Official Jazz thread

Stevie Ray Vaughan - Riviera Paradise

This song played while engaged in schuffle mode while working this Monday morning. Keep making guitar playing faces while working on some spread sheets... :smokin

RIP Stevie. You are sorely missed. Glad I got to see you twice before you passed... The legend is Stevie like many a blues musicians is that he made a deal with the devil so he could play like he could & so the devil came a calling for his soul when his helicopter went down. The city of Austin has a beautiful bronze statue of him in a city park & the locals say not to step in it's shadow should you get cursed...

Last edited:
Angela seems to have caught my heart

Sonny Rollins - Alfie

Nice posts guys. Going with some movies...

The soundtrack for the original version of this movie starring Michael Caine done by Sonny Rollins, the Mo Better Blues Soundtrack, & the 'Round Midnight soundtracks are the greatest jazz movie soundtracks ever IMO...

Brandford Marsalis Quartet - Say Hey

Herbie Hancock - Chan's Song

Esperanza Spalding - Hold On Me & I Can't Help It (Michael Jackson cover)

I just came across this. In addition to being so talented/intelligent, she is so naturally beautiful that it's ridiculous that just one person is so blessed... Also not sure if I posted the whole concert before but below is her Austin City Limits appearance from a couple of years ago...

Diana Krall - Besame Mucho & Let's Face The Music & Dance

Her last album get's the yuck face but love her older stuff.

Live in Rio

Herbie Hancock - Maiden Voyage, King Cobra, & Chameleon (Headhunters live w/ Jaco Pastorius)

Happy belated 73rd birthday Herbie. Some of my favorite cuts of his...

Herbie Hancock Headhunters 1974

Found this performance from 1974 on youtube. Vid & sound quality isn't bad...

Heikki Sarmanto - Duke and Trane

Found this CD over the weekend. I was stocked when I saw it & couldn't wait to play it at home.

Herbie's still one of my all-time-favs cuz it was what got me into jazz. Chameleon, Cantaloupe Island, Watermelon Man...

Anyway... 

Branford Marsalis - Teo, The Mighty Sword, & La Valse Kendall (w/ Joey Calderazzo)

Marsalis & his quartet playing Monk :smokin

International Jazz Day Global Concert (4/30/13)

This concert was held in Istanbul yesterday presented by UNESCO, the Republic of Turkey and the Thelonious Monk Institute of Jazz featuring Herbie Hancock and Wayne Shorter, Robert Glasper, Esperanza Spalding, Joss Stone, Marcus Miller, John McLaughlin, Terence Blanchard, Ruben Blades, Ramsey Lewis, Hugh Masekela, Eddie Palmieri, Al Jarreau, Dianne Reeves, George Duke, Lee Ritenour, Jean-Luc Ponty, Milton Nascimento, John Beasley, Igor Butman, Anat Cohen, Vinnie Coliauta, Imer Demirer, James Genus, Bilal Karaman, Pedrito Martinez, Keiko Matsui, Terri Lyne Carrington, Hüsnü Şenlendirici, Joe Louis Walker, Ben Williams and others.

This took place in Turkey because of Atlantic record's founder Ahmet Ertegun who is Turkish.

Last edited:
Luciana Souza - Here it is (Leonard Cohen cover)

I love her voice. This i a great cover. Original in spoiler mode below.

Last edited:
Diana Krall - Walk On By

Great Burt Bacharach song but the best version is Isaac Hayes...

I like the version in the link below, but the embedding was disabled. It features Russell Malone on the guitar.

Last edited:
I discovered this guy today, Marcos Valle. Apparently he's an OG as far as Brazilian music, he's done a lot of really dope bossa,samba and fusion stuff going back to the '60s

That "Previaso Do Tempo" song though 
smokin.gif

I get caught up watching The Terminal with Tom Hanks every time it's on cable. Even my 9 year old son watches it with me from time to time. Posting A Great Day In Harlem doc again along with some great songs from Benny Golson (Something In B Flat, Killer Joe, & April In Paris).

i actually just discovered this. ive been hearing this house remix of it past few months and finally figured out the original.

pretty dope if you ask me.

Joe Henderson - Blue Bossa

I like Henderson too. He get's lost when there is talk about the great sax players but he's right up there. This was always my favorite of his.

Dani Gurgel - Samba do Jazz

My Brazilian in-law played this the other night when we went to her house for dinner.

Robert Glasper & director J. Kevin Swain are trying to get funding for a documentary they wanna make entitled Of Dreams To Come. Their goal is to raise $80k via IndieGogo campaign. I just kicked over a few clams. If you'd like to contribute, the link is provided below. Also below is a fundraising campaign video featuring both gentlemen.

Back
Top Bottom