**OFFICIAL CROSSFIT THREAD** **NO BULLIES ALLOWED**

Anyone have any experience doing a WOD in A pair of Nike Frees?

Used frees for a while a few years back (original 5.0's and 5.0 TR's) and they were not too bad as they are quite firm.
Only issue really was the stability on some lifts. Certainly better than trying something like a snatch in a pair of traditional running shoes though .

Has anyone worked out in these shorts? Curious how they fare. Only work out in 2Pood and Redline Gear shorts at the moment..

Any suggestions when searching for a Box?
Anything I should look for? Questions to ask?
I am looking at a couple places near work.
any advice is appreciated

Honestly, you should look at the history of their coaches and trainers (previous athlete, experience, education, certification, etc)

Watch how they interact with the people they're coaching...Are they're motivating?  Are they making they're correcting people on their form? Encourage mobility?  

Find out what other programs are available outside of just the crossfit classes?   Yoga? Oly Lifting classes? Massage Therapy? 

Do they have a Nutritionist?

Ask if you can try a class out to see how your peers interact with you.  the ideal of the crossfit program is to be encouraging, open arms oriented, fun but serious about fitness.

Hopes this help

Honestly, you should look at the history of their coaches and trainers (previous athlete, experience, education, certification, etc)

Watch how they interact with the people they're coaching...Are they're motivating?  Are they making they're correcting people on their form? Encourage mobility?  

Find out what other programs are available outside of just the crossfit classes?   Yoga? Oly Lifting classes? Massage Therapy? 

Do they have a Nutritionist?

Ask if you can try a class out to see how your peers interact with you.  the ideal of the crossfit program is to be encouraging, open arms oriented, fun but serious about fitness.

Hopes this help

Definitely!
I now have some things to look for when I attend a free class later this week.

Thanks!

Ironman- Just Sent! Thanks!

Honestly, you just got to do a lot of research

I'd just be looking at different websites left and right

I picked my first box cuz they offered me a groupon and they were within reasonable driving distance. The groupon was only for the month. Tried the classes for a month and I ended up liking it. I stayed for two years.

The second box - I was just scoping for boxes closer to me cuz I got tired of the random traffic going to the first box. I was going by how professional looking their site was, at the credentails of the coaches. Overall the deal breaker was that the coaches had a good reputation. I've heard about the coaches before even looking at their website. Also they were offering Oly classes and that for me was attractive - I'm basically full time Oly and I only do crossfit workouts on some rest days.

I think what helped me when I started out was that even though I was new to crossfit, I wasn't new to working out. I had a pretty good idea that the coaches at the first box knew what they were doing. I would've bounced if I sensed any lack of knowledge, etc. A bad sign is if you see a fellow crossfitter doing stuff with the wrong form and the coach is not fixing it. I would've been out if I saw that.

If you're starting crossfit and you're green to working out in general, it'd be tough. The coaches can be telling you the wrong things and you'd be none the wiser.

Last edited:

Yea, bro...definitely hit up ooiron manoo ooiron manoo Dude knows his ****. I bounced a few things off of him when I first signed up back in June.

Just started my first class yesterday...Hard for me to work out alone and I wasn't really wanting to go personal trainer route. I believe crossfit will def. fit into my work sched. and overall I loved the atmosphere.

Just started my first class yesterday...Hard for me to work out alone and I wasn't really wanting to go personal trainer route. I believe crossfit will def. fit into my work sched. and overall I loved the atmosphere.

That is the reason I am looking into it.
A group of people trying to get in better shape TOGETHER.
And it's almost like there is a personal trainer because there is someone overlooking each class.

It's really great. The camaraderie developed between regulars in a crossfit class is like none other lol

It's really great. The camaraderie developed between regulars in a crossfit class is like none other lol

One of the best thing about crossfit, the community aspect of it is awesome. Really helps to motivate you and push you

A bunch of boxes now have groupon/living social deals that would essentially let you test it out for 30 days at a minimal price. It's hard to sign up for a contract (those boxes that have them) based off a 1 day free trial workout they give you.

Location/price was a big deal to me too. I work a lot, so I don't wanna have to drive far and be stuck in traffic (so cal) just to get my workout in. Was doing that for a while and sometimes would get stuck in traffic and couldn't even make it to the workout. As far as price, I've seen some that have made say :wow: and not in a good way. But you can't knock the hustle, if people are willing to pay that, more power to them.

If you're in SoCal go check out ooiron manoo ooiron manoo

A bunch of boxes now have groupon/living social deals that would essentially let you test it out for 30 days at a minimal price. It's hard to sign up for a contract (those boxes that have them) based off a 1 day free trial workout they give you.

Location/price was a big deal to me too. I work a lot, so I don't wanna have to drive far and be stuck in traffic (so cal) just to get my workout in. Was doing that for a while and sometimes would get stuck in traffic and couldn't even make it to the workout. As far as price, I've seen some that have made say :wow: and not in a good way. But you can't knock the hustle, if people are willing to pay that, more power to them.

If you're in SoCal go check out ooiron manoo ooiron manoo

Yeah! The Groupons have made it intriguing to join one of these. The price is not that much different from gyms(w/ coupon) and you get a group workout w/ a coach every time.
I'm in SoCal/work Downtown and I've been attending 213(for the last couple of days) because it's literally 5 minutes away from work.

Are you still going to a box?

Yeah we've been in contact.

Thanks!

Groupons are a nice way to transition into crossfit. That's how I got into crossfit.

Just keep in mind that these boxes offering Groupons are looking for customers and may not be an established box.

Most places should have a 4 class (or so) free trial.

That was my intro, and I was hooked. Signed up for 4 mos. after...just re-upped for a year.

What I did was the free trial class, then they make you take a 6-class "elements" course where you do the basics with the same small group every time.  Good way to go into it imo.

Any recommendations for a speed rope, I'm 6'4 and the ropes at my local box ain't cutting it.

Back
Top Bottom