OFFICIAL FIBA World Cup Spain 2014 Thread

man, if him being in the squad wasn't coming at the price of Cousins' missing out, I'd probably want a Plumlee shirt for the lulz :lol:

(I have a Raef Lafrentz 2002 USA jersey :rofl:)

Man you have the most random assortment(s) of basketball things I swear :lol: :lol:

I don't see how folks confused an obvious clean break of the tibia/fibula with a dislocation

And then say he had a Livingston injury? :rofl:

Last edited:
LAS VEGAS — Paul George Sr. repeats the words, each time growing in confidence and belief.

His son will be OK.

On Saturday, George Sr. told The Star that his son, Indiana Pacers forward Paul George, was experiencing some pain in his right leg. However, while standing outside the Sunrise Hospital, George, Sr., who often displayed a smiling expression fitting for the name of the medical center, repeated the positive prognosis his son has received after undergoing successful surgery to repair an open tibia-fibula fracture. According to George Sr., doctors believe that the two-time All-Star will make a full recovery and eventually return to his career with the same athletic capabilities as before.

"Paul's doing well now. He's doing good. He's just resting right now," George Sr. said. "If it had to break, it broke the right way. It broke evenly, so they're saying he should be back 100 percent. But of course, he's got to go through his long process of healing and getting back in the gym but they're saying that shouldn't stop him from doing what he was doing once he's healthy again."

George, 24, suffered the shocking injury in the fourth quarter of the USA Men's Basketball instrasquad showcase held in Las Vegas. While George, Sr. said "it's possible" that his son will miss the 2014-15 season, the timetable will be judged after he returns to Indianapolis on Monday and visits local doctors.

"We're saying the whole year," George Sr. said. "With an injury like that, you need some time off.

"Doctors said give him at least three months before he can start putting weight on it," George Sr. continued. "Then he said from there it's up to him how far he can go with it. We'll have to play it by ear. He's hurting. He still can't believe that this has happened."

Even so, just like his son, George Sr. has been moved by the deluge of supportive tweets, text messages and calls. George Sr. said his cell phone battery drained from all the missed calls and his son's visitor log stayed filled with well wishers from James Harden's mother to New Orleans Pelicans All-Star Anthony Davis. Even, while recovering on Saturday, the outpouring of support continued for George. Besides being surrounded by his entire family — which includes his mother, Paulette, and two older sisters — USA Men's Basketball Coach Mike Krzyzewski made a return visit, as did Pacers general manager Kevin Pritchard who walked out of the hospital with a group that included George's agent as well as a Nike representative.

"He was overwhelmed with everybody reaching out to him. I think that takes away some of the pain when you know that people care for you," George Sr. said. "Larry Bird's been calling … Larry's been calling left and right (asking), 'How is he? Do I need to come out there?' "

George Sr. said the Pacers have arranged the team plane to return him to Indianapolis. However, even before the flight, there was a sense of optimism that Paul George can still continue his ascension in the NBA.

"What he went through last night, today I can breathe a little better. We feel a lot better. Talked to the doctor again today and looked at Paul's leg and said hey, it's already healing," George, Sr. said. "The worst of it was yesterday. That's something you don't want to see happen to anybody.

"I had to go and break down a few times but you know, he's going to be alright, he's going to be alright, he's going to be alright. He just has to go through his healing now."

Feel free to hand me a mega late pass, but is KD the only MVP-type in '16? Was there like an official tweet/announcement/anything from Bron's camp or Melo's camp or CP3's camp? Russy?

Or are they in, but not running FIBA?

Not required for the big names to play in this to maintain their Olympic spots.

Thinking of copping either a Rose or Davis jersey... I need the navy joint and the shorts... they go on sale next Saturday.

What's retail for the shorts? I wear my 2010s weekly.
pimp.gif
I remember when I bought those in damn kid sizes when they went on clearance, and everyone swore a kids XL would fit me....

buncha liars they were 
laugh.gif

ended up having to give them away

Yo..probably asked and answered but lazy.

but has the shirts gone on sale yet? like the warmups?

Last edited:
@SportsCenter
Adam Silver says Paul George's injury will re-open debate about stars playing in international tourneys -via SportsCenter http://bit.ly/zzSpRY

As we anticipated to occur ...

There should be no debate. Stars have been playing in the olympics for 20 years now. George I think is the first high profile, significant injury.

Playing internationally requires what, a month of camp and a week or more of games played, where you don't even play that many minutes or do any heavy lifting anyway.

If an NBA star doesn't want to play for his country then fine, that's his choice. But I hope the nba don't take everyone's choice away from them.

Last edited:
There should be no debate. Stars have been playing in the olympics for 20 years now. George I think is the first high profile, significant injury.

Playing internationally requires what, a month of camp and a week or more of games played, where you don't even play that many minutes or do any heavy lifting anyway.

If an NBA star doesn't want to play for his country then fine, that's his choice. But I hope the nba don't take everyone's choice away from them.

Too much of a risk. One injury or not u got franchise that basically has one, maybe even two seasons washed over a game that didn't even count. Not only that, but the league lost a rising star. Suppose that had been KD :smh:

I said it in the NBA thread, but USA Basketball is totally screwed if the NBA stops being involved. Before the Dream Team, Team USA was comprised of top level college talent who all had three or fours years of college experience and, in most cases, had already been drafted by NBA teams. Now, the top players in college are first and second year guys, and all will be tied to NBA teams, so they won't be playing. That leaves a bunch of D-League level talent (or guys playing overseas who couldn't hack it here) representing America.

Even worse, imagine a team like Spain without NBA players. And then imagine all the other teams. It'd create more parity, but nobody would watch.

The NBA players should continue to be allowed to play given they choose to.

No need to be over reactionary because of one freak injury.

Came in here to post that. The John Wall cut is the most "surprising" of the three but I knew the other two were goners

Rose/Kyrie

Harden/Curry/Lillard

Durant/Thompson/Parsons

Davis/Faried

Cousins/Plumlee

I think with George out, this makes Coach K go with a more traditional lineup........

Back
Top Bottom