Official Jazz thread

Chet Baker - Almost Blue
Posting for the first time in the music thread of the new NT. Song written for Chet by Elvis Costello.

How about a little bossa nova for today?

From Vince Guaraldi... I'll save the Peanuts stuff for another day...

Indeed... Joe Henderson doesn't get as much recognition as he should!

Incidentally, this performance was the first time I heard of him... back in '94.

^ Great choice...

Another classic...

Look at this line-up...  :wow:

Miles Davis(tp)

John Coltrane(ts)

Julian "Cannonball" Adderly(as)

Red Garland(p)

Paul Chambers(b)

"Philly" Joe Jones(ds)

Robert Glasper Trio - Maiden Voyage/Everything In It's Right Place. Bridgestone Music Festival 2009

Found a new live vid of Glasper playing this song. I know I've posted various iterations of him playing this song in this thread, but melding Herbie Hancock & Radiohead like this is pure unadulterated genius.

Kenny Burrell - Midnight Blue

A lot of the vids I posted prior to the NT change are lost so posting some of that stuff. Good to see you 'round here SinnerP...

Ray Charles & Milt Jackson - How Long Blues (album Soul Brothers Soul Meeting)

Posting this song again. A lot of cats don't know Ray recorded some jazz albums. This is my favorite from what I think is his best jazz release.

Miles Davis - 'Round Midnight

Miles Davis - trumpet
John Coltrane - tenor sax
Paul Chambers - bass
Philly Joe Jones - drums
Red Garland - piano

My all time favorite song regardless of genre. Love the bridge when Coltrane comes soaring in.

Monk in Denmark

I've always been amazed at the quality of the audio on this vid that is 50-60 years old..

I must admit... I tried liking the current generation of jazz artists, but they just don't do it for me. I like Roy Hargrove, but only some of his older stuff.

Anyway... Stan takes on one of my favs...

Joshua Redman - Alone In The Morning

SinnerP, there are a lot of young cats worth listening to. Here's one of my favorites.

laugh.gif
 I actually have one of Redman's albums... bought it in the late 90's I think.  

Yeah, this cut is pretty good.

I guess I just prefer "traditional" sounding stuff.

A lot of the newer guys seem to get into "free jazz" mode, which just isn't my thing... Having said that, I don't listen to a lot of the newer-guys, so this could come off as a blanket-generalization. 

Yeah, I have a few McBride albums too... in it he played a lot more traditional/standard stuff, so that's fine with me... 

Last edited:
Ninety Miles - E'Cha

Some young cats. Got their album earlier this year. This was a staple in the jazz rotation for me for most of the early portion of the year. Christian Scott on trumpet, David Sanchez on tenor sax, Stefon Harris on vibes.

When it comes to the current generation, I think they have a lot to offer in terms of vocals. Psk already posted some Gretchen Parlato, I like her and also Jane Monheit is pretty good as well.

Ben Williams - Home & Dawn Of A New Day (NPR Tiny Desk Concert)

I've seen this guy a handful of times at local venues/festivals. Washington DC's finest (IMO)....Hope you like some of these young cats SinnerP....

Christian Scott - The Eraser

Another young cat. These younger guys like Scott & Glasper must really love Radiohead & Thom Yorke...Scott covering Yorke's song...

Back
Top Bottom