OFFICIAL FOOTY THREAD ⚽️: European club season starting this week. Pochettino named new USA coach

Barca play some really conservative football. Woulda never thought from a player like xavi. Terrible to watch

i heard that last year too :lol: once city gets back healthy they'll probably do what they always do 2nd half of the year
You my dawg, but you sounding like sir Neckaton

Barca play some really conservative football. Woulda never thought from a player like xavi. Terrible to watch
Beautiful football don't always yield the results that ugly football does.

Idk why these english commentators have such a hard time pronouncing Araujo often.

Ara-who-Ho is wild to say lmaooo

Shoutout Girona

players looked gassed. not sure araujo was fit. he was bad too. terrible performance.

story of the season. can’t put a away anything

Girona and Leverkusen have been fun to watch this season

That Brighton system plus the Arsenal links had me convinced Caicedo was next up

Feels like he flies under the radar from some of the criticism that Chelsea has been getting. Especially considering his price tag

Idk why these english commentators have such a hard time pronouncing Araujo often.

Ara-who-Ho is wild to say lmaooo

Shoutout Girona
Brother these commentators can't even pronounce De Bruyne
I forgot who was commentating but I remember hearing "The Brooyne" once lmao

Just about anything that isn't English will get butchered; it is what it is.

Brother these commentators can't even pronounce De Bruyne
I forgot who was commentating but I remember hearing "The Brooyne" once lmao

Just about anything that isn't English will get butchered; it is what it is.
I admire the dedication to saying “ Deh Broynah” even after Kevin himself has come out to say his name correctly on EPL Socials

I admire the dedication to saying “ Deh Broynah” even after Kevin himself has come out to say his name correctly on EPL Socials
I get that there's certain names like my first name that some are literally unable to pronounce due to a particular sound not existing in their language(s), but De Bruyne is not of those :lol:

My first name is Joachim, and the "ch" is something that people with other native languages, particularly English, can't pronounce because the sound just doesn't exist in English.
It's not something that can be explained through text either. Growing up with Dutch/Flemish as a native language has the advantage of having a very wide variety of sounds, especially in various dialects, so generally we don't have this issue of not being able to pronounce certain sounds. Here in Flanders we're generally mandated to learn 4 languages throughout basic education so you're bound to be familiar with a wide range of sounds. Some people continue to struggle with the French R but that's about it.

A lot of names are just easy pronunciations butchered out of laziness though. Especially English in my view is an extremely simple language with no odd or difficult sounds that I can think of. Obviously no one should expect English commentators to suddenly throw out the French R in French players' names, it's something that would take lots of practice for a purely English speaker, but it really shouldn't be difficult to at least get world class players' easy names right.

For reference, the third audio example here "(Pronunciation by Vertont (Male from Germany)" is the closest I could find to pronouncing my first name.
https://forvo.com/word/joachim/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom