OFFICIAL HOCKEY THREAD: NHL, KHL, NCAA, IIHL

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Everytime HBKid name drops I feel like it's a hockey version of Charlie Murphy's True Hollywood Stories
laugh.gif

Spoiler [+]
1qstx4.png
hahahaha 
roll.gif

I hate my parents for not investing more time and money in Hockey when I was growing up. 
mad.gif

Could have been a Richard Park but Vietnamese
eyes.gif
frown.gif

Originally Posted by kash55

You Bruins fans are blind.

You guys always moan about the calls you get but Boston is a dirty team, and they play well in that style. But that doesn't diminish the fact that there are always questionable hits and plays with this team. How many controversies has this team already been in and it's not even half way to the season yet.

And today they tried again to be overtly aggressive and the Canucks made them pay on the PP cause Boston kept taking stupid penalties. This strategy worked in last season cause they don't call many penalties in the Finals and so Canucks couldn't take advantage of the way Boston plays.

ps. The league needs to start punishing Lucic for these antics of his, I'm not sure if what he did tonight will get him suspended. But next time he does something dirty, which won't be long, hit him with a long suspension for being a multiple offender. Handful of games and a hefty fine.
laugh.gif
always questionable hits? like what? you make it sound like we're on the phone with shanny EVERY week.

LMAO @ overtly aggressive. the whole afternoon started because your team tough guy alexandra burrows sticked thornton in the throat. and then six canucks tried beating him down all at once. after that bs, what do you expect. it's the exact same thing that happened during those glorious two weeks last june. we tried playing your speed game and skill game, but then you guys came out biting and diving and head hunting. so eff it, we can play rough too. and you guys caved. your "strategy" as you said won't work in the playoffs, so fine. i have no issue with that.

the league has already said lucic's misconduct was wrong and not warranted. i'd like to hear more of his antics. running miller? yeah, that got him a whopping ZERO game suspension. so dirty a play, clearly. he's had borderline boarding calls where players turn their backs at the last minute. but not sure how he's a dirty player. he plays the game physical, sure.

the marchand hit. game misconduct is laughable. only because salo stayed down acting hurt. i love how he throws the hissy fit and chucks his stick up against the glass too. really must be injured bad. i'm sure he's fine, right? didn't he return later in the game? or is he really missing time. funny, horton got hit the same way earlier but got back up, and wow, no call at all. funny how that works. should have been two minutes for marchand.

as i said, three, or at least two, of those PP goals aren't happening in a playoff game because there's no PP. so i'm not worried if we face you guys in the playoffs.

Surprise, surprise, the Canucks' players, management (Mike Gillis, especially), and fans continue to display the bewailing character that makes them one of the most despised organizations in all of sports. Spare me.

On the subject of hypocrisy, though, I can assume Vancouver fans felt Ballard deserved a suspension for his hipper (nearly identical to the the Marchand-Salo hit) on Jamie McGinn last spring?

TSN reporting that Columbus has fired Scott Arniel.

I always liked him as a coach when his was here with the Moose, and I really don't think that this will fix their problems. That franchise is a mess

Originally Posted by hawkflight6

I always liked him as a coach when his was here with the Moose, and I really don't think that this will fix their problems. That franchise is a mess
Why are they doing this now?

Originally Posted by True Blues

Originally Posted by hawkflight6

Why are they doing this now?
They might be trying to save face with the current roster in place.... If players don't respond, I would imagine a fire sale of Nash and Carter will take place. 
Wow, my whole sentence sounded like a rhyme 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by dmxfury

Injuries have depressed me at this point. First football now hockey

Every time I read the ticker it seems like another Penguin is out. You guys can't catch a break (no pun intended).

Updated: January 9, 2012, 1:51 PM ET

[h2]Bruins GM defends Brad Marchand[/h2]

By Joe McDonald
ESPNBoston.com
http://search.espn.go.com/joe-mcdonald/

BOSTON -- Boston Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli took exception to the abrasive comments made by Vancouver Canucks coach Alain Vigneault and GM Mike Gillis about Bruins forward Brad Marchand for his hit on Canucks defenseman Sami Salo.

After the Bruins' 4-3 loss to the Canucks in their Stanley Cup finals rematch Saturday, Bruins coach Claude Julien said Marchand was protecting himself when he hit Salo, a remark that enraged the Canucks.

"That's a stupid comment," Vigneault said from Sunrise, Fla., according to The Province, a British Columbia newspaper. "What Marchand did there, you could end a player's career doing that and I've never seen Sami Salo take a run at any player in the NHL. All I've seen Sami Salo do is play with integrity and play the right way.

"Marchand -- this is just my feeling on this -- someday he's going to get it. Somebody is going to say enough is enough and they're going to hurt the kid, because he plays to hurt players, and in my mind if the league doesn't take care of it, somebody else will."

Chiarelli was angered by the latter remark, saying, "I think we've learned our lesson over time that that's a real inappropriate comment. That's a real inappropriate comment and it's an unprofessional comment. There's a carryover effect from the playoffs; it's a big game, it's a hyped-up game, and there's a lot of probably pent-up emotion that goes behind that comment. Having said all that, they shouldn't say stuff like that."

Marchand and Chiarelli had a disciplinary hearing via conference call with NHL disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan on Monday afternoon.

"It's not normally my style to respond in the media to stuff like that, especially when there's a hearing coming up," Chiarelli said. "I would like to respond in the spirit of protecting our player. The comments made about our player, I don't like that. Brad does play on the edge, but he's no dirtier than two or three of their players."

He added: "I just feel the need to respond. Whether it's from coaches, GMs, or players, I don't like to hear that kind of stuff. There's a lobbying element to it. I feel the league does a real good job in these hearings and I don't think it's necessary to have that out there."

Julien said the Bruins are not going to alter their style of play.

"Somehow the Bruins happen to be the team that people prefer picking on and think we're the bruisers and the example of the league," he said. "We have to live with that, but the one thing we won't do is change our style of play. Our team is built that way. I think we play pretty entertaining hockey. We're a fast team, we're a skilled team, but we're also a physical team. We're Stanley Cup champions, so I don't see why we should change."

this is getting good
laugh.gif

Julien saying Marchand was "defending himself" is one of the most ******ed comments I've ever heard. Boston is just one big giant city of homers. The fans, announcers, reporters, and even the management. Obviously I expect the coach to defend his players but that is just an absurd thing to say.

While I don't think that Marchand was "defending" himself...I don't see much difference in what he did in comparison to Ballard's hit on the other page.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

While I don't think that Marchand was "defending" himself...I don't see much difference in what he did in comparison to Ballard's hit on the other page.
exactly. and again, someone hit horton in the same way earlier in the game. but when a player doesn't stay down, no one cares...

5 games for Marchand

http://tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/?name=brad+marchand
Brad Marchand has received an five-game suspension for his hit on Vancouver Canucks defenceman Sami Salo in the Bruins' 4-3 loss on Saturday.

Marchand received a five minute major for clipping and a game misconduct for his low-bridge hit.

Salo left the game after the hit and reportedly suffered a concussion as a result of the hit.

The 23-year-old Marchand has been suspended before. He was given a two-game ban last March for an elbow to the head of Columbus forward R.J. Umberger.

Marchand was also fined $2,500 last month for slew-footing Pittsburgh defenceman Matt Niskanen.

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

Originally Posted by kash55

You Bruins fans are blind.

You guys always moan about the calls you get but Boston is a dirty team, and they play well in that style. But that doesn't diminish the fact that there are always questionable hits and plays with this team. How many controversies has this team already been in and it's not even half way to the season yet.

And today they tried again to be overtly aggressive and the Canucks made them pay on the PP cause Boston kept taking stupid penalties. This strategy worked in last season cause they don't call many penalties in the Finals and so Canucks couldn't take advantage of the way Boston plays.

ps. The league needs to start punishing Lucic for these antics of his, I'm not sure if what he did tonight will get him suspended. But next time he does something dirty, which won't be long, hit him with a long suspension for being a multiple offender. Handful of games and a hefty fine.
laugh.gif
always questionable hits? like what? you make it sound like we're on the phone with shanny EVERY week.

LMAO @ overtly aggressive. the whole afternoon started because your team tough guy alexandra burrows sticked thornton in the throat. and then six canucks tried beating him down all at once. after that bs, what do you expect. it's the exact same thing that happened during those glorious two weeks last june. we tried playing your speed game and skill game, but then you guys came out biting and diving and head hunting. so eff it, we can play rough too. and you guys caved. your "strategy" as you said won't work in the playoffs, so fine. i have no issue with that.

the league has already said lucic's misconduct was wrong and not warranted. i'd like to hear more of his antics. running miller? yeah, that got him a whopping ZERO game suspension. so dirty a play, clearly. he's had borderline boarding calls where players turn their backs at the last minute. but not sure how he's a dirty player. he plays the game physical, sure.

the marchand hit. game misconduct is laughable. only because salo stayed down acting hurt. i love how he throws the hissy fit and chucks his stick up against the glass too. really must be injured bad. i'm sure he's fine, right? didn't he return later in the game? or is he really missing time. funny, horton got hit the same way earlier but got back up, and wow, no call at all. funny how that works. should have been two minutes for marchand.

as i said, three, or at least two, of those PP goals aren't happening in a playoff game because there's no PP. so i'm not worried if we face you guys in the playoffs.
1. Salo didn't return to the game.

2. The point of contact was at the knees.

3. Ballard's hit was borderline, but it's safe to say that Jamie McGinn was actually taking a run at Ballard. Claude Julien's comments were simply idiotic.

4. A 5 game suspension is rather interesting for a hit that should have been nothing more than a 2 minute interference call, don't you think?

I don't know what you people are talking about. First off, Thornton was fighting six Canucks. It's funny because he could take them all on. Did anybody see Lucic when he was about to go to the bench? He put his hands up and basically said "@+@ is this?" Of course, he's going to back up his boy. Also, Lucic didn't get suspended because it was a legit change or something with Paille. Did anybody see Sedin during the scrum? A few hits here and there and once he saw Chara, his booty @+@ went straight to the bench! And look what happened! The Canucks had a 5-on-3! I was swearing up a storm and scratching my head wondering how they got away with this robbery!

Don't even get me started on Weise! Talking all that smack and he couldn't even back it up. The refs made the right call by giving Thornton and him 2 minute penalties but Thornton was about to re-arrange his face. Weise is not ready for Thornton.

I am happy that Lapierre actually threw hands with Campbell. I didn't know Maxim had it in himself.

Yes, Marchand is a rat. I think we all know that. I think he deserved the five game suspension but that's the way he plays. Marchand backs it up at least. Does anybody remember the fight against Subban? He got under his skin, both got 2 minutes and what happened after they got out of the box? They fought each other! Give Noseface some credit.

Lapierre, Burrows, Weise are just a bunch of cowards. I would like to see those three against Chara, McQuaid and Thornton in a back alley somewhere. I would literally look like that Michael Jackson .gif with the popcorn.

In just comparing Marchand and Ballard's hit, seemed like Salo had turned his back to Marchand right before the low-bridge hit, and in the other one, McGinn is actually moving forward and preparing to absorb the hit.
That's the only difference I see, besides of course, that Salo remained down on the ice. 

Personally, I was expecting 2.

Chiarelli responds:
Statement from Bruins General Manager Peter Chiarelli Regarding Suspension to Brad Marchand

"While we respect the process that the Department of Player Safety took to reach their decision regarding Brad’s hit on Sami Salo, we are very disappointed by their ruling.

"While we understand that the Department of Safety is an evolving entity, it is frustrating that there are clear comparable situations that have not been penalized or sanctioned in the past.

"It is equally disappointing that Brad sought the counsel of the Department this past Fall for an explanation and clarification regarding this type of scenario so as to adjust his game if necessary. He was advised that such an incident was not sanctionable if he was protecting his own safety.  Given our feeling that Brad was indeed protecting himself and certainly did not clip the player as he contacted the player nowhere near the knee or quadricep, today’s ruling is not consistent with what the Department of Player Safety communicated to Brad."

5 games....
roll.gif

amazing

i expected 2 or 3 because of the reputation...but 5 is laughable.

You thinking that Boston doesn't play dirty is laughable. At least acknowledge it, the Bruins are great at it, they won the cup because of it. It's not skill plays, it's rebounds, dirty goals, intimidation, grit, these are why they're successful.

And playing like that, you're bound to go over board, and you'll be punished for it. It shouldn't come as a surprise.

Back
Top Bottom