Official CAR AUDIO Thread FAQ added

I need the following info from you

Year of the car
Length from firewall to back door/trunklid/tail lights. Basically, the largest non-diagonal internal dimension in your car.
Max dimensions the sub box can occupy

Quick shoutout to Monday for being a big help. I just bought the component speakers you put up with the amp. I'll wait a bit to buy the subs and the amp for them until my funds are better situated. This car audio stuff can be daunting, especially if you don't know the first thing about it, (like me) but dudes like the people in here dropping knowledge is what makes it possible for dudes like me to have a nice system. Props to everyone.

What type of box would I need for the JBL subs? I want a nice deep, clean sound rather than the ground shattering thump.

Just had my DVD Nav, Amps and Subs stolen from my truck this past weekend.....I'm currently looking for a new double din DVD/Nav deck that can be wired to watch DVD's while driving....anyone know?

Originally Posted by Airupthere301

What type of box would I need for the JBL subs? I want a nice deep, clean sound rather than the ground shattering thump.
This is why i need those dimensions 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by mondaynightraw

Looked over some stuff

I'd go with these components.

http://www.woofersetc.com...nent-speaker-system.aspx

If you can stretch a lil more, go for these

http://www.woofersetc.com...ay-component-system.aspx

Use this to power the speakers
http://cgi.ebay.com/SOUND...ae14c64b6#ht_2312wt_1139

Go with 2 of the jbl p series 10's in the dual 2 ohm config

Use this for power
http://cgi.ebay.com/SOUNDSTREAM-RUB...Amplifiers&hash=item35b3fd9f9e#ht_2379wt_1062

....with you being such a big car audio guy in surprised at you endorsing anything coming from woofersetc.

- im an old car audio installer myself. i once used to buy from an online company by the name of NEXXON.COM. this was way back when all these car audio internet retailers hit the scene, and before i found out the truth behind how one retailer can offer so many different brands at 50% off or more. this was around the same time all those fake shoe sites popped up, and similar to the car audio sites a site selling every numbered Jordan for $84.99 and less was a dead giveaway.

......the thing about the car audio sites is its not always fake but it is a gamble. sometimes its just some small audio shop selling legit products out the back door. for me though, off the potential that i could end up with fake product im staying away. ive seen people buy product off one of those sites, and the product was defective.....BUT supposed to be under warranty because of the good name of the company (think McIntosh, or someone like Focal). how about dude sent his product in for repair and they straight up sent dude a letter back telling him "sorry, next time buy our products from an authorized dealer"
laugh.gif

- what most people dont know (some even say its illegal), is that the car audio companies make retailers sign a document prohibiting them from selling product under MSRP or they'll lose their license. thats why you never see price differences of more that $100 on those high dollar amps and subs from local places in your area.

.....oh and those $1,000 amps? they only cost the retailer $100-$200 or so. so you'd think after product sits on the self they'd slash prices to get it out the door right? they cant because of that contract. and actually the more i think on it i think it only prohibits them from publishing the price.

.....NEXXON was one of the best back then. lowest prices, (i think) free shipping, AND a no hassle return policy. then one day dude got caught and just closed up shop.

.....search NEXXON fake  or woofersetc fake and you'll see hella threads pop up about it. im surprised woffersetc is still up after all these years.

- but hey, like i said, unlike shoes its not always fake but it is always a gamble. you have authorized online dealers, fake products, and products sold out the back door, with online dealers mixing and matching whatever they want to make a profit. i tried looking for woofersetc authorized list but couldnt find it.

I've been buying from woofersetc for YEARS. The only fake stuff they've ever sold(that i remember) were 17 sets of morel tempo components. Apparently, some fake pairs were mixed in with the real stuff. Besides that mix up, they're legit. Same goes for sonicelectronix.

I've been buying from woofersetc for YEARS.

....oh no doubt. i remember when they first hit the scene. like i said, im just surprised they're still in business because most of those old sites have been shut down long ago.

The only fake stuff they've ever sold(that i remember) were 17 sets of morel tempo components. Apparently, some fake pairs were mixed in with the real stuff. Besides that mix up, they're legit. Same goes for sonicelectronix.

.....yikes. see, that to me was/is enough for me to stay away. to each his own though

- hey man, at least you are aware. some people still have a hard time believing fake electronics are sold online. i just cant do it. its like buying supposedly real J's from a known fakes seller. even if i could tell if it were legit it just wouldnt feel right.

....damn, i wanna get back in the car audio scene so bad
30t6p3b.gif
. one day.....one day. i still have a pair of DS 2003 15" OZ Audio Matrix Elites still in the boxes, and an Audiocontrol signal processor. my probelm is with me being a real audio guy i cant just throw any old thing together. i dont even know who makes good sub amps anymore. back then i was going to go with U.S. Amps but i think they went under.....or bought out by one of those Korean companies

Monday needs to get paid for this help... y'all better be sending my dude a little something by paypal.

Originally Posted by seasoned vet

I've been buying from woofersetc for YEARS.

....oh no doubt. i remember when they first hit the scene. like i said, im just surprised they're still in business because most of those old sites have been shut down long ago.

The only fake stuff they've ever sold(that i remember) were 17 sets of morel tempo components. Apparently, some fake pairs were mixed in with the real stuff. Besides that mix up, they're legit. Same goes for sonicelectronix.

.....yikes. see, that to me was/is enough for me to stay away. to each his own though

- hey man, at least you are aware. some people still have a hard time believing fake electronics are sold online. i just cant do it. its like buying supposedly real J's from a known fakes seller. even if i could tell if it were legit it just wouldnt feel right.

....damn, i wanna get back in the car audio scene so bad
30t6p3b.gif
. one day.....one day. i still have a pair of DS 2003 15" OZ Audio Matrix Elites still in the boxes, and an Audiocontrol signal processor. my probelm is with me being a real audio guy i cant just throw any old thing together. i dont even know who makes good sub amps anymore. back then i was going to go with U.S. Amps but i think they went under.....or bought out by one of those Korean companies

Us amps is now owned by maxxxsonics i believe. 
Maxxsonics owns hifonics, mb quart, crunch, and a couple other brands. They make decent budget stuff. Soundstream was awesome back in the day. They fell off in the mid 90's but have been making decent stuff for a couple years now. Audio control stuff is still cool and works well, but their stuff is dated. Those OZ subs are gems. Hold on to those. 

if u wanna get back into audio, look into underground brands like sundown, fi, dc, dd, fi car audio, skar audio,incriminator, etc 

Just let me know what you want to do and i'll lead you in the right direction 

Originally Posted by HankMoody

Monday needs to get paid for this help... y'all better be sending my dude a little something by paypal.
laugh.gif

You know what's funny? 90% of the people that have posted in here asking for help never take the advice 
grin.gif

Us amps is now owned by maxxxsonics i believe. 
Maxxsonics owns hifonics, mb quart, crunch, and a couple other brands. They make decent budget stuff.  

......hmm, that could be a good thing or a bad thing. last i remember MB Quart was a German company and was very high end stuff. and Crunch was your Saturday special type boasting big peak watts on big stickers amp. sounds like all those listed got bought out.

.....hold up *goes to maxxsonic website* THEY OWN AUTOTEK TOO!!  insert the 'aww hell naw' pic. thats a no go for all of those now
30t6p3b.gif
  damn times have really changed in car audio. i wouldnt touch any of that stuff.

Those OZ subs are gems. Hold on to those. 

....man, who you tellin'.

if u wanna get back into audio, look into underground brands like sundown, fi, dc, dd, fi car audio, skar audio,incriminator, etc 

Just let me know what you want to do and i'll lead you in the right direction 

- FI and DD ive heard of before but they're known for their subs though right? who makes a good clean sub amp today?

Originally Posted by HankMoody

laugh.gif

You know what's funny? 90% of the people that have posted in here asking for help never take the advice 
grin.gif

- from my years of installing car audio ive seen that most cats would rather listen to their homeboy than someone in the field that does this/or has all day.

- you can give someone the best advice on what would be best for them based off their application but they'll buy something because it sounds good in so and so's car 
eyes.gif

- either that or they're just plain cheap. ive seen cats go HAM on subs and try to wing it when it came to amps and vice versa. ive also seen cats go HAM on all the equipment then try and get joe joe's uncle around the corner to hook it up trying to save $200, exposed wires and all  
30t6p3b.gif

roll.gif

US Amps is actually owned by RE Audio.

Maxxaonics can still make some good budget products when they feel, look at the Crunch gp3k and autotek MM4000

What's good audioheads? Quick question from a noob in this department. I have an Alpine PDX-5 amp on the way. The mono channel designated for a sub is rated at 300 RMS (forgot if thats 2 or 4 OHMS). Anyway, my question is would that be adequate power for a Pioneer TS-SW2501S4 rated at 300 RMS with a peak of 1200? Keep in mind I'm not looking to set off car alarms, just a nice clean bump to round out the low end of my music.

*Bonus Question* Anyone in here have any first hand knowledge on 10inch shallow mount subs? I'm pretty set on the Pioneer, but if there is something that blows it out the water I'd be willing to change my mind.

Pic of my custom spare tire enclosure being made for my 09 WRX
pimp.gif

Spare tire enclosure by sirbuckington_ii, on Flickr

Yeah, that sub will work even though it's pretty meh

I assume space is a concern?

Bingo! I have a 09 WRX hatch. That thing has minimal trunk space and I need it to be able to haul around duffle bags, ruck sacks, etc. You know of any shallow mounts I should be looking at?

Ended up getting the Pioneer TS-SW2501S4 sub. I got it for $120. Couldn't pass on the price being that I've already dropped 2K on the system.

So as it stands my audio setup is:
Pioneer Z120BT -headunit
JL Audio C5-650 - front components
Polk Audio - DB6501 - rear components
Pioneer TS-SW2501S4 - 10 inch shallow sub
Alpine PDX-5 - 5 channel amp.

Hopefully should have everything installed this/next week!

Back
Top Bottom