Official Depression thread

This is good advice. Sometimes you just have to say "f--- it" and not be so hard on yourself. This country's construct is notorious for placing a higher value on school, work, money... as opposed to relationships, family, happiness, and so on. Starting from the age we enter school that mentality is sort of implanted in us. We get caught up in flow of increasing our financial worth that it's often difficult to just stop for a second and soak up the important intangibles in life. I think as a whole we need to be better at balancing these things out. Seems like northern European countries have it down.

I'm a chronic worrier (and will probably live a shorter life for this reason alone), so it's hard for me to practice the above. I'm hoping one of these days a sort of have an epiphany and things just click and make sense and I'm able to lead a less stressful existence.

Positive nihilism. Legit nothing matters, not even legacy. So just going out and doing whatever you want (in a healthy and legal way) without caring. Cause in 60 years youll be gone, and nothing will legit matter. Legacy? Can you celebrate legacy when youre gone? No. Even if negative things are happening it doesnt matter. Just try and meditate on nothing mattering at all. I feel like it could make people depressed just thinking nothing matters, but putting a postive spin on it reframes its meaning. Just practice it.

I can't stress the importance of excercising/working out enough. I was feeling down today and decided to go to the park to play ball with strangers. Getting to interact with others and be a part of the trash talking made me feel alot better :lol:

Last edited:
This book might help some of y'all
51VNlzbfpXL.jpg

I try not to get too personal here but if anyone can help me out with some advice.

Ive been depressed, mainly anxious, for about 12 years. I have always had trouble doing daily things, like cleaning my room, laundry, putting the trash out... all that. I have to use so much energy to get small things done. This feeling of being mentally tired all the time makes it very difficult to study. I was a very good student in high school but when college came around I could barely even concentrate. My inability to concentrate and having incessant and racing thoughts made the studies in college way too overwhelming. I didnt finish and didnt get my degree

Now my dad is extremely sick and my mom is getting more sick by working so much. I am so out of it that its so difficult to even work a part time job. I went to a few therapists to get to the root of my problems, and they all said the root cause is very low self esteem and very low confidence. The anxiety and everything else are symptoms of that, and it makes perfect sense to me. But change happens over time. I am working on improving my confidence and self esteem with coaches but I am scared that it will take months while my mom is sick working. My main goal is to be able to get a full time job so my mom can stop working, because the more she works the more sick she is getting (I also need to study for a career job that is extremely difficult for me to focus on because I have a hard time studying). In a perfect world I could freeze time, take the months to become "normal" and be able to get a job before she gets sick. But thats not the case. Im in a state of urgency. Im also scared that if my dad falls more ill Im going to be even more depressed than I already am, furthering my moms suffering by me being depressed and not working/studying. Should I just take antidepressants? Like I said im in a state of urgency and need to get to "normal" as possible so I can be productive to help my family.

Or do I just "man up" and try one last time to get a full time job, keep it, study for the job I want, not get too affected if my dad gets more ill, and just face the rest of these things?

Thanks!!

Last edited:
I try not to get too personal here but if anyone can help me out with some advice.

Ive been depressed, mainly anxious, for about 12 years. I have always had trouble doing daily things, like cleaning my room, laundry, putting the trash out... all that. I have to use so much energy to get small things done. This feeling of being mentally tired all the time makes it very difficult to study. I was a very good student in high school but when college came around I could barely even concentrate. My inability to concentrate and having incessant and racing thoughts made the studies in college way too overwhelming. I didnt finish and didnt get my degree

Now my dad is extremely sick and my mom is getting more sick by working so much. I am so out of it that its so difficult to even work a part time job. I went to a few therapists to get to the root of my problems, and they all said the root cause is very low self esteem and very low confidence. The anxiety and everything else are symptoms of that, and it makes perfect sense to me. But change happens over time. I am working on improving my confidence and self esteem with coaches but I am scared that it will take months while my mom is sick working. My main goal is to be able to get a full time job so my mom can stop working, because the more she works the more sick she is getting (I also need to study for a career job that is extremely difficult for me to focus on because I have a hard time studying). In a perfect world I could freeze time, take the months to become "normal" and be able to get a job before she gets sick. But thats not the case. Im in a state of urgency. Im also scared that if my dad falls more ill Im going to be even more depressed than I am, furthering my moms suffering by me being depressed and not working/studying. Should I just take antidepressants? Like I said im in a state of urgency and need to get to "normal" as possible so I can be productive to help my family. Thanks!!

I advise that you need to talk to someone who's trained (professional) and able to help you more bro. Especially, if you're talking about NOT OR TO take antidepressants.

But, on a personal note, it seems you feel like you're trying to do too much at once. Mostly, stress. Perhaps learning time management will help you level out some of that stress.

I pray for you and your family health. Hopes things work out for you. Depression is a battle, something that I've suffered myself. However, seek the proper help and keep your head up. Stay positive even in the mist of dark days. It'll give a little strength you need.

Last edited:

Now my dad is extremely sick and my mom is getting more sick by working so much. I am so out of it that its so difficult to even work a part time job. I went to a few therapists to get to the root of my problems, and they all said the root cause is very low self esteem and very low confidence. The anxiety and everything else are symptoms of that, and it makes perfect sense to me. But change happens over time. I am working on improving my confidence and self esteem with coaches but I am scared that it will take months while my mom is sick working. My main goal is to be able to get a full time job so my mom can stop working, because the more she works the more sick she is getting (I also need to study for a career job that is extremely difficult for me to focus on because I have a hard time studying). In a perfect world I could freeze time, take the months to become "normal" and be able to get a job before she gets sick. But thats not the case. Im in a state of urgency. Im also scared that if my dad falls more ill Im going to be even more depressed than I already am, furthering my moms suffering by me being depressed and not working/studying. Should I just take antidepressants? Like I said im in a state of urgency and need to get to "normal" as possible so I can be productive to help my family.

Or do I just "man up" and try one last time to get a full time job, keep it, study for the job I want, not get too affected if my dad gets more ill, and just face the rest of these things?

Thanks!!
Sorry to hear about your troubles.

I think you should talk to your parents.

Also don't think of yourself as less of a man cause whatever difficulties you're going through. There's too much stigma around men's mental health.

I wouldn't go on any drugs unless you absolutely need to.

If you want to chat further feel free to DM me

Thanks!!
Ask for some benzos. That's what they're for, to get you through the storm. You can start working, continue therapy, and then wean off the drug. Life won't magically become normal but right now you just need a stepping stone. I assume your doctor knows your story... ask them what they would do and put your faith in that.

Going to have to disagree on benzos. Unless you have anxiety to the point where you're having panic attacks, stay away. Those things will turn you into an emotionless zombie. In my experience at least. Very addictive and difficult to taper too.

really don't know if this is depression that i'm dealing with but maybe you guys can tell me (I also plan on looking for a psychiatrist in case)

i don't feel sad or down, but i do feel ****ing bored. i have had a ton of free time lately, and find myself procrastinating on the one real responsibility i have. but the bigger problem is that in my time procrastinating, which is days at a time, instead of enjoying it i don't really do anything. i mostly just refresh my NT and reddit feed. i will occasionally do something else, but that's what i spend most of my time doing. i found myself often just being lazy and playing the same sports video game over and over, which is a waste of time, so i deleted it. and now i just do nothing.

i think a lot of this stems from being single for almost a year now. i tend to have extremely long gaps between relationships, which means a good chunk of alone time. i feel that i have already experienced doing things alone and developing my own perspectives on things so much, that doing **** alone now bores me. i want to experience things with someone, but don't have a someone to experience them with.

another problem is that in particular, i have no interest in doing new activities. whether it's even playing a new video game, or watching a new tv show. i work out here and there, but i have a body type and aesthetic that doesn't get much better with working out, and already feel good about how i look.

it's been hard to find info on this, because i don't really have other potential symptoms to go along with this.

edit: a big problem i didn't mention is that i'm home ALOT. i'm a student waiting to start medical school in August. I'm thinking picking up hours at my old on call job, and getting back to volunteering could help me with this.

really don't know if this is depression that i'm dealing with but maybe you guys can tell me (I also plan on looking for a psychiatrist in case)

i don't feel sad or down, but i do feel ****ing bored. i have had a ton of free time lately, and find myself procrastinating on the one real responsibility i have. but the bigger problem is that in my time procrastinating, which is days at a time, instead of enjoying it i don't really do anything. i mostly just refresh my NT and reddit feed. i will occasionally do something else, but that's what i spend most of my time doing. i found myself often just being lazy and playing the same sports video game over and over, which is a waste of time, so i deleted it. and now i just do nothing.

i think a lot of this stems from being single for almost a year now. i tend to have extremely long gaps between relationships, which means a good chunk of alone time. i feel that i have already experienced doing things alone and developing my own perspectives on things so much, that doing **** alone now bores me. i want to experience things with someone, but don't have a someone to experience them with.

another problem is that in particular, i have no interest in doing new activities. whether it's even playing a new video game, or watching a new tv show. i work out here and there, but i have a body type and aesthetic that doesn't get much better with working out, and already feel good about how i look.

it's been hard to find info on this, because i don't really have other potential symptoms to go along with this.

edit: a big problem i didn't mention is that i'm home ALOT. i'm a student waiting to start medical school in August. I'm thinking picking up hours at my old on call job, and getting back to volunteering could help me with this.
Sounds like you have low dopamine levels. A sign of crippling boredom and lack of motivation.

Find ways to increase dopamine naturally through diet with tyrosine rich foods. This amino acid helps the body produce dopamine. You can also get it in a supplement-- L-tyrosine. Some other good supplements to give you a dopamine boost are L-theanine and rhodiola.

Ketamine could be the new drug for depression that researchers have been looking for

It's been called "the most important discovery in half a century," and for some of the people who have tried ketamine, it may feel that way too.

The compound has a reputation as a party drug, but ketamine is increasingly being studied for its potential use as a rapid-fire treatment for depression. In people who live with the disease, thoughts of suicide can strike suddenly and without warning. Fast-acting, successful interventions are hard to come by.

But a spate of recent research suggests that ketamine could provide quick and powerful relief - even to people whose depression has repeatedly failed to respond to other medications and to those who are suicidal.

Experts say they're onto something promising. In a field that hasn't seen a new class of drugs in nearly four decades and in which patients are often desperate and suicidal, that kind of sentiment holds a lot of weight.

Long article continues: http://www.businessinsider.com/depression-medication-treatment-ketamine-2018-2/?r=US&IR=T

depressed or heated since my teens :blush::angry:

god i need to move!

Career's progression, masters is going well, I'm in the country I've always dreamed of living in, but there are so many nights I just want to end it all. I've given up everything to have this and I feel ****ing hollow |l

In a similar predicament. Might be putting too much emphasis on how much money I make/being career driven, in return neglecting the other stuff that makes life beautiful (women, nature, good people/energy, etc.). At the same time, I've grown rather impatient and frustrated with not seeing immediate results.

Have to persevere, but it's a lot of up and down days for me for sure.

Career's progression, masters is going well, I'm in the country I've always dreamed of living in, but there are so many nights I just want to end it all. I've given up everything to have this and I feel ****ing hollow |l

What makes you feel hollow? What were you expecting to be different?

What makes you feel hollow? What were you expecting to be different?
All my family and friends are on the opposite side of the world. I'm naturally a reserved guy, so since college I haven't vibed with anyone that I consider a close friend. I came here for work and pretty much spend my time working, going to school at night then that's it. There's so many places to explore in the States, and I've done my fair share of solo travel around the world and just can't take no more solo travel. Left my gf of 2.5 years to come to the States. I still love it here and extremely grateful for what I have, but sometimes it's tough. Don't even have a close friend here who I'd put down as an emergency contact, gotta put my boss :lol:

In a similar predicament. Might be putting too much emphasis on how much money I make/being career driven, in return neglecting the other stuff that makes life beautiful (women, nature, good people/energy, etc.). At the same time, I've grown rather impatient and frustrated with not seeing immediate results.

Have to persevere, but it's a lot of up and down days for me for sure.

This is me right now too.

All my family and friends are on the opposite side of the world. I'm naturally a reserved guy, so since college I haven't vibed with anyone that I consider a close friend. I came here for work and pretty much spend my time working, going to school at night then that's it. There's so many places to explore in the States, and I've done my fair share of solo travel around the world and just can't take no more solo travel. Left my gf of 2.5 years to come to the States. I still love it here and extremely grateful for what I have, but sometimes it's tough. Don't even have a close friend here who I'd put down as an emergency contact, gotta put my boss :lol:

Do you have free time on the weekends? Have you tried joining a rec team or just hooping at your school’s gym? As for a female connection, have you tried Tinder or Match.com?

Do you have free time on the weekends? Have you tried joining a rec team or just hooping at your school’s gym? As for a female connection, have you tried Tinder or Match.com?
Yeah man. Been in two basketball teams and enjoying it but I don’t know, just hard to be close to them on a level More than just ball buddies And been on tinder and bumble. Smashed more than I ever have since moving here but don’t like any of them More than just a smash. I also realize a lot of this is my own problem, not letting people into my world and preferring to pursue my own goals and ruin personal relationships.

Yeah man. Been in two basketball teams and enjoying it but I don’t know, just hard to be close to them on a level More than just ball buddies And been on tinder and bumble. Smashed more than I ever have since moving here but don’t like any of them More than just a smash. I also realize a lot of this is my own problem, not letting people into my world and preferring to pursue my own goals and ruin personal relationships.

Yeah, Tinder and Bumble are basically for smashes, try Match or Eharmony if you want a relationship with more substance. What about your classmates, not trying to kick it with them?

Back
Top Bottom