Official Jeremy Lin Thread.

Originally Posted by dyyhard

[h2]http://www.nola.com/newsflash/index.ssf/story/dave-hyde-heats-haslem-tells-a-story-that-puts-lins-run-with-knicks-in-context/775e09dd4cb218fa64bbe0f11f3b8ca5
[/h2][h2]
[/h2][h2]Dave Hyde: Heat's Haslem tells a story that puts Lin's run with Knicks in context[/h2]
Feb. 22, 2012, 8:36 p.m. CST

McClatchy/Tribune - MCT Information Services

MIAMI _  But that's not the story Haslem wants to talk about. That day didn't even have an effect on Dallas. It didn't keep Lin for training camp.

No other team did, either.

Lin spent a while in the minor leagues before signing with Golden State, but was released. Ditto with Houston. He then signed with the Knicks and sat at the end of the bench.

In late January, he played in just one game during a seven-game stretch. That appearance was the definition of garbage time: The final six minutes of a 33-point win against Charlotte.

That's when the Knicks came to AmericanAirlines Arena on Jan. 27th. This is where Haslem tells his story.

"Before each game, I go to chapel," Haslem said.

It is held an hour before tip-off in a small room between the two teams' locker rooms. A handful of players attend. A pastor oversees it and typically asks the players if there's anything they want to pray for.

Often, players talk of health or loved ones or maybe a friend going through a tough time. Haslem has been attending these chapels for eight NBA seasons and has heard it all.

Until this one.

Lin did something Haslem never heard before.

"Can you pray I don't get cut?" Lin told the pastor and other players.

This wasn't a joke or a passing thought. Lin already was cut twice, after all. He felt he was at the end again.

Haslem never had played against Lin, never talked with him, never even seen him before this chapel. But he looked at him that night and immediately appreciated his story.

Haslem knows what it's like to go undrafted, to be not wanted by any team and forge a career through hard work and self-belief.

"I understood where he was coming from," Haslem said.

The pastor prayed for Lin that night. Haslem did, too. Then Lin went out and did what he usually did. He didn't play in the Heat's win.

"But a week later it was da-da-da," Haslem says, giving the ESPN SportsCenter entry noise.

Lin scored 25 against the Nets. He then had 38 against the Lakers. And hit a game-winner against Toronto.

He kept the improbable on the court by leading the Knicks to victory and the impossible off it by making them a lovable team for the first time in decades.

Now he's a known story. Something called the Harvard Sports Collective Analysis compared his effect on ticket prices to Tim Tebow's effect (Lin has made a greater effect). There's a movement for him to play for China in the Olympics.

Haslem will go to chapel again before Thursday's game. He expects Lin will be there, too. Maybe they'll trade hellos. Maybe not.

But Haslem is sure one thing has changed in 27 days since they last sat there.
"I don't think he'll be praying not to get cut," he says

Looks like he might have to hit the chapel again.
laugh.gif
Scrub.

Originally Posted by dyyhard

[h2]http://www.nola.com/newsflash/index.ssf/story/dave-hyde-heats-haslem-tells-a-story-that-puts-lins-run-with-knicks-in-context/775e09dd4cb218fa64bbe0f11f3b8ca5
[/h2][h2]
[/h2][h2]Dave Hyde: Heat's Haslem tells a story that puts Lin's run with Knicks in context[/h2]
Feb. 22, 2012, 8:36 p.m. CST

McClatchy/Tribune - MCT Information Services

MIAMI _  But that's not the story Haslem wants to talk about. That day didn't even have an effect on Dallas. It didn't keep Lin for training camp.

No other team did, either.

Lin spent a while in the minor leagues before signing with Golden State, but was released. Ditto with Houston. He then signed with the Knicks and sat at the end of the bench.

In late January, he played in just one game during a seven-game stretch. That appearance was the definition of garbage time: The final six minutes of a 33-point win against Charlotte.

That's when the Knicks came to AmericanAirlines Arena on Jan. 27th. This is where Haslem tells his story.

"Before each game, I go to chapel," Haslem said.

It is held an hour before tip-off in a small room between the two teams' locker rooms. A handful of players attend. A pastor oversees it and typically asks the players if there's anything they want to pray for.

Often, players talk of health or loved ones or maybe a friend going through a tough time. Haslem has been attending these chapels for eight NBA seasons and has heard it all.

Until this one.

Lin did something Haslem never heard before.

"Can you pray I don't get cut?" Lin told the pastor and other players.

This wasn't a joke or a passing thought. Lin already was cut twice, after all. He felt he was at the end again.

Haslem never had played against Lin, never talked with him, never even seen him before this chapel. But he looked at him that night and immediately appreciated his story.

Haslem knows what it's like to go undrafted, to be not wanted by any team and forge a career through hard work and self-belief.

"I understood where he was coming from," Haslem said.

The pastor prayed for Lin that night. Haslem did, too. Then Lin went out and did what he usually did. He didn't play in the Heat's win.

"But a week later it was da-da-da," Haslem says, giving the ESPN SportsCenter entry noise.

Lin scored 25 against the Nets. He then had 38 against the Lakers. And hit a game-winner against Toronto.

He kept the improbable on the court by leading the Knicks to victory and the impossible off it by making them a lovable team for the first time in decades.

Now he's a known story. Something called the Harvard Sports Collective Analysis compared his effect on ticket prices to Tim Tebow's effect (Lin has made a greater effect). There's a movement for him to play for China in the Olympics.

Haslem will go to chapel again before Thursday's game. He expects Lin will be there, too. Maybe they'll trade hellos. Maybe not.

But Haslem is sure one thing has changed in 27 days since they last sat there.
"I don't think he'll be praying not to get cut," he says

Looks like he might have to hit the chapel again.
laugh.gif
Scrub.

Two things I don't like about Lin's game and feels he needs to fix/stop/improve on is how he holds/dribbles the ball for so long (similar to how Melo use to) stagnating the defense before making a decision which is usually the pnr, I mean it's one thing to lull your defender/the defense before making a move and it's another thing to run the shot clock down until there's 7 seconds left and the other thing is how he splits the double with that stretched out dribble which is basically begging for someone to steal it when he has to catch up to it, it's basically a loose ball and apart of why he has so many turnovers.

Two things I don't like about Lin's game and feels he needs to fix/stop/improve on is how he holds/dribbles the ball for so long (similar to how Melo use to) stagnating the defense before making a decision which is usually the pnr, I mean it's one thing to lull your defender/the defense before making a move and it's another thing to run the shot clock down until there's 7 seconds left and the other thing is how he splits the double with that stretched out dribble which is basically begging for someone to steal it when he has to catch up to it, it's basically a loose ball and apart of why he has so many turnovers.

Stephen A Smith is an idiot talks shhh about everyone, he had a rant about Lebron before. He would've got on his hairline if his didn't go further back than Lebron's. 

Stephen A Smith is an idiot talks shhh about everyone, he had a rant about Lebron before. He would've got on his hairline if his didn't go further back than Lebron's. 

Originally Posted by LDJ

Originally Posted by heirjordan15

Originally Posted by CoupeIt88

Wow, this story just gets deeper and deeper. Almost does bring a tear to my eye, makes me want to become a devout Catholic again.
Cool story. Srs.
But if this story makes you "want to become a devout catholic again" you're about as sane as Charlie Sheen after a night in the Gentleman's Club.  Check yourself, Bro.

i didnt wanna say nuttin to be seen as a hater..
. but i swore one of the sins is not to pray for yourself and for thing like this... like i hope i make this shot, get this car etc... actually quite sacrilegious

Yeah...This. 
grin.gif

Originally Posted by LDJ

Originally Posted by CoupeIt88

Wow, this story just gets deeper and deeper. Almost does bring a tear to my eye, makes me want to become a devout Catholic again.
Cool story. Srs.
But if this story makes you "want to become a devout catholic again" you're about as sane as Charlie Sheen after a night in the Gentleman's Club.  Check yourself, Bro.

. but i swore one of the sins is not to pray for yourself and for thing like this... like i hope i make this shot, get this car etc... actually quite sacrilegious

Yeah...This. 
grin.gif

Originally Posted by sillyputty

Originally Posted by LDJ

Cool story. Srs.

Yeah...This. 
grin.gif

We not rockin with this in the Sports forum.....skidaddle

Originally Posted by sillyputty

Originally Posted by LDJ

Cool story. Srs.

Yeah...This. 
grin.gif

We not rockin with this in the Sports forum.....skidaddle

Originally Posted by freakydestroyer

how so .. lets see all what he said

He hasnt played a team who consistantly play defense.... So exactly how is this not true
Hes ineffective if forced to his left....... So what isnt true about that
If pressured he becomes flustered and makes easy mistakes..... How was this not true
Hes always been a high t.o. player..... How is this not true (btw he leads the league for the month in this catergory)
He hasnt played a team that has focused or played d on him consistantly throughout the game.... How is this not true
He still has trouble making decisions once he penetrates....How is this not true (btw thats where he gets most of his t.o. in which again he leads the league for the month)
If played close he tries to force the issue and miss opportunities... How is this wrong (how many times amare and melo and completely missed them)

I bet the only thing you agree with is he is their best option, and he makes the team better...

I love how ppl like to pick and choose the facts they wanna hear listen too.. I dont know what player you have been watching but everything he said was factual and can be proved by stats and gameplay....

End of the day he has had a set of good games against teams who either played him loose, didnt apply pressure on him, allowed to get what he wants, and teams that were bad or mediocre overall on team defense.

Do i think he sucks no... but i cant say he is great or even good untill i see him play good against someone good. Some of yall sound like the dudes who go to the gym and go to the side of the court where the sorry mediocre players are and start balling, cause you know if you went to the side of the gym where the real ballers at would get str8 exposed.

Originally Posted by freakydestroyer

how so .. lets see all what he said

He hasnt played a team who consistantly play defense.... So exactly how is this not true
Hes ineffective if forced to his left....... So what isnt true about that
If pressured he becomes flustered and makes easy mistakes..... How was this not true
Hes always been a high t.o. player..... How is this not true (btw he leads the league for the month in this catergory)
He hasnt played a team that has focused or played d on him consistantly throughout the game.... How is this not true
He still has trouble making decisions once he penetrates....How is this not true (btw thats where he gets most of his t.o. in which again he leads the league for the month)
If played close he tries to force the issue and miss opportunities... How is this wrong (how many times amare and melo and completely missed them)

I bet the only thing you agree with is he is their best option, and he makes the team better...

I love how ppl like to pick and choose the facts they wanna hear listen too.. I dont know what player you have been watching but everything he said was factual and can be proved by stats and gameplay....

End of the day he has had a set of good games against teams who either played him loose, didnt apply pressure on him, allowed to get what he wants, and teams that were bad or mediocre overall on team defense.

Do i think he sucks no... but i cant say he is great or even good untill i see him play good against someone good. Some of yall sound like the dudes who go to the gym and go to the side of the court where the sorry mediocre players are and start balling, cause you know if you went to the side of the gym where the real ballers at would get str8 exposed.

Looks like he ran into a pothole tonight. 
But then again, Miami is the best team in the league... 

Back
Top Bottom