OFFICIAL GSWARRIORS 2012 SEASON THREAD.

The Golden State Warriors reportedly have no interest in using the amnesty provision on Andris Biedrins.

Many Golden State fans will clamor for the team to reconsider, but it doesn't sound like he's a candidate to be waived. The team is expected to pursue big men in free agency, so if the club lands the desired target, perhaps the Warriors will reconsider the reported stance on Biedrins.

I don't see why they won't. Hasnt done anything since they 07-08 year. Can't shoot FTs, can't defend, can't stay out of foul trouble.

We are not very deep in depth with Centers, so keep for him now in case we cant get anything. We waive him now and dont get anything, then we are worse off, at least in terms of depth.

[h1]Warriors cap situation less than ideal[/h1] November 27, 2011, 1:16 pm

There are still details to emerge from the NBA’s newcollective bargaining agreement, but the framework of the deal is coming intofocus.

And what Warriors fans will see when it’s all said and doneis something that doesn’t look a whole lot different from the old system theteam was working under.

With free agency a little more than a week away, it seemsapparent the Warriors won’t be big players in the market, unless, that is,owner Joe Lacob and his front office team are prepared to make a bold, riskymove.
http://
The bottom line is the Warriors appear to be in aless-than-optimal position – not far enough under the salary cap to do majordamage and not over either, preventing them from using the mid-levelexception.

The Warriors have committed more than $31 million to DavidLee, Monta Ellis and Andris Biedrins for the upcoming season. They’ve gotanother $12.5 million committed to Dorell Wright, Stephen Curry, Lou Amundsonand Ekpe Udoh.

That’s approximately $43.5 million with the salary cap being$58 million.

They’ve also got Charlie Bell on the books for $4.1 million,and throw another $4 million in there for Klay Thompson, Jeremy Tyler, CharlesJenkins and Jeremy Lin.

That puts the Warriors at about $51-plus million – or about$6-plus million under the cap. If the Warriors use their amnesty clause onBell, they could conceivably get $10 or $11 million under.

While that sounds like a nice chunk of change, it’s stillprobably not enough to get a player such as Nene, considered perhaps the bestfree agent big man available. It is probably enough to get you Clippers’ centerDeAndre Jordan, but the Warriors would need to think long and hard aboutoffering him a contract in the $7- to $9 million range – particularly withBiedrins still earning $9 million per.

Even if the Warriors get to $11 million under, best casewould likely be acquiring two role players. Keep in mind, even teams above thecap will have the mid-level exception, worth $5 million in Year 1.

Now, the Warriors could become a big player in the free agentmarket with one big-time move – using the amnesty clause on David Lee or AndrisBiedrins. Making a move like that would give the Warriors big-time cap roomthis offseason, but would also leave them extremely short-handed in thefrontcourt – and they were shorthanded when they were at full strength lastseason.

In other words, if you amnesty Lee or Biedrins, you betterbe able to sign a frontcourt player better than the one you get rid of andthere are no assurances of that.

It might behoove the Warriors to not use the amnestyprovision this year – therefore remaining about $7 million under the cap. Thatwould give them more financial clout than teams with simply the mid-levelexception and they could still be bold next season or the year after andamnesty Lee or Biedrins.

The Warriors are by no means in a dire situation when itcomes to the salary cap, their payroll and financial flexibility. But they’refar from sitting pretty, either.

The Warriors could use their amnesty on Charlie Bell. But Charlie's an expiring contract at about $4mil. He has some value when put into that context.

I agree with Steinmetz. Maybe we can use the amnesty next year on Biedrins. It would give us an advantage over most teams.

Originally Posted by GSDOUBLEU

We are not very deep in depth with Centers, so keep for him now in case we cant get anything. We waive him now and dont get anything, then we are worse off, at least in terms of depth.
Usually when people talk about depth, you are referring to players who are capable of doing something beneficial to the team.  Not just someone who takes up a roster spot.  We can get one of those for a fraction of the cost.
If not Biedrins, it has to be David Lee.  That contract is horrid.  And I disagree with Steinmetz saying we HAVE to replace Biedrins/Lee with someone as good or better.  Are we built to compete for a playoff spot this year?

I have to thank Jackson for improving my selective listening skills. Breen - sure. JVG - yep. Jackson - MUTE

You don't like "Hand down Man Down"?
laugh.gif

*Updated List*

5th Annual NT Warriors Fantasy Basketball League

Y'all know I love my charts
pimp.gif
. Please confirm if you're in or you're out this year:

[table][tr][th=""]Team Name
[/th] [th=""]Yes[/th] [th=""]No[/th] [/tr][tr][td]Paul Is On Tilt
[/td] [td]
343ri4w.gif
yeah!
[/td] [td]-
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]NothingToL0se
[/td] [td]KlayMaker[/td] [td]-
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]GSDOUBLEU
[/td] [td]im in[/td] [td]-
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]FRANCHISE 55
[/td] [td]XXX 
pimp.gif
[/td] [td]-
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]daprescription
[/td] [td]I'm in.[/td] [td]-
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]acidicality
[/td] [td]X
[/td] [td]-
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]offbad
[/td] [td]yes
[/td] [td]-
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]dland12
[/td] [td]X
[/td] [td]-
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]dont be a menace
[/td] [td]i'm in
[/td] [td]-
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Andrew630
[/td] [td]-
[/td] [td]-
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]What up
[/td] [td]
Someone put "boobs" or something under my name in the chart.   It's not showing up on my !#@*%!% mac.
[/td] [td]-
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Luong1209
[/td] [td]You already know
[/td] [td]-
[/td][/tr][/table]

Let's do another money league. The last one went smooth *cough* with the exception of dland *cough*.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Up the ante a bit and have it $20 each?

I'm not optimistic about Beans doing anything this year, but it does make sense NOT to amnesty him given where we are as a roster and compared to the cap.

Marcus Thompson brought up a solid point, you waive Beans, he signs somewhere for the minimum (i.e - Phx) so a conference rival and we still don't have a center. Then we try to get Nene, but NJ can outbid us there too.

The perfect candidate is David Lee, but Lacob would have to remove the sack from his mouth first.

Hi everyone. Hope you're all doing well!
Just putting y'all on notice that I might have more games available this year. I've been going through some family stuff and coupled with teaching/school, I won't be able to go as often until Feb/March I think.

Originally Posted by FRANCHISE 55

Here's something I wrote for the KNBR blog about why I think David Lee should be the amnesty target.
Read it, loved it, agreed! 

pimp.gif
for being named Scott too and a Warrior fan!

You can argue every which way, and it can be completely reasonable and valid, but there's absolutely no chance Lacob puts the eraser to David Lee. It was his "first" signing/deal basically and unless he's poker face is better than I think it is (coupled with his overall business sense being able to overcome the emotional aspect) the idea won't even be on the table.

At this rate, I'll be happy if we actually use it this go around.

Yeah I agree that it's not going to happen, but it should happen.
Edit: But I guess it's easy to say that when we aren't the ones shelling out $68M for him to go away.

Nice write up Franch. I agree with everything you wrote aside from the first sentence of the last paragraph....in which I would say is highly debatable.

Y'all really dislike David lee like that?

I'm a believer in his game. He just needs to be paired with a defensive minded center (like what the mavs did with dirk)

Like I stated before, take a risk on grandpa oden if he comes cheap enough.

Originally Posted by Addict4Sneakers

Y'all really dislike David lee like that?

I'm a believer in his game. He just needs to be paired with a defensive minded center (like what the mavs did with dirk)

Like I stated before, take a risk on grandpa oden if he comes cheap enough.
We gave up a lot in terms of cap space and expiring deals.

Imagine we had that still, plus amenisty...we could actually be making a spalsh in free agency, or have the ability to.  Now I expect neither.

Just a ridiculous deal for someone who isn't a difference maker....for us, at least.   Didn't Oden get offered a $8m Qualifying Offer before the lock out?  He's not passing that up, and he's not worth us taking that HIGH of a gamble.

Lee's contract is really bad but he's been exactly as advertised (which makes his deal even more strange in hindsight)

I disagree that he's not a difference maker. Just look at our record this time last season when he was out with that elbow infection, arguably our ugliest stretch.

Originally Posted by B Town Legend

Lee's contract is really bad but he's been exactly as advertised (which makes his deal even more strange in hindsight)

I disagree that he's not a difference maker. Just look at our record this time last season when he was out with that elbow infection, arguably our ugliest stretch.

But if I remember correctly, six of those seven losses were on the road against either decent or good teams.

Back
Top Bottom