OFFICIAL: BOSTON BRUINS 2011 STANLEY CUP CHAMPS!!!

weight-off-my-shoulders.png

pimp.gif

great effort all around. i feel like we should take philly. we match up much better with a team who plays rather than a team who tries to cheap its way to a win. hopefully with Philly's frail goalie situation, we can strike on the powerplay.

to the subban discussion, if he didnt play the synchronized diving game, i would LOVE his game. hes a great player, physically and mentally talented, but he plays like such a {} sometimes.. that tying goal was amazing.

weight-off-my-shoulders.png

pimp.gif

great effort all around. i feel like we should take philly. we match up much better with a team who plays rather than a team who tries to cheap its way to a win. hopefully with Philly's frail goalie situation, we can strike on the powerplay.

to the subban discussion, if he didnt play the synchronized diving game, i would LOVE his game. hes a great player, physically and mentally talented, but he plays like such a {} sometimes.. that tying goal was amazing.

I found the ESPN article about Datsyuk...

Updated: April 26, 2011, 5:02 PM ET

[h1]The underrated Pavel Datsyuk[/h1][h3]Even after awards, Stanley Cup the Red Wings' star still doesn't get credit he deserves[/h3]

By Tom Awad
Hockey Prospectus
Archive

nhl_g_liddat_576.jpg

Datsyuk has been a big reason for the Red Wings' success.

The first team to reach the second round of the playoffs, and the only one to sweep its first-round series, was the Detroit Red Wings. Their win over the Coyotes was their 11th series win in the last five years, by far the best in the league over that time. Everyone knows the Wings have one of the best defensemen of all-time in Nicklas Lidstrom, a Norris Trophy finalist at 40 years old, and 2008 Conn Smythe winner Henrik Zetterberg. What few people realize is that the third member of their elite trio, Pavel Datsyuk, should be considered not just among the NHL's stars, but among the best players in the world.

It's not that Datsyuk is ignored. After all, the man has won three consecutive Selke Trophies as the NHL's best defensive forward, was a finalist for the Hart Trophy as league MVP in 2009 and is often mentioned in the same breath as Brad Richards, Eric Staal, Joe Thornton and Henrik Sedin, who are blue-chip centers and bona fide stars. But despite those achievements, he is still underrated. Study him closely and you'll see a player that is even better than those blue-chip pivots just mentioned. In fact, the only players ahead of him in the NHL are superstars Alex Ovechkin and Sidney Crosby.

Just based on mainstream stats, Datsyuk has a solid case. But he looks even better using advanced metrics. Over the last four seasons, Datsyuk's cumulative GVT is 80.8, putting him third among skaters, behind Crosby (82.
glasses.gif
and Ovechkin (an incredible 108.7), even though he is only 10th in total points over that period. Datsyuk's value has always been as a two-way player, and while raw plus-minus isn't the best indicator of player value, over multiple seasons, it does give us a good idea of a player's skill. Over the last four seasons, Datsyuk is plus-103, second only to Ovechkin's plus-105.

A better statistic to use is relative plus-minus, which adjusts for the strength of the player's team by subtracting the team's average plus-minus. By that metric, Datsyuk has been the best in the NHL over that time span at plus-96.6, a hair ahead of Ovechkin's plus-96.5 and miles ahead of third-place Daniel Sedin, at plus-80.2. Lidstrom is fourth at plus-79.7.

If we dig further into advanced statistics, Datsyuk's star shines even brighter. Datsyuk is seldom penalized, as four Lady Byng trophies as the NHL's most gentlemanly player will attest, but he has drawn an average of 22 minor penalties more than he has taken, which means he has contributed roughly 4.4 goals per season to his team through drawing penalties. He also is one of the NHL's best faceoff men, winning 55 percent of his draws.

He has done all this while playing in the Central Division, which has been the toughest division in hockey for most of the last three years. Unlike Ovechkin, he doesn't have the benefit of piling up points against the Southeast; unlike the Sedins, he can't dump the hard work on a Ryan Kesler. What he has had going for him is what Crosby would love to have: good linemates. Datsyuk has typically played with Tomas Holmstrom and either Johan Franzen or, when Mike Babcock really wants to roll out his big guns, Zetterberg.

426ProspectusGraph.jpg

Hockey Prospectus

Over the last four years, Pavel Datsyuk has scored as many points as other top centers but has been much better in less obvious aspects.

To a certain extent, Datsyuk's modest point totals (by his standards) have hindered his recognition. Despite hockey fans becoming more sophisticated statistically, there is still a notion that large point totals equal MVP trophies. Last season, Henrik Sedin won the Hart Trophy because he led the league in scoring, despite Crosby having a better season. This season, attention has focused on Daniel Sedin instead of Kesler, his more deserving teammate.

In the end, Datsyuk may never get the recognition he deserves. Having started his NHL career at the relatively late age of 23, his career total of 651 points is modest, and he may never achieve the gaudy numbers that would guarantee the place he deserves in the Hall of Fame. But for now, he continues to weave his magic, make Detroit a threat in the Western Conference and be one of the most underrated superstars in the NHL.

Tom Awad covers hockey for ESPN Insider. He is the stats guru for Hockey Prospectus, and has been writing for them and for Insider since 2009. He has been working on advanced NHL statistics for ten years. You can find his ESPN archives here.

Great read btw
pimp.gif

I found the ESPN article about Datsyuk...

Updated: April 26, 2011, 5:02 PM ET

[h1]The underrated Pavel Datsyuk[/h1][h3]Even after awards, Stanley Cup the Red Wings' star still doesn't get credit he deserves[/h3]

By Tom Awad
Hockey Prospectus
Archive

nhl_g_liddat_576.jpg

Datsyuk has been a big reason for the Red Wings' success.

The first team to reach the second round of the playoffs, and the only one to sweep its first-round series, was the Detroit Red Wings. Their win over the Coyotes was their 11th series win in the last five years, by far the best in the league over that time. Everyone knows the Wings have one of the best defensemen of all-time in Nicklas Lidstrom, a Norris Trophy finalist at 40 years old, and 2008 Conn Smythe winner Henrik Zetterberg. What few people realize is that the third member of their elite trio, Pavel Datsyuk, should be considered not just among the NHL's stars, but among the best players in the world.

It's not that Datsyuk is ignored. After all, the man has won three consecutive Selke Trophies as the NHL's best defensive forward, was a finalist for the Hart Trophy as league MVP in 2009 and is often mentioned in the same breath as Brad Richards, Eric Staal, Joe Thornton and Henrik Sedin, who are blue-chip centers and bona fide stars. But despite those achievements, he is still underrated. Study him closely and you'll see a player that is even better than those blue-chip pivots just mentioned. In fact, the only players ahead of him in the NHL are superstars Alex Ovechkin and Sidney Crosby.

Just based on mainstream stats, Datsyuk has a solid case. But he looks even better using advanced metrics. Over the last four seasons, Datsyuk's cumulative GVT is 80.8, putting him third among skaters, behind Crosby (82.
glasses.gif
and Ovechkin (an incredible 108.7), even though he is only 10th in total points over that period. Datsyuk's value has always been as a two-way player, and while raw plus-minus isn't the best indicator of player value, over multiple seasons, it does give us a good idea of a player's skill. Over the last four seasons, Datsyuk is plus-103, second only to Ovechkin's plus-105.

A better statistic to use is relative plus-minus, which adjusts for the strength of the player's team by subtracting the team's average plus-minus. By that metric, Datsyuk has been the best in the NHL over that time span at plus-96.6, a hair ahead of Ovechkin's plus-96.5 and miles ahead of third-place Daniel Sedin, at plus-80.2. Lidstrom is fourth at plus-79.7.

If we dig further into advanced statistics, Datsyuk's star shines even brighter. Datsyuk is seldom penalized, as four Lady Byng trophies as the NHL's most gentlemanly player will attest, but he has drawn an average of 22 minor penalties more than he has taken, which means he has contributed roughly 4.4 goals per season to his team through drawing penalties. He also is one of the NHL's best faceoff men, winning 55 percent of his draws.

He has done all this while playing in the Central Division, which has been the toughest division in hockey for most of the last three years. Unlike Ovechkin, he doesn't have the benefit of piling up points against the Southeast; unlike the Sedins, he can't dump the hard work on a Ryan Kesler. What he has had going for him is what Crosby would love to have: good linemates. Datsyuk has typically played with Tomas Holmstrom and either Johan Franzen or, when Mike Babcock really wants to roll out his big guns, Zetterberg.

426ProspectusGraph.jpg

Hockey Prospectus

Over the last four years, Pavel Datsyuk has scored as many points as other top centers but has been much better in less obvious aspects.

To a certain extent, Datsyuk's modest point totals (by his standards) have hindered his recognition. Despite hockey fans becoming more sophisticated statistically, there is still a notion that large point totals equal MVP trophies. Last season, Henrik Sedin won the Hart Trophy because he led the league in scoring, despite Crosby having a better season. This season, attention has focused on Daniel Sedin instead of Kesler, his more deserving teammate.

In the end, Datsyuk may never get the recognition he deserves. Having started his NHL career at the relatively late age of 23, his career total of 651 points is modest, and he may never achieve the gaudy numbers that would guarantee the place he deserves in the Hall of Fame. But for now, he continues to weave his magic, make Detroit a threat in the Western Conference and be one of the most underrated superstars in the NHL.

Tom Awad covers hockey for ESPN Insider. He is the stats guru for Hockey Prospectus, and has been writing for them and for Insider since 2009. He has been working on advanced NHL statistics for ten years. You can find his ESPN archives here.

Great read btw
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Proshares

Roloson out there looking like he's wearing an Edmonton jersey again.
watch them make it to the finals then marc-andre friggin bergeron take him out in game 1
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

congrats bruins fans
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Proshares

Roloson out there looking like he's wearing an Edmonton jersey again.
watch them make it to the finals then marc-andre friggin bergeron take him out in game 1
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

congrats bruins fans
pimp.gif

Not saying anyone in here...but IMO, the majority of the hate towards Subban is because of his skin color....that's another topic for another day.

Caps/Bolts....this is gonna be a GREAT series. Hopefully the Caps take it in 6.

*edit*....in thinking about it, saying "majority" is the wrong word....probably better to say A LOT of the hate....

Not saying anyone in here...but IMO, the majority of the hate towards Subban is because of his skin color....that's another topic for another day.

*edit*....in thinking about it, saying "majority" is the wrong word....probably better to say A LOT of the hate....

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

I don't think the race card has anything to do with it, he came in as a rookie and instantly started getting under people's skin b/c he is confident...he's like Sean Avery but with actual talent 

I don't think the race card has anything to do with it, he came in as a rookie and instantly started getting under people's skin b/c he is confident...he's like Sean Avery but with actual talent 

/\ im with double js... Gettin under ppls skin by bein good? He only runs his mouth when ppl start n on him first which is,every game... Hes a constant target, if the microscope werent on him every second he wouldnt be considered a diver either... Imo he should be up for the norris... Hes the reason that team made the playoffs w/o markov

/\ im with double js... Gettin under ppls skin by bein good? He only runs his mouth when ppl start n on him first which is,every game... Hes a constant target, if the microscope werent on him every second he wouldnt be considered a diver either... Imo he should be up for the norris... Hes the reason that team made the playoffs w/o markov

Originally Posted by StillIn729

I do....there are PLENTY of confident guys in the league who don't get nearly as much %+%$ as he does from the fans, media and other players.  There's a lot of jealousy as well b/c he's so damn talented. 

I do....there are PLENTY of confident guys in the league who don't get nearly as much %+%$ as he does from the fans, media and other players.  There's a lot of jealousy as well b/c he's so damn talented. 

no I def feel what you are saying, I guess maybe I'm just blinded because I like PK and just ignore the hate, only time I hate him is when he is playing against the Flyers

no I def feel what you are saying, I guess maybe I'm just blinded because I like PK and just ignore the hate, only time I hate him is when he is playing against the Flyers

no way the hate from boston at least is from a race point. just go look at that campbell/subban in the corner play and that sums up my feelings. dudes is a beast, and i love black hockey playing for sort of defying the odds, cause they're so a-typical. but hes a little #$%!% sometimes. that said, i think he could hold his own fist to fist with a lot of the players in the league. if he wasnt a canadien, i'd probably go buy his jersey/shirt.

i like the avery with talent comparison. hes a damn good hockey player, despite everything else. even hal gill doesnt really like him, and they make a hell of a d-man pair.
laugh.gif

oh, and dennis seidenberg.
pimp.gif
holding %$%$ down games 3-7 and making the powerplay somewhat relevant when hes out there. going forward, i'd like to see kaberle/seids/ference play the points on the PP and if its so important that chara be out there, play him in the recchi role. aint no one moving him from in front of the net on philly.. besides pronger maybe.

no way the hate from boston at least is from a race point. just go look at that campbell/subban in the corner play and that sums up my feelings. dudes is a beast, and i love black hockey playing for sort of defying the odds, cause they're so a-typical. but hes a little #$%!% sometimes. that said, i think he could hold his own fist to fist with a lot of the players in the league. if he wasnt a canadien, i'd probably go buy his jersey/shirt.

i like the avery with talent comparison. hes a damn good hockey player, despite everything else. even hal gill doesnt really like him, and they make a hell of a d-man pair.
laugh.gif

oh, and dennis seidenberg.
pimp.gif
holding %$%$ down games 3-7 and making the powerplay somewhat relevant when hes out there. going forward, i'd like to see kaberle/seids/ference play the points on the PP and if its so important that chara be out there, play him in the recchi role. aint no one moving him from in front of the net on philly.. besides pronger maybe.

Back
Top Bottom