::[OFFICIAL] FIFA World Cup Brazil 2014 Thread:::

I thought the US started to warm up to soccer during this world cup but literally 30 mins after we lost people were over it, Im pretty sure they wont be watching in mass numbers until americans consider the US to be a world power in the sport.  
Exactly, on the "pay attention once every four years" to "regularly watch" spectrum, soccer in the US is a lot closer to swimming than basketball at the moment.

Every American Premier League fan is a fan of Man U./Arsenal, or if they started in the last few years, Chelsea and Man City.

It's the equivalent of every London NBA fan talking about how die hard they are for the Heat and Lakers.

You can support who you like, but there's something not quite the same about just picking the best team which you have no connection to. Rooting for a non-top team that you do have a connection to (like the USMNT) is so much more fun.

You can say "I like Barca because xyz player there" or "I like Real because I studied abroad in Madrid" ( common) but you're still the Japanese Yankee fan. Most people here like them 85% because they're one of the best teams in the world, and they like using 5-star teams in FIFA.

But thats the same eveywhere.

LA has more laker than clipper fans
NYC had more yankee and giants fans than mets and jets.
Madrid has more real madrid fans than atletico fans.

People like winners.

Im loyal so I give the :stoneface: to all the bandwagon fans but they are everywhere. Baseball, Football, Soccer, and Basketball.

They have the space to do that, that's why.

In the ghettos of South America, a ball and 4 markers is all you need to play soccer.

Up here?

Baseball fields and basketball courts all day, and most dudes rather pay football as well.

I live in north NJ and it's a heavy Hispanic area.

Interns of playing up here?

Basketball all day cause of courts all over the place.

No "pick up baseball"

Rarely "pick up football"

And never "pick up soccer" :lol:

It may be where you live.
In the bay area pickup soccer and basketball is the most popular pick up at parks. I like softball and flag football but they are harder to find randomly

NYC is the same. I lived there in 02-04 and it was easy to find soccer and bball games.

I also lived in new mexico a few years back and there was football and basketball games...little to no soccer.

Last edited:
Yea, soccer is extremely popular (relative to the rest of the country) in the Bay Area especially around San Jose.

Last edited:
very well said.
And I still dislike the USA call it soccer only because they have American Football which is not played much with the foot at all.
Football is a world phenomena just not in North America. the United States and Canada
I personally like basketball more but as you can see, world championship of basketball (FIBA, which will be this late summer)
never reaches the hype like world cup football (FIFA).

Football is pretty popular in Mexico bro.

The love hasn't fully transitioned to the US aside from the states with the biggest mexican immigrants/other immigrants who actually fallow soccer.

As far as the MLS joining Copa Libertadores, they haven't actually proven themselves worthy of joining yet.

They can't even win a tournament against Mexican opposition, how would they faire against south american one?

I think Copa Libertadores are holding back for MLS to catch up to Mexico to start inviting them as well.

I know they want some of that tv revenue the MLS could generate, but sport isn't as popular and them getting knocked out early in the tournament would mean no tv revenue from the US.

This is just my assumption.

Last edited:
Btw you can root for whoever you like. I'm not talking down your fanship, some people are just fans of a league and not even a player.

My original post was to the guy who said World Cup fans were bandwagoners vs. American fans of club soccer in Europe.... Who are by definition bandwagoners.
I didnt mean to sound like d*ck when said World Cup fans are bandwagoners, and i too agree anyone can like any player or team but,

i was just upset the fact i go on twitter time to time, and see these kids talking so much sh*t about a player or team, and i know for a fact they dont

even watch futbol, they'll root for a team and next thing you know hop on another team. Im talking about those who have no knowledge on futbol.

When i was watching the Costa Rica vs Greece game while PK was going on, someone tweets "Man these goal keepers are garbage"

How are they garbage? You know how hard it is to block a PK shot? This person is clearly just talking sh*t because he doesnt know.

idk i just hope futbol does stay in the US. Im just tired of all the trash talk on teams and players if the person has no idea what they are talking about

When i was watching the Costa Rica vs Greece game while PK was going on, someone tweets "Man these goal keepers are garbage"

How are they garbage? You know how hard it is to block a PK shot? This person is clearly just talking sh*t because he doesnt know.

idk i just hope futbol does stay in the US. Im just tired of all the trash talk on teams and players if the person has no idea what they are talking about
Dont waste your time arguing with those idiots. There will always be dumbasses. We get the same ******s for american football(some even post on here) making stupid comments even with football being the most popular sport in this country. Everything looks easy to those people from a couch or behind a keyboard.

It's funny you mention the PK because I am a new viewer and as I was watching the Brazil/Chile game I was mentioning to my dad about how insane it is for the goalkeeper to have to defend those shots from such a close distance and the velocity of the kicks coming in. 
sick.gif

Last edited:

Dont waste your time arguing with those idiots. There will always be dumbasses. We get the same ******s for american football(some even post on here) making stupid comments even with football being the most popular sport in this country.
yea i feel you on that, i was just heated at the moment lol

But yes, i do hope futbol does grow in the US, I live in Orlando and we just got Kaka in our team so everyone in my city is excited about that.

Theyre also building the Orlando City stadium as well so that should get some new fans in our city as well as Miami when they build theres!

Dont waste your time arguing with those idiots. There will always be dumbasses. We get the same ******s for american football(some even post on here) making stupid comments even with football being the most popular sport in this country. Everything looks easy to those people from a couch or behind a keyboard.

It's funny you mention the PK because I am a new viewer and as I was watching the Brazil/Chile game I was mentioning to my dad about how insane it is for the goalkeeper to have to defend those shots from such a close distance and the velocity of the kicks coming in. 
sick.gif
During the Brazil/Chile broadcast, the ESPN commentators were commenting on how a penalty kick is pretty much impossible to save even when the penalty kick taker tells the goalkeeper where he's going and hits the ball exactly right...

Soccer has a stigma attached to it in the USA being spread by ignorant people. I grew up eating, sleeping and breathing american football and growing up everyone always referred to soccer as the "wuss" sport. my high school coach used to repeatedly yell out during practice "if you dont want to man up here on the football field and its too tough for you, you can go play with the pu$$ies over on the soccer field". 

hopefully the next generation isnt as brain washed as we were because soccer is pretty damn awesome. this world cup has changed A LOT of peoples views and opinions of the sport including my own. sad it took me 28 years to finally appreciate it. 
mean.gif

Last edited:
if they want soccer or club soccer to grow not only in talent but also in popularity they should try to make the winner and the runner up of the MLS enter the
Copa Libertadoras just like the mexican teams have entered because that was solely a south american tournament. having the MLS in that cup would help them grow and make soccer alot more popular in the usa because its an international tournament ,it would get alot of attention.

This right here. MLS IN COPA LIBERTADORES??? :wow:
man stop, MLS teams would get washed against South American clubs. Imagine Sounders FC or Sporting KC going up against the SA elite teams like Boca Juniors, Universidad, Atletico Mineiro, Nacional, etc...

What strikes me most is that, in the US, soccer is really only introduced to kids in the middle- to upper-class. You don't hear a lot of rags-to-riches stories for American soccer players, whereas these stories are a dime-a-dozen for players in the NBA & NFL. This socioeconomic divide really doesn't make sense especially when you hear about the kids who made it out of the favelas in Brazil and rural villages of Africa playing with a ball of rope and two sticks set up as goal posts on dirt roads.
That's because it's a "middle-upper" class sport according to the ignorant fools in my hood. In order to find the best football education, you have to go out to the suburbs. I was lucky enough to have a Mexican neighbor who taught me how to play the sport at 11 years old. We used to play on the streets with all the kids from our block, the rocks we would find on the floor would be our makeshift goals.

Last edited:

What strikes me most is that, in the US, soccer is really only introduced to kids in the middle- to upper-class. You don't hear a lot of rags-to-riches stories for American soccer players, whereas these stories are a dime-a-dozen for players in the NBA & NFL. This socioeconomic divide really doesn't make sense especially when you hear about the kids who made it out of the favelas in Brazil and rural villages of Africa playing with a ball of rope and two sticks set up as goal posts on dirt roads.
That's because it's a "middle-upper" class sport according to the ignorant fools in my hood. In order to find the best football education, you have to go out to the suburbs. I was lucky enough to have a Mexican neighbor who taught me how to play the sport at 11 years old. We used to play on the streets with all the kids from our block, the rocks we would find on the floor would be our makeshift goals.
Alternatively if you live in places like NYC, Miami, Toronto, LA with lots of latin or caribbean immigrants you will have more access to a football playing population

Out here, I regularly see kids playing pick up soccer. There's even an adult league around my way with 19-20 teams. :lol:

In the Hispanic areas, a lot of elementary schools have a soccer field, some with just a few patches of grass and dirt.

I'm in Texas.

But...,American football will forever be the dominant sport out here

Last edited:
Can't wait until Friday's matches. Neymar's right knee is going to be a major issue. Colombia is still an underdog but they've looked so much better. 

Me and a group of friends play soccer every Sunday night. They are all Hispanic tho from Honduras Guatemala and Argentina. We just take 4 trash cans and make goals out of them

The diving is ridiculous.
right?! and i used to be a cig. smoker so i run around for abour 15 - 20min. and im done..

i need a water break every 10 min. lmao
laugh.gif

Me and a group of friends play soccer every Sunday night. They are all Hispanic tho from Honduras Guatemala and Argentina. We just take 4 trash cans and make goals out of them
thats the thing about this sport too, its cheap!

All you need is a ball and make your own goal and play! or you can kick rocks around lol,

but you get the idea, i love it man

I used to be that ignorant person. I enjoyed the World Cup in 2002 and 2006. But i really started to understand the game and why the world loves it while I was visiting my sister in Munich during the 08 euro cup. After that Philadelphia got a team and ever since then I've been an mls fan. But after this World Cup I really want to get into following the bundesliga or epl. Anyways, it's an incredible sports played by incredible athletes and I hope the us is a powerhouse at some point in my life.
Thats great! I went to my first soccer game last month actually, Japan vs Costa Rica friendly, the whole stadium wasnt packed so i didnt get the full

soccer experience but it was a great first experience, and now we have a MLS team (Orlando City) too now so ill be going to see those soon
smile.gif

if you have Goltv, Beinsports, etc. you should be able to keep up with Bundesliga, Ligue 1, Serie A, etc.

unfortunately i only have Fox sports1, NBCSN, ESPN and other basics i can only watch EPL, Champions League, and Europa League mostly.

Thats great! I went to my first soccer game last month actually, Japan vs Costa Rica friendly, the whole stadium wasnt packed so i didnt get the full
soccer experience but it was a great first experience, and now we have a MLS team (Orlando City) too now so ill be going to see those soon :smile:

if you have Goltv, Beinsports, etc. you should be able to keep up with Bundesliga, Ligue 1, Serie A, etc.
unfortunately i only have Fox sports1, NBCSN, ESPN and other basics i can only watch EPL, Champions League, and Europa League mostly.
I have been going to half dozen games or so a season since 2010. I love it. Affordable and we have an awesome stadium built for soccer. It's a small 18000 person stadium, but every game is packed.

I have been going to half dozen games or so a season since 2010. I love it. Affordable and we have an awesome stadium built for soccer. It's a small 18000 person stadium, but every game is packed.
thats awesome! i love packed games! cant wait for our stadium to open up.

Idk which image is real but i heard this one is what our stadium will look like, i love the design alot

Back
Top Bottom