OFFICIAL FOOTY THREAD ⚽️: European club season starting this week. Pochettino named new USA coach

I get that there's certain names like my first name that some are literally unable to pronounce due to a particular sound not existing in their language(s), but De Bruyne is not of those :lol:

My first name is Joachim, and the "ch" is something that people with other native languages, particularly English, can't pronounce because the sound doesn't exist in English. It's not something that can be explained through text either. Dutch/Flemish as a native language has the advantage of having a very wide variety of sounds, especially in various dialects, so generally we don't have this issue of not being able to pronounce certain sounds.
But a lot of names are just easy pronunciations butchered out of laziness.

For reference, the third audio example here "(Pronunciation by Vertont (Male from Germany)" is the closest I could find to pronouncing my first name.
https://forvo.com/word/joachim/

Can’t imagine having a Joaquim in America or England.

They’d absolutely butcher that name. :lol:

But that name is popular everywhere else in Europe.

They’d absolutely butcher that name. :lol:

But that name is popular everywhere else in Europe.
Since you spelled it with a q, isn't that a different pronunciation?
People from other countries/languages do always assume mine's the Joaquin Phoenix pronunciation :lol: That's probably the closest anyone can get though if they don't have the "ch" sound in their language. Ironically the French-speaking part of my country often can't pronounce it either, since Dutch often isn't taught in school there due to it not being mandated.
French speakers usually just turn the "ch" into a "K" pronounciation, turning it into Joa-Kim. I always find it funny what variations people come up with.

Since you spelled it with a q, isn't that a different pronunciation?
People from other countries/languages do always assume mine's the Joaquin Phoenix pronunciation :lol: That's probably the closest anyone can get though if they don't have the "ch" sound in their language.

Portuguese and Spanish is always Q. Always. Q = K sound. But the ending varies on m or n.

Portuguese M.

Spanish N.

Which actually goes for a lot of words. Not just this name.

:rofl: at the logic

goofy.jpg

Ronaldo warned us about these training sessions.

ADVERTISEMENT​
A93C7BA8-144F-4F05-B73C-68FD3EEB08D7.png
All the other top strikers from this gen are retired or washed, meanwhile he’s still balling.

Barca choose the wrong aging striker.

I forgot what he said.

We need a deep dive into the Ronaldo interview and how many things he has been proven right about now.

I have always said this, but American sports commentators at least make an effort to pronounce latin or other foreign names with the correct pronunciation. English commentators do not, they try to anglicize the pronunciation.

I have always said this, but American sports commentators at least make an effort to pronounce latin or other foreign names with the correct pronunciation. English commentators do not, they try to anglicize the pronunciation.

I agree.

I’ve said before that American commentators get Portuguese names right way more than Englanders.

Every Lopes and Gomes I’ve ever heard in the MLB has been pronounced corrrectly.

The example I always use with Spanish is Martinez.

American commentators will say “mar-tee-nez”

English commentators pronounce it “martin-ez”

I don’t have a single Hispanic bone in my body and Martin-ez completely baffles me. Not even laziness at that point, it’s just arrogance

That’s been the craziest thing since Boehly’s acquisition of Chelsea to me.

Giving players 7-8 year deals.

I had never heard of that in this sport in my life.

Back
Top Bottom