OFFICIAL FOOTY THREAD ⚽️: Euro Cup and Copa America underway

Who wins the Euros?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Solution to American Football.

1) Get rid of the MLS

2) Get rid of all these youth level coaches tying to suck your wallet dry. Your kid’s not going to be good, he/she are trash. These coaches are just trying to take your money. You’re just a mark that they laugh at.

3) Build clubs/institutions in the streets. Not in Hershey, Pennsylvania.

I ask this question as someone whose son just completed his first season of club soccer and we both have begun following the sport regularly over the past year and a half….

Why do people consistently give the MLS S***? My son and I root for our home team (ATL United) which to my knowledge is one of the more profitable franchises in the league. I can definitely acknowledge that for example…the Premier League is a much superior product (Both on field and on television) Both of us enjoy the MLS for what it is. Maybe my still new and not totally trained eyes haven’t taught me better yet.

holy **** this lady commentating the match on fox is horrible. she commentates like she's not even watching the match live and just reporting highlights off a teleprompter or something

I ask this question as someone whose son just completed his first season of club soccer and we both have begun following the sport regularly over the past year and a half….

Why do people consistently give the MLS S***? My son and I root for our home team (ATL United) which to my knowledge is one of the more profitable franchises in the league. I can definitely acknowledge that for example…the Premier League is a much superior product (Both on field and on television) Both of us enjoy the MLS for what it is. Maybe my still new and not totally trained eyes haven’t taught me better yet.
The MLS gets **** because they're trying to model themselves after the other major pro leagues in the US. They operate as a cartel by being single-entity organization with "franchise owners" instead of having independent clubs operating as a group. Think NFL. One league, many franchise owners, yet none of the clubs/owners are their own.

So with that model, it gives the folks at the top unchecked power to do what they want and tamper with the league. Garber uses his power as commissioner to make **** up as he goes. It's why certain players are where they are. It's why we have a salary cap that can he broken by teams in major markets. It's why the playoff format changes year after year.

Last but not least, promotion/relegation. Like I said above, MLS operates as a cartel. They effectively work to kill and minimize lower-level leagues in the US. With less teams/leagues to compete against, the MLS can keep their clubs in a single-league format that doesn't risk relegating the clubs who don't care, because they'll get their money year after year safely (Chicago/New England/San Jose/etc). No need to risk being ambitious.

The MLS keeps the owners' franchise fees, keeps them in the MLS, and expands to new cities to continue taking market share from lower-league teams and destroying an established product (San Diego the most recent example). The MLS promotes mediocrity from clubs who are fine with sucking. Some teams don't play that **** and demand a winning product, Atlanta included.

Mls is fine for what it is, but I think the biggest issue with the league, it does nothing to help the sport in country.
That's a bingo! The league has the most money in the US, which leads to getting good players, but the MLS is the ultimate evolution of "pay to play" model. It's difficult to say I wish the Timbers and other teams could break off of the MLS, because idk how many teams could realistically survive.

Which yeah, if they die they die, and others will pop up in their place. But having, idk, 2-3 clubs fold year after year like the NASL and USL was seeing for a decade, would be ******* heart breaking. I guess that's the trade? Put up with a disrespectful partner to maintain stability and hope they come good one day (Garber dying and his replacement enacting positive changes to grow the sport and league in sustainable ways).

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.

Scoreline finally reflects the match :lol:, that was pure domination from the Dutch.

Not the best opposition but that should be a little confidence booster for them ahead of probably Austria

GAKPO! Walking the ******* line and giving Malen the alley oop :pimp:
Gakpo is a stud
1719942884413.png

MOTM

Back
Top Bottom