OFFICIAL FOOTY THREAD ⚽️: Euro Cup and Copa America underway

Who wins the Euros?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
noskey noskey what owners in any American sports league would agree to promotion/relegation?
I'm not saying the owners ever would. If I were an MLS franchise owner I would fight tooth and nail to keep the status quo. But no pro/rel hurts the competition and makes a mockery of the sport when a team like Dallas can exist with no consequences. I could theorize ways to fix the issue but that's an exercise in futility. And it's not as easy as "do it like the rest of the world does it." First we need owners who actually care about the sport.

Again, the MLS has many faults. It also provides many benefits.

I'm not saying the owners ever would. If I were an MLS franchise owner I would fight tooth and nail to keep the status quo. But no pro/rel hurts the competition and makes a mockery of the sport when a team like Dallas can exist with no consequences. I could theorize ways to fix the issue but that's an exercise in futility. And it's not as easy as "do it like the rest of the world does it." First we need owners who actually care about the sport.

Again, the MLS has many faults. It also provides many benefits.
Yea, but can’t you say that for any sport? Relegation sounds good and all until people who are actually affected outside of billionaire owners lose their livelihoods. Article below is a great example.

Yea, but can’t you say that for any sport? Relegation sounds good and all until people who are actually affected outside of billionaire owners lose their livelihoods. Article below is a great example.

People lose their jobs everyday, b.

I joke.

Yeah, human cost is real. It sucks. So does Garber moving teams from one city to another because the new franchise owner shows him a new shiny stadium and unrealistic CAGR projections.

If I had to rank my personal order of importance to "things I wish MLS had," pro/rel isn't the top. Might be top 3. But I would prefer ownership in the German model, and removing all the ridiculous salary cap exemptions that Garber implements to shape team rosters heavy-handidly.

Focusing back on relegation, I don't propose we do away with safety nets or ways to help relegated teams survive the drop. The MLS makes enough money that they could support relegated team with operating costs in the form of non-player, non-executive salaries. For one example.

It's complicated, and I understand the cons. Again, not my top wish to a revamped MLS but it would (ideally) light a fire under the lazy owners to be best. And an improved league is good for all.

Back
Top Bottom