OFFICIAL FOOTY THREAD ⚽️: Spain wins 2024 Euro Cup and Argentina wins the Copa America

Lamps is crazy if he thinks anyone is going to take him seriously after this.

Stop trying to skip the line and earn your stripes man.

Between his trash tactics and alienating players on a whim, its not a good look.

Between his trash tactics and alienating players on a whim, its not a good look.
Andre Wisdom spoke about this during his time at Derby.

This is all true but Chelsea hired him…

What’s he supposed to do? Turn it down?

Argentina should use that money towards their economy. Not use it for Americans.

Hyperinflation is killing that country right now.

Portugal needs to do this in here in MA and NJ :lol: Coupé It Coupé It

Portuguese people don’t migrate here anymore. Not since the 90’s. They don’t leave Portugal anymore actually. Things got better.

Ironbound/Little Portugal in Newark is barely really Portuguese anymore. Brazilians took over.

They all followed Portuguese people to their previous Northeast destinations and took over matter fact. Newark, Providence, Montreal, Toronto, etc

The Portuguese-Americans are going out like Italian-Americans did. Whitewashed, losing any semblance of their past.

Portuguese people don’t migrate here anymore. Not since the 90’s. They don’t leave Portugal anymore actually. Things got better.

Ironbound/Little Portugal in Newark is barely really Portuguese anymore. Brazilians took over.

They all followed Portuguese people to their previous Northeast destinations and took over matter fact. Newark, Providence, Montreal, Toronto, etc

The Portuguese-Americans are going out like Italian-Americans did. Whitewashed, losing any semblance of their past.

I think we talked about this before, but this has been the case in California for a while now. There’s a large number of Portuguese descendants (you can tell by the names alone) but 90% of them want to blend in with generic bland white people. You would think that Central California would’ve developed some sort of unique identity with all the Azores immigrants over the years that moved there for farming, but they decided to assimilate with redneck Republicans instead (see that @&$ hole Devin Nunes as a perfect example).The Portuguese neighborhood in the South Bay near where my parents live is non existent now except for one small market/restaurant hybrid.

I never understood this about so many European descendants in the US. Every other race seems to place a high importance on maintaining parts of their culture when they move to a new country, and whitewashed people get clowned on heavily. Within European Americans it seems to be the opposite, where people take pride on wanting to be “real American”.

I just don’t know why anyone would trade in all the interesting and different festivals, traditions, food, etc. and just default to mediocre Italian food and “I’m 1/9383883th Irish” to get drunk on St. Patrick’s Day. I can’t imagine switching to that type of bland and generic life, @$&@ sounds so boring.

Last edited:
I think we talked about this before, but this has been the case in California for a while now. There’s a large number of Portuguese descendants (you can tell by the names alone) but 90% of them want to blend in with generic bland white people. You would think that Central California would’ve developed some sort of unique identity with all the Azores immigrants over the years that moved there for farming, but they decided to assimilate with redneck Republicans instead (see that @&$ hole Devin Nunes as a perfect example).The Portuguese neighborhood in the South Bay near where my parents live is non existent now except for one small market/restaurant hybrid.

I never understood this about so many European descendants in the US. Every other race seems to place a high importance on maintaining parts of their culture when they move to a new country, and whitewashed people get clowned on heavily. Within European Americans it seems to be the opposite, where people take pride on wanting to be “real American”.

I just don’t know why anyone would trade in all the interesting and different festivals, traditions, food, etc. and just default to mediocre Italian food and “I’m 1/9383883th Irish” to get drunk on St. Patrick’s Day. I can’t imagine switching to that type of bland and generic life, @$&@ sounds so boring.

We’re not that big of a group in comparison with other Europeans. Maybe in Toronto and Montreal. There Portuguese people actually have real numbers.

But I’ve heard and read about the Californian-Portuguese. Those were generations ago (100 plus years) so that’s expected.

But here from Jersey to Massachusetts where they flooded in during the 80’s/90s they’re just about done. Brazilians priests taking over Portuguese churches built by Portuguese immigrants (things my grandparents just talked about at Easter) :lol:

It’s funny to me but I guess it’s the American way. Once you make a little money and leave the neighborhood it’s a wrap. I just couldn’t let that happen.

A child of mine would have to know at least 3 languages before he’s 18 or else he’s a failure.

Hey if I had to go to two schools growing up they have to go to two schools growing up. This is a global economy anyway. It’ll help them.
i'm not mad at the idea itself, but your conviction is what i find humorous.

It’s funny to me but I guess it’s the American way. Once you make a little money and leave the neighborhood it’s a wrap. I just couldn’t let that happen.

A child of mine would have to know at least 3 languages before he’s 18 or else he’s a failure.

It makes me laugh when people talk about “We only spoke English at home after immigrating here”. I know many Europeans were discriminated against when they moved here, but it’s not even like there was an official ban on learning their languages and customs like there was in so many other countries. Even in those countries, people found ways to maintain their culture in secret. Nobody stripped them from their families and forced them to grow up in Anglo communities with no exposure to their origins.

My girlfriend is Japanese/Chinese and grew up in Indonesia until college. When her great-grandparents immigrated to Indonesia, they were forced to assimilate into Indonesian culture. They had to legally change their names, only speak Indonesian in public, and follow only Indonesian customs in public.

At home was a different story though, they did whatever they wanted outside of the public eye.

These days they have a good mix of cultures IMO. Day to day they speak Indonesian, make Indonesian food, take pride in Indonesian culture etc. but also continue Japanese/Chinese customs, cooking, and festivals equally. They’re not fluent in their original languages, but they know enough to get by.

I know that’s not unique to them; that’s pretty much the same story with almost every Asian/African/Latino immigrant I know. For European immigrants in the US though, it’s the exact opposite.

It makes me laugh when people talk about “We only spoke English at home after immigrating here”. I know many Europeans were discriminated against when they moved here, but it’s not even like there was an official ban on learning their languages and customs like there was in so many other countries. Even in those countries, people found ways to maintain their culture in secret. Nobody stripped them from their families and forced them to grow up in Anglo communities with no exposure to their origins.

My girlfriend is Japanese/Chinese and grew up in Indonesia until college. When her great-grandparents immigrated to Indonesia, they were forced to assimilate into Indonesian culture. They had to legally change their names, only speak Indonesian in public, and follow only Indonesian customs in public.

At home was a different story though, they did whatever they wanted outside of the public eye.

These days they have a good mix of cultures IMO. Day to day they speak Indonesian, make Indonesian food, take pride in Indonesian culture etc. but also continue Japanese/Chinese customs, cooking, and festivals equally. They’re not fluent in their original languages, but they know enough to get by.

I know that’s not unique to them; that’s pretty much the same story with almost every Asian/African/Latino immigrant I know. For European immigrants in the US though, it’s the exact opposite.

Asians don’t play around. Those parents force their kids to learn their history, language, and heritage.

I respect it.

Weren't they turning down offers for him last summer? Price is gonna go down serious after this season

Back
Top Bottom