Official D.J. SCREW thread

I decided to make a thread about D.J. Screw and his influence both musically and culturally. This is in light of me recently becoming aware of a new “slowed down/reverb” music. Please post your experience with screw music and culture as well as where you are from. If you are unfamiliar with screw and are into the new reverb stuff I’d like to hear from you guys as well.

i am from Texas about 30 min away from south Houston. I don’t really remember how I got into it. i do remember when E.S.G. had a screwed version of Swangin and bangin on his album. That was in like 94. But other than that its just a regular thing I guess if youre older and from here

Lmao yo I saw that same stuff you probably saw earlier. All it amounted to was gentrified screw music to me. SoundCloud and YouTube is packed with watered down version of screw.

I got into Screw/SUC probably around 1997-1998. I use to be in the yahoo chats with my cousins from Houston. Ended up downloading a lot of freestyles from Flip on Kazaa and that other joint. Really got into it with the beef between Flip and ESG...and then Lil Flex, lol. The good old days.

Also, it’s a cat on YouTube, Donnie Houston, who interviews a lot of SUC members. My favorite interview right now is the Los interview.

I didn't really get into Texas rap heavy until high school (04-08) when Swishahouse was putting out heat, I had a TON of screw tapes on my itunes and lost them all. :smh:

I got into Screw/SUC probably around 1997-1998. I use to be in the yahoo chats with my cousins from Houston. Ended up downloading a lot of freestyles from Flip on Kazaa and that other joint. Really got into it with the beef between Flip and ESG...and then Lil Flex, lol. The good old days.

Also, it’s a cat on YouTube, Donnie Houston, who interviews a lot of SUC members. My favorite interview right now is the Los interview.

Very glad he got into the interview/podcast game. I watched the Yung Redd and Paul Wall ones don’t far. Very interested in the Lil’ 3rd one being that T.I. was basically using him as an informant during the Flip beef.

DJ Screw is so influential in today's culture. ITs crazy even today his impact is felt and people probably don't even realize it.

Very glad he got into the interview/podcast game. I watched the Yung Redd and Paul Wall ones don’t far. Very interested in the Lil’ 3rd one being that T.I. was basically using him as an informant during the Flip beef.
Man honestly 3rd was low key throwing shade the entire interview. Not only towards Flip, but C Note and the Botany Boys too. It was a decent interview. Z-Ro’s interview is good as well.

Man honestly 3rd was low key throwing shade the entire interview. Not only towards Flip, but C Note and the Botany Boys too. It was a decent interview. Z-Ro’s interview is good as well.

Took about 15 minutes in but yea it’s a lot of hating in this interview :lol: :lol:. It’s cool Lil 3rd actually looks healthy in this interview, cause he was looking strung out during the T.I./Flip beef

DJ Screw is so influential in today's culture. ITs crazy even today his impact is felt and people probably don't even realize it.
Diamond teeth and white cups. Those were the fringe benefits of being a playa, not the goal. All these years later it’s just for the gram.

Yooo I haven't seen you post in forever
I been trying to come back every once in awhile.....seems like lately I come on here everyday to gauge everyone's ear for what's hot out here. Its a long way from how thing use to be in the Music section. Was here daily lol.

I been trying to come back every once in awhile.....seems like lately I come on here everyday to gauge everyone's ear for what's hot out here. Its a long way from how thing use to be in the Music section. Was here daily lol.
Majority of regular discussion goes down in the Rap About Nothing thread these days

Majority of regular discussion goes down in the Rap About Nothing thread these days
Damn that's wild...I remember a time ago when there were too many threads...now we can fit the discussion in one thread? Makes things easier though.

My homie put me on Dsr back in 2000 and I went on my own journey from there. I'm not even sure how he got his hands on the tape because we live in Milwaukee.

SwishaHouse/Screw/Houston culture in general was literally one of the reasons why I moved to the H

My homie put me on Dsr back in 2000 and I went on my own journey from there. I'm not even sure how he got his hands on the tape because we live in Milwaukee.
I always viewed other slow downs clicks like dsr and lions den etc... knock offs. Swisha house was accepted even by the southside enough to beef with. The others not so much. Beltway 8, DSR, were financially successful because of the marketing and bway8 had the college niche market. Marketing and lack of business ambition is what held screw back.

I always viewed other slow downs clicks like dsr and lions den etc... knock offs. Swisha house was accepted even by the southside enough to beef with. The others not so much. Beltway 8, DSR, were financially successful because of the marketing and bway8 had the college niche market. Marketing and lack of business ambition is what held screw back.

I still have that album that had Nightshift & Beltway :lol: think it was dudes like PSK-13, Tycoon, Lil Flea from Street Military and a bunch of other dudes

Back
Top Bottom