**Official Kendrick Lamar Thread 4th Studio Album ''DAMN.''Out Now**

From what I heard, no bonus songs for Target, Best Buy or iTunes. No deluxe edition either, just the straight standard edition.
Came in here to seek a final answer on any news of a deluxe edition. I guess it looks like it's safe to cop right now.

I'm gonna be salty as **** if we find out otherwise though.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Just picked up my physical copy from Best Buy. They didn't even have it on the shelf and dude said a few people came looking for it too. :smh: He had to go look for it in the back. I guess the surprise release date threw them off.

Anyway, I hope y'all are breaking bread with the dude. This is worth the $

View media item 1455676

EDIT: "Lucy" = Lucifer. Prolly been answered already tho. Haven't read every page.

Last edited:
i really like the direction kendrick went with on this album... the jazz & funk vibe is very appreciated. back when i first heard i & his track never catch me with flying lotus, i was hoping he would make an album with that kind of vibe to it & he really delivered.

other thoughts on the album:

-terrace martin & thundercat flourished on this album... their presence is felt throughout the entire project
-wesley's theory was such a great way to start this album off... can't believe he got george clinton on a track
-i was a little skeptical about having snoop as a feature... but he was perfect on institutionalized
-u :wow: such a heartfelt track... you can really feel the emotions he put into that song
-alright is so cold :pimp: that hook, those horns, everything :pimp:
-the production on momma :nthat: knxwledge snapped
-the story telling on how much a dollar cost was incredible... another classic feature with ronald isley too
-the blacker the berry KNOCKS
-it was cool that they went with a live version of i for the album
-he couldn't have ended the album any better with mortal man :pimp:

I just want to see him perform this album in a small setting with a live band just like Jay did with American Gangster.

How does Hood Politics fit within the narrative?

to me, it kinda fits as a two part story of him coming home..first with momma and then Hood Politics with his friends and the streets of Compton.

The phone convo to start paints how some might view him since his fame and him leaving Compton..but he knows these streets better than anybody..he illustrates the environment he grew up in and the cold reality of it while tying into it.

This song and Momma is the point in Kendrick's story where becomes grounded back into his original roots after kinda feeling lost and scared he was veering off the wrong path ...imo

For the politics side, there's three examples he shows in this song...the code of the streets, the hipocrisy of the Gov't in comparison to gang culture and the hipocrisy of media within the music industry in relation to hip hop

How does Hood Politics fit within the narrative?
My interpretation of Hood Politics is that after going "Home" to Africa in Momma, and hearing the boy's request to tell his homies to do the same, he tries to come back and preach to his homies about changing their ways. However, once he comes back he remembers the hood's "politics," and later relates how our government leaders operate the same way as gang leaders. He's satirizing the glorification of gang-banging in rap, and that self-conscious rap and those trying to uplift in the hood is rare. Thus, Kendrick comes to the conclusion that Hood Politics will forever govern the cocoon, unless a change is stirred up, starting with his music.

Got my hard copy today and this album is beautiful, not going to talk about each song but this album is nice. It's very different but I love it for what it is.

Very good album...very good. My favorite track is "How Much a Dollar Cost". Honestly, this is the type of album where my favorite will probably depend on how I'm feeling at the time.

Mortal man...reminds me of "It's your World" on be. 

Album closer like it.

Great like it.

Soulful like it.

And just like it, it has superfluous material on the end of it that I wish was its own separate track, or not there at all.

Last edited:
to me, it kinda fits as a two part story of him coming home..first with momma and then Hood Politics with his friends and the streets of Compton.

The phone convo to start paints how some might view him since his fame and him leaving Compton..but he knows these streets better than anybody..he illustrates the environment he grew up in and the cold reality of it while tying into it.

This song and Momma is the point in Kendrick's story where becomes grounded back into his original roots after kinda feeling lost and scared he was veering off the wrong path ...imo

For the politics side, there's three examples he shows in this song...the code of the streets, the hipocrisy of the Gov't in comparison to gang culture and the hipocrisy of media within the music industry in relation to hip hop

My interpretation of Hood Politics is that after going "Home" to Africa in Momma, and hearing the boy's request to tell his homies to do the same, he tries to come back and preach to his homies about changing their ways. However, once he comes back he remembers the hood's "politics," and later relates how our government leaders operate the same way as gang leaders. He's satirizing the glorification of gang-banging in rap, and that self-conscious rap and those trying to uplift in the hood is rare. Thus, Kendrick comes to the conclusion that Hood Politics will forever govern the cocoon, unless a change is stirred up, starting with his music.

Agreed with both of you on some points. I knew he was coming home from Africa to speak to his boys or whatever, I just couldn't put the rest together.

This is one of those albums where I have to play it from start to finish each time, I can't just bounce around. I'm loving Hood Politics tho, it's so west coast and reminds me of home, "boo boo" :lol: makes me think of the homies.

Got me yelling at my wife "Loving you is complicated, loving you is complicated. :lol: Got about 4 listens in but only while doing stuff at work so I couldn't really focus on the content like I want but to me it sounds like the whole album is a battle between himself and his demons and hypocrisy while wanting to be a beacon of hope and voice of reason, which I can definitely relate to.

GKMC was a coming of age album, and this one is a growth album; can't stress how much I love the vibe of this. I was concerned that it wouldn't live up to the hype of GKMC but it did.

This is tied with Stankonia as having the highest rating on metacritic for a rap album. It's listed 8th overall. Also, K dot is reportedly going to earn close to a mill from Spotify streams, but that's based on someone's calculations.

This is one of those albums where I have to play it from start to finish each time, I can't just bounce around. I'm loving Hood Politics tho, it's so west coast and reminds me of home, "boo boo" :lol: makes me think of the homies.

exactly how i feel.

This is tied with Stankonia as having the highest rating on metacritic for a rap album. It's listed 8th overall. Also, K dot is reportedly going to earn close to a mill from Spotify streams, but that's based on someone's calculations.

That's interesting. I told my girl yesterday I thought it had a Stankonia feel to it. I'm not sold on it yet after about three semi-focused listens. Need to hear it out a while longer.

Charging that because they know the hype is real and people will pay it. I'm not copping a CD for more than $10 unless it's a deluxe or double disc. I copped the Target Deluxe GKMC for $11.99 when it dropped. Interscope or Top Dawg know exactly what they're doing :smh:

And it's not about the $4, it's the principle.

Love this album :smokin

Been listening to it and only it for the last couple days, I get a new favorite song everyday

I don't think I'll ever like it more then GKMC or Section 80 but TPAB is it's own thing and I love it for that

Back
Top Bottom