasis on touching the snake. Made no sense.

I think Alien 3 and 4 (Resurrection) should be a bad dream Ripley had while in cryostasis. Btw, did y'all know that Joss Whedon wrote Resurrection? :lol: :smh: What a turd of a movie. He's come a long way.

I still think Prometheus is salvageable with a sequel only if it ties into the upcoming Alien flick. If not, what's the point?

Last edited:
Blomkamp has basically already confirmed his Alien movie is going to act as if 3 and 4 never existed.

Also, I'm sick of reading people online defending either of those movies. They are awful. So this is a good thing. I just hope Michael Biehn gets on board to play Hicks again (if that's the route they want to go).

Is there still a sequel for Prometheus in the works? I remember it was rumored to be called Paradise or something.

I liked Prometheus. There were definitely some very stupid moments but overall I enjoyed it.

Is there still a sequel for Prometheus in the works? I remember it was rumored to be called Paradise or something.

I liked Prometheus. There were definitely some very stupid moments but overall I enjoyed it.

Yes, it's scheduled to be released next year.

Yes, it's scheduled to be released next year.

Really? This great news and this is the first I heard of it. This movie has a love/hate thing and I don't believe it was received well by the masses. So glad they want to make a sequel though.

Last edited by a moderator:
It wasn't horrible, but I want more of a tie-in to Alien. I'm interested in the Engineers, but I'd like to know what that **** was that created the Xenomorphs and them being an accident was kind of lame. These ant-like creatures with a hive mentality just... happened? And they were hoarding all of those canisters why again?

Created more questions than it gave answers and I thought the point of the movie was to explain the origin of the Xenomorphs. They seemed to be an after thought.

Last edited:
I'm in the minority too :wow:. I think the movie looked great.

On another note, I can't wait for this Aliens sequel to come out.

that just it though, it LOOKED fantastic.
peoples problems with Prometheus came from the writers treating the audience like they were stupid.

its like the writers took a course in horror writing 101 and followed it step by step.

you have to know your audience
Sci-Fi fans are smarter than that.
and the Horror genre isnt so black and white or basic

there were far too many choices by the characters that made absolutely no sense and came off like those choices were made just to create artificial horror moments

im a Sci-Fi junkie myself
i can watch the worst, cheesiest Sci-Fi movies over and over again
that said, i hated Prometheus but have watched it too many times to count and i cant wait for the second one

If ya'll go to a comic store check out the Prometheus: Fire & Stone comics. Pretty cool stuff how they tie in the Predators too.

Pretty cool

Thanks for posting. Now I have to cross reference this with deleted scenes.

EDIT:

Why the **** was this scene cut? :smh:

After watching it and the video above, things make a lot more sense. The viral marketing stuff not in the movie should have been in the movie. The casual moviegoer doesn't have time to piece all of that **** together.

Had all of that info and deleted scene been included, this movie wouldn't have gotten nearly the number of complaints.

Last edited:
Is there a back story of how the Aliens and Predators came together?

am watching Aliens v. Predators movie but I have no idea how the Preds were able to control/shackle that big *** queen in the pyramid for so long...

makes you wonder if the Preds and Engineers had some sort of dealings with each other for the Preds to acquire/control the Aliens at some point...

Back
Top Bottom