::[OFFICIAL] FIFA World Cup Brazil 2014 Thread:::

Dumb argument.
Some root for a player on a team.
I like Barca cuz Maradona, Messi and Mascherano played there. Some mexicans and africans also will follow a team because a certain player played there (ex. Marquez at Barca, Sanchez at madrid, Eto at barca, drigba at chelsea etc etc)

Also, im an american "sports fan" so do you think its more appropriate to root for the LA Lakers when Kobe is from philadelphia, Gasol is from Spain, Shaq is from Louisianna and Meta World is from NYC?

People can root for whoever they want...Whether its a team from their city or because they like a player(s) (see Ronaldo and Henry fans) or they just like the team from their child hood (see Jordan Bulls Fans)

I dont see any issue with someone liking Arsenal or Wolfsburg or Atletico Madrid even if someone is not from there.
yeah his reasoning is silly. I should be able to root for whoever i want for whatever reason i want. why shouldn't i be able to enjoy watching the greatest soccer players in the world play against each other, even if they play for teams in countries that i've never been to.. better than watching that snooze fest known as the american past time.

some americans are still on that the world revolves around us type steez.

Howard had a hot game but hes not the best keeper in the world not even close.

Soccer will never be popular here. Nothing will change it. So many different reasons. Too many sports, no money, no good players, not enough ads, disrespect from everywhere else, "retirement tour" for old players. So much has to happen and I cant foresee it.
I disagree. I'd say it's pretty popular already. Just not with the right people. Yet.

Looks like the FIFA video game is finally doing what the combined efforts of Pele, Beckham, Henry, hosting the 1994 World Cup and doing pretty good in the 2002 World Cup couldn't do.

I think that right now, a couple of 8-10 kids somewhere in the US are kicking a ball around and will be elite players and dominate European leagues when they grow up. Maybe not on the highest Messi-Ronaldo level, but perhaps on the Suarez-Bale level.

There are definitely those that hate the sport with a passion in the US that might mislead the people into thinking that "soccer" will never be popular. Every article where comments are available and every Youtube video some troll pops up and trashes the sport, most likely a Tea Party member or some redneck. And I am positive that they don't hate the sport because of the sport itself, but because they feel that if the US truly adopted the game it would be some kind of manifestation of the US admitting that the rest of the world is better than the US because it plays a greater sport. If no such thing as "soccer" existed and it was invented tomorrow they wouldn't hate it at all. And if it was invented by a flag waving American, they would love it.

Last edited:
I disagree. I'd say it's pretty popular already. Just not with the right people. Yet.

Looks like the FIFA video game is finally doing what the combined efforts of Pele, Beckham, Henry, hosting the 1994 World Cup and doing pretty good in the 2002 World Cup couldn't do.

I think that right now, a couple of 8-10 kids somewhere in the US are kicking a ball around and will be elite players and dominate European leagues when they grow up. Maybe not on the highest Messi-Ronaldo level, but perhaps on the Suarez-Bale level.

There are definitely those that hate the sport with a passion in the US that might mislead the people into thinking that "soccer" will never be popular. Every article where comments are available and every Youtube video some troll pops up and trashes the sport, most likely a Tea Party member or some redneck. And I am positive that they don't hate the sport because of the sport itself, but because they feel that if the US truly adopted the game it would be some kind of manifestation of the US admitting that the rest of the world is better than the US because it plays a greater sport. If no such thing as "soccer" existed and it was invented tomorrow they wouldn't hate it at all. And if it was invented by a flag waving American, they would love it.

very well said.
And I still dislike the USA call it soccer only because they have American Football which is not played much with the foot at all.
Football is a world phenomena just not in North America.
I personally like basketball more but as you can see, world championship of basketball (FIBA, which will be this late summer)
never reaches the hype like world cup football (FIFA).

UJ75m1c.jpg

If not for Howard that would've been really ugly. Belgium shredded the US (seemingly at will) and created endless chances only to be thwarted by Howard.

Last edited:
Dumb argument.
I like Barca cuz Maradona, Messi and Mascherano played there. Some mexicans and africans also will follow a team because a certain player played there (ex. Marquez at Barca, Sanchez at madrid, Eto at barca, drigba at chelsea etc etc)

Also, im an american "sports fan" so do you think its more appropriate to root for the LA Lakers when Kobe is from philadelphia, Gasol is from Spain, Shaq is from Louisianna and Meta World is from NYC?

People can root for whoever they want...Whether its a team from their city or because they like a player(s) (see Ronaldo and Henry fans) or they just like the team from their child hood (see Jordan Bulls Fans)

I dont see any issue with someone liking Arsenal or Wolfsburg or Atletico Madrid even if someone is not from there.

Every American Premier League fan is a fan of Man U./Arsenal, or if they started in the last few years, Chelsea and Man City.

It's the equivalent of every London NBA fan talking about how die hard they are for the Heat and Lakers.

You can support who you like, but there's something not quite the same about just picking the best team which you have no connection to. Rooting for a non-top team that you do have a connection to (like the USMNT) is so much more fun.

You can say "I like Barca because xyz player there" or "I like Real because I studied abroad in Madrid" ( common) but you're still the Japanese Yankee fan. Most people here like them 85% because they're one of the best teams in the world, and they like using 5-star teams in FIFA.

Last edited:
Btw you can root for whoever you like. I'm not talking down your fanship, some people are just fans of a league and not even a player.

My original post was to the guy who said World Cup fans were bandwagoners vs. American fans of club soccer in Europe.... Who are by definition bandwagoners.

It's probably been discussed but this thread moves quick so I'm just gonna ask again,

Why was there only 1 minute given for stoppage time? No sooner did they resume play did the whistle blow :smh: .

It was a good effort.  I thought belgium were trying to give the game away at the end with Lukaku and Hazard an De Bruyne all trying to still play offense instead of getting behind the ball.

I said it in the soccer thread.  You need a goalie for one game...just to play one big match for you...howard has to be a top 3 pick IMO. Neur, Courtois, Howard.  

I think if you had Bradley and Jones as holding midfielders and Jozy up top and maybe let clint be the creative midfielder or reserved striker behind him to create, that would be optimal.  Not having fabian hurt yesterday.  Not that Yedlin didn't play well but Fabian is more polished and ready for those moments I think.  We are missing just that small amount of skill and depth (not even gonna bring up how helpful Landon could have been when fabian went out and we needed an attacker, the stage looked too big for Wondo, Landon would have been a perfect super sub near the end)

And as far as the bandwagoning.  I am just glad people watched the sport and got an appreciated for it.  And people bandwagon the good teams when there is no location loyalty because they like to see the sport being played well.  No one wants to watch bad teams play.  Of course you would bandwagon the Heat or Lakers or Man City, Arsenal etc.  They play their sports really well and they are fun to watch.  I don't want to watch the Bucks or Cardiff.

It's probably been discussed but this thread moves quick so I'm just gonna ask again,

Why was there only 1 minute given for stoppage time? No sooner did they resume play did the whistle blow :smh: .
There was only one minute because it is a 15 minute half. Why would they put more if not much time was wasted. 2 minutes tops is the usual in extra time. I think it was fair. The US didn't deserve a win anyway IMO they played like **** Belgium was the superior team so they won. Would have been a major injustice if the US won :lol:

What will it take for the MLS to improve their product? And realistically, is it attainable?

What will it take for the MLS to improve their product? And realistically, is it attainable?
The problem is so deep rooted its gonna be tough.  You need better home grown talent basically.  We won't have that until we change the system over here.  Club-high school-college-pros is not conducive for a great league.  Over seas the farm systems they have are way better.  These kids come up and sign contracts with big clubs at a very young age and get great couching at the youth level.  In america, high school and college soccer breaks up everything.  They need a better tiered soccer system as well that allows for relegation and promotion.  But all of that comes with money.  Its got to be a grass roots type revival.  Idk how or when it can happen

MLS is pretty competitive..but not in comparison to the other leagues..

It seems like MLS is the last stop for players who have played in European leagues prior to retirement

Same with international players who have been let go from clubs over there..so they see if they can play in the States

The USA national team took a step forward hiring klinsmann, who implemented a whole new style of play

There were many MLS players representing other countries in this years WC (Brazil/Austrailia/Mexico)

if they want soccer or club soccer to grow not only in talent but also in popularity they should try to make the winner and the runner up of the MLS enter the
Copa Libertadoras just like the mexican teams have entered because that was solely a south american tournament. having the MLS in that cup would help them grow and make soccer alot more popular in the usa because its an international tournament ,it would get alot of attention.

How would it been an injustice?

It's not like the US have some funny calls that cause them to win like we've seen this tourny :rolleyes

Our GK had one of those games....something that everyone saw and everyone will remember and will go down in World Cup lore.

Belgium was the better team no doubt, they kept the US on it's heals all game, but we had our chance as the underdog to steal that game.

Hell we had it at the 89th minute.
Injustice as in they didn't deserve it. Sure they had a chance to steal the game. But the way they played I'm actually glad they didn't go on to play Argentina. They have no real offense. And even with the whole team defending they don't do a very good job of it.

Dumb argument.

I agree with this. I grew up with my favorite player being Henry so naturally I became an Arsenal fan and now I still am even after he's gone. Also kind of a NY Red Bulls fan now that I can see Henry play multiple times a year since Red Bull Arena is only a couple of minutes away.

if they want soccer or club soccer to grow not only in talent but also in popularity they should try to make the winner and the runner up of the MLS enter the
Copa Libertadoras just like the mexican teams have entered because that was solely a south american tournament. having the MLS in that cup would help them grow and make soccer alot more popular in the usa because its an international tournament ,it would get alot of attention.

This right here. MLS IN COPA LIBERTADORES??? :wow:

What we need to do is somehow implement good soccer programs in our inner city youth. We'll have Lebrons playing in the Euro leagues in no time.

:lol:

Kidding... Kind of :nerd:

What strikes me most is that, in the US, soccer is really only introduced to kids in the middle- to upper-class. You don't hear a lot of rags-to-riches stories for American soccer players, whereas these stories are a dime-a-dozen for players in the NBA & NFL. This socioeconomic divide really doesn't make sense especially when you hear about the kids who made it out of the favelas in Brazil and rural villages of Africa playing with a ball of rope and two sticks set up as goal posts on dirt roads.

I'm not going to lie I'm still looking for a sturridge in black and a Howard black. Anybody know a place for a reasonable price

Now going on to the real topic at hand I find it true that in the US the kids that play soccer and are good are coming from middle and upper class families and they stop playing by college time. I played American football, baseball, and ran track in HighSchool. But I always wanted to play soccer but it really wasn't popular nor did anyone ever introduce it to me. I notice also that soccer is on an uprise in America but people are really stuck on baseball and football and lastly basketball as all they want to watch which is understandable but it seems as tho Americans won't watch what we aren't the best at lol just a thought

Last edited:
I feel like the concussions associated with football might lead parents to push their children into lower impact sports like soccer. I realize players get conccused in soccer, but it's all about perception.

Last edited:

$$$$ + viewership
I thought the US started to warm up to soccer during this world cup but literally 30 mins after we lost people were over it, Im pretty sure they wont be watching in mass numbers until americans consider the US to be a world power in the sport.  

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom