OFFICIAL FIBA World Cup Spain 2014 Thread

They gotta recruit Jordan Clarkson from the Lakers in the future. He's half filipino and will probably be the most athletic guy on the roster :D

Last edited:
One Filipino American over here and proud of it, sir!
Same. It seems like there's a lot of Filipinos on NT

I know nothing about the Philippines local talent but I'd have to assume this whole experience to Spain is going to have an impact on the youth out there

I watched the Philippines U19 team and they look pretty decent at least

Last edited:
Pretty sure clarkson can't play he did not get a Phil passport early enough they need to naturalize him if he's gonna play

Damn. :frown:

They only allow one naturalized player a roster. That sucks cuz unlike Blatche, he actually has filipino heritage :smh:

Last edited:
Same. It seems like there's a lot of Filipinos on NT

I know nothing about the Philippines local talent but I'd have to assume this whole experience to Spain is going to have an impact on the youth out there

I watched the Philippines U19 team and they look pretty decent at least

+1 more. the local talent is ok, but in world tournaments the size disadvantage is real. in the FIBA Asia touney last year Haddadi just beasted on us in the final. the star players around here are small slashers or less-small 3pt shooters mostly

Damn. :frown:

They only allow one naturalized player a roster. That sucks cuz unlike Blatche, he actually has filipino heritage :smh:

Clarkson wouldnt count as a naturalized player because he has Filipino blood. Jimmy Alapag was born and raised in LA, went to CSUSB.

^ That's excellent news.

The addition of Clarkson would give them what a lot of countries outside of the US lack. An athletic wing.

It remains to be seen how good he will become because he's so young.

There's like, no shot to qualify for the olympics right? You'd need to medal in the cups?

nah if I remember right, the FIBA Asia tournament is the qualifier for the big events. PI got silver last year to qualify for the World Cup, but I think for the Olympics there's only 1 spot for the Asia region so we'd have to win Gold in 2015, or make it as a wild card.

http://www.philstar.com/sports/2012/09/13/848413/fiba-gets-tough-eligibility?nomobile=1

I think it has been confirmed by the coach clarkson never got a passport

i was trying to look up that rule more because players like alapag, norwood etc. all got their PI passports after college in the US to play for the PI team.

according to the FIBA rules http://www.fiba.com/downloads/v3_expe/agen/docs/3-ELIGIBILITY-NATIONAL-STATUS-of- PLAYERS.pdf that under 16 thing only applies to naturalized players who dont have lineage in the country. Blatche almost had a problem cause theres a residency clause http://www.mb.com.ph/asian-games-rules-allow-blatche-to-play/ but apparently its not always enforced. As long as Clarkson never played for the US or any other country, he'd be eligible through his mom's PI birth/citizenship

principle of jus sanguine, its how I got dual citizenship too :lol:

edit: nvm just read the link above. must be a new rule because from what I understand norwood, tenorio, and alapag became citizens after college?

edit 2: the rule isnt retroactive. still, SMH.

Last edited:
Too bad Thibs is commited to USA because he'd do wonders for Gilas' defense :smh:

But I'm very proud of the great effort and game though!

I've read that Javale...yes, that Javale...was on track to be naturalized but derailed because of injuries.

Last edited:
They didn't allow Sol Mercado ,Pringle to play for Gilas I'm pretty damn sure they aren't gonna allow clarkson they just enforced that rule a few years ago but there is still hope for a good fil am wing in Mathew Wright he is eligible and sbp has been putting in work and locating these fil ams early enough and giving them the necessary papers. Holt and Clarkson would've been enough to put us over the hump but **** happens.

Last edited:
Too bad Thibs is commited to USA because he'd do wonders for Gilas' defense :smh:

But I'm very proud of the great effort and game though!

I've read that Javale...yes, that Javale...was on track to be naturalized but derailed because of injuries.

dude said he loved it here and he was one of the top choices of the PI team for naturalization

View media item 1160946
he had a great time in manila when they played here during the lockout :lol:

How many Filipinos are there in here

One Filipino American over here and proud of it, sir!

I'm half Filipino half Arab. Proud of both sides. 8)

Filipino-Canadian here. :smokin

Hopefully the younger Filipino players would develop more (i.e Paras, Ravena etc.) and be better than this team. At one point in the game where Blatche wasn't in and they were still giving Arg a hard time, I was hyped. :lol: I hope they won't need any import in the future. :smokin

Last edited:
^we need junmar and japeth to become primetime players too, since theyre the only guys with height but still very raw. so many badly missed shots tonight from them

Back
Top Bottom