Official Jazz thread

Originally Posted by omgitswes

Wow I've never heard of the Philaelphia Experiment. Already a fan, do they just have the one album from 2001?
They have the intial release & then an album called The Philadelphia Experiment Remixed. This group spawned The Detroit Experiement & The Harlem Experiment put out by Ropeadope records. None of the cats from The Philly Experiment were involved in those groups though.

Questlove has another group too called The Randy Watson Experience that most cats don't know about. I think the second keyboard/piano player from The Roots, Jimmy Poyser is the other member in this group. They have other cats shuffle in & out handling various duties. My favorite cut from them is a cover of Sting's Be Still My Beating Heart with a female singer. 

Something different for a Friday. Some Friday French steez. Not necessarily jazz, more the jazznova tip. Great song...Friday

Wasn't aware Chris Botti had a new album. From the tracklisting it doesn't look very "jazzy" but he's still one of my favorites
Here's a track with him and Herbie Hancock

eek.gif
 i never thought i would see a thread like this in the music forum. maybe i'll start to frequent more often now. 

Not sure why the youtube poster says this is a DJ Spinna song. It's Soulive with Spinna providing the DJ skills. I know this is more funk but oh well....Nice Friday jawn while I'm working on spread sheets...

dave brubeck, so godlike, those atypical key signatures in his songs blow my mind everyday
im sure you may have heard of already but this is one of my faves

Seriously trethousandgt?!?! That dude ain't remotely close to jazz. That's some puta zamfir panflute/john tesh/yanni !%$...I seriously hope that was just a really bad attempt at some humor...Yuck, feel like I just swallowed a big seeing that posted in here.

Some classic Herbie Hanock for a Monday morning.

Might of posted this song before. But just heard Dexter Gordon's version coming home last night.

Kurt Elling is really good. Probably my favorite version of this song other than Nat King Cole's

Nice post Wes. Elling's version of the song is nice. Other than Cole's I like Ella's version too. This one's been remastered. It sounds incredible on vinyl too. I like this vid also...Jose James did a version of this to but I can't find in on "the internets"...

That video was really cool. I don't remember ever hearing her version. Just like everything else she did, it was amazing.

Anyone know what the music scene is like in DC? It's looking like I'll be moving up there after graduation.

DC has nothing but transplants so you should fit right in. There's a lot of great clubs. For Jazz the best I can think of is Columbia Station & Twins Jazz for more local stuff. For national acts check out the famed Blues Alley. It's pricey though. For rock, alternative, & rap, you gotta go to the famous 9:30 club. They get all the national acts. I've been to hundreds of shows there in the past...Lots of different local festivals too.

Cool, thanks.
Yeah like there are no jobs for real down here in Bama within my major. So I'm looking at positions now and they have exactly what I want to get into, and a ton of positions that need to be filled.

Originally Posted by omgitswes

Cool, thanks.
Yeah like there are no jobs for real down here in Bama within my major. So I'm looking at positions now and they have exactly what I want to get into, and a ton of positions that need to be filled.
Good luck. You should like DC...If you're still a sneakerhead, you gotta gotta check out Commonwealth. Here's the link to their site. They've got a pretty big following from Pharrell/Chad, ATCQ, Wale, Bun B, The Clipse, Big Boi, etc....Also here's a write up about the store from Complex.com's site here.

This album has been on heavy rotation for me since it was released. I just hope he does a straight foward jazz record also.

Esthero isn't a jazz artist but the arrangement is big band/jazz. Love her & this song. Where are you Esthero?

Again, I know this isn't Jazz but I think it fits in the thread. More jazznova vibe...Can never get tired or Yukimi Nagano.

Originally Posted by psk2310

Again, I know this isn't Jazz but I think it fits in the thread. More jazznova vibe...Can never get tired or Yukimi Nagano.

Really like this. Probably because I'm such a huge Little Dragon fan.
What else outside of Little Dragon has she done?

Back
Top Bottom