::Official ask a Muslim vol. Salaam::

I have a few Muslim friends. They drink a lot of alcohol. I thought Muslims weren't allowed to drink?

I have a few Muslim friends. They drink a lot of alcohol. I thought Muslims weren't allowed to drink?

Originally Posted by RedMan

What rules do you live by (example 10 commandments)?
Muslims believe that Islam has existed since the beginning of the human race.  Adam (peace be upon him) was the first Muslim, it's just that we didn't call it Islam back then.  The prophets Jesus (peace be upon him) and Moses (pbuh) were all Muslims as well, but messengers of God.  And Muhammad (pbuh) is the last and final messenger in this line of Prophets, and completed the Message of God through the Qur'an and Hadith.

TreeoftheProphetsEnglish.jpg

To answer your question more directly, there is no equivalent listing of commandments as such, but since the Qur'ansees itself as a continuation of the Abrahamic Faith, it presupposes aknowledge of the Ten Commandments, and its general message adumbrates this - tothe point where Islam is deemed as the most uncompromising of monotheisticreligions - thus showing its adherence to the first commandment.

Many would say the 5 Pillars, which is most certainly crucial elements to being Muslim, but they are obviously not the only rules a Muslim lives by.

A truly beautiful verse comes to mind:
[h3]True piety does not consist in turning your faces towards the east or the west -- but truly pious is he who believes in God, and the Last Day; and the angels, and revelation, and the prophets; and spends his substance -- however much he himself may cherish -- it -- upon his near of kin, and the orphans, and the needy, and ...the wayfarer, and the beggars, and for the freeing of human beings from bondage; and is constant in prayer, and renders the purifying dues; and [trulypious are] they who keep their promises whenever they promise, and arepatient in misfortune and hardship and in time of peril: it is theythat have proved themselves true, and it is they, they who areconscious of God. (2:177 [Asad])[/h3]

Back
Top Bottom