OFFICIAL LOS ANGELES CLIPPERS 2023-2024 SEASON THREAD

[h1]59. J.J. Redick, SG, Clippers[/h1]
There’s no problem at all if J.J. Redick, 32, never has another season as good as his 2015–16 campaign. He was just that good last season, scoring 16.3 points, shooting a league-leading 47.5% from deep, posting a whopping 114 offensive rating per NBAWowy.com and dropping a career-high 17.5 Player Efficiency Rating. L.A. got by for long stretches of the season without All-Star forward Blake Griffin in large part because Redick was the most finely tuned version of his lethal catch-and-shoot self. Thanks to years of backcourt chemistry between Redick and Chris Paul, the Clippers boasted the NBA’s sixth-best offense even though Griffin, a 20/10 monster, barely played after Christmas. Although a vast majority of Redick’s offensive value requires his teammates’ involvement, via timely passes and diligent screens, he’s such a pure and practiced shooter that he could function effectively for virtually any coach and point guard who bothered to call his number repeatedly. What’s more, Redick should probably get a little more 3-and-D love than he does, given that the Clippers’ defensive rating slipped three points when he left the court last season and he grades out respectably by Synergy’s analysis. While Redick isn’t going to shatter any backboards or posterize many seven-footers, his precision offensive contributions, defensive effort and overall veteran stability were worthy of a good jump up SI’s Top 100 rankings this year. (Last year: No. 93)

+  His 596 points in catch-and-shoot situations ranked third in the NBA. His eye-popping 1.52 PPP in spot-up scenarios ranked in the 100th percentile, per Synergy Sports
+  His 47.5% three-point shooting last season was the second-best mark in NBA history for any player taking at least five attempts
 He’s averaged one block shot for every 384 minutes he’s played during his 10-year career
 Is this the last go-around in LA? He will be 33 when he hits free agency next July

20. DeAndre Jordan, C, Clippers

Every year, Jordan seems to clarify his understanding of when and how to use size to his advantage. It’s more difficult to bait him out of position now than it was a year ago—his bad tendencies whittled down through experience. Jordan will never be the picture of defensive discipline, but slowly he’s grown into the kind of consistent interior presence that can carry a contending-level defense. His influence begins with the fact that players prefer not to challenge him. Clippers opponents attempted 3.5 fewer shots at the rim per 36 minutes last season when Jordan played, according to Nylon Calculus—one of the widest margins in the league. Jordan’s liftoff is so quick and his reach so wide that he reshapes the thinking behind an otherwise ideal shot attempt. That’s power—especially now that Jordan is staying down more often and positioning himself more effectively. Jordan wouldn’t be ranked where he is on this list, though, if not for his offense. Anything more than a few dribbles veers outside his comfort zone. Jordan took just 46 shots (out of 508) last season outside the restricted area and four outside the paint, converting poorly on all of them. He doesn’t pass well and costs his team points whenever he’s fouled. What Jordan does do is dunk nearly every ball he touches within range of the basket, and work himself within that range with a dogged persistence. Uncanny athleticism gives Jordan more physical space to work with than nearly every other player he comes up against. An easy finish is so often only a lob pass away; being able to jump higher and run faster than nearly every other center in the league gives Jordan access to a different plane. Defenses have little choice but to treat his cuts and rolls as imminent threats. His gravity can pull three defenders out of position and thus out of their scheme without Jordan ever touching the ball. (Last year: No. 29)

+  Shot 83.6% off of paint touches last season—which doesn’t include those possessions in which opponents hopelessly fouled
+  One of the game’s most committed and prolific defensive rebounders
 Awful enough free throw shooter that he costs himself playing time
 Limited offensive range makes him very dependent on playmakers

^^^ Blake 10; CP 4. So, we have 3 players in the top 20 and 4 in the top 60. Off the top of my head, I would guess that GSW is the only other team that has that.

i think this is the year we put it together. SAS, OKC and i believe in some ways GSW have all taken a step back and all can be beaten by us. we just have to put it all together.

Health, and getting off to a strong start.

In the CP era, I think our average record is 56-26. However, we've lost on average like 8 out of those 26 within the first 16 games of the season, putting immense pressure on ourselves to rectify our season with long winning streaks and things like that. Can't be coming out the box 7-8. and **** like that. Our starts have doomed us to the 3 seed which has been a death trap for us. Hopefully roster continuity will allow us to get off to a strong start.

^^^ Blake 10; CP 4. So, we have 3 players in the top 20 and 4 in the top 60. Off the top of my head, I would guess that GSW is the only other team that has that.
Good stuff. Nice to see nationally, people realizing how great chris paul really is.

No tangible weaknesses to his game. He really has been spectacular these last two seasons. Two way player, 21 & 11 on 47/37/90 since xmas last season is just monster stuff.

Hoping though, that they play more through blake this year so that he can expand on his already great playmaking ability. 

When is Paul Pierce going to make up his ******* mind about playing this season?

laugh.gif

BTW, RIP to the Sports Arena. It was going there and watching the Clips - even when they were terrible - that made me a fan for life. It was decrepit and needed to go, but still. Some good memories from that building for me.

BTW, RIP to the Sports Arena. It was going there and watching the Clips - even when they were terrible - that made me a fan for life. It was decrepit and needed to go, but still. Some good memories from that building for me.

The reason I'm a Clipper fan. My mom worked there for 10+ years. Used to get free tickets to Disney on ice, Ringling bros., and most importantly, Clipper games. I remember being a huge Brent Barry fan and my mom coming home one night with an autographed hat. I remember my mom taking me and my bros to a game and then taking us to the team bus so i could get Pooh Richardson's autograph. Growing up I never realized how awful the team was. I thought Eric Piatkowski was a star. I thought Brent Barry was a megastar after he won the dunk contest. Good times :frown:

The reason I'm a Clipper fan. My mom worked there for 10+ years. Used to get free tickets to Disney on ice, Ringling bros., and most importantly, Clipper games. I remember being a huge Brent Barry fan and my mom coming home one night with an autographed hat. I remember my mom taking me and my bros to a game and then taking us to the team bus so i could get Pooh Richardson's autograph. Growing up I never realized how awful the team was. I thought Eric Piatkowski was a star. I thought Brent Barry was a megastar after he won the dunk contest. Good times
frown.gif
Damn, ****** mentioned Disney on Ice and the Ringling bros.

I for sure caught them at the Sports arena. First time going to the sports arena was for Disney on Ice and for the circus. Ahhh memories.

Also remember vividly catching city and state HS games all through my youth at the Sports Arena too. 

The Vertical ‏@TheVertical · 13m13 minutes ago

The incomparable @Matt_Barnes22 joins @JJRedick on @TheVertical Podcast.

Sacramento Kings guard Matt Barnes joins JJ Redick on the The Vertical Podcast. Barnes, a 13-year NBA veteran, talks with Redick about everything from fatherhood to his travels through the D-League to the NBA and how dramatically different he believes his on-court persona is from his everyday life. Barnes details his tumultuous relationship with former coach Mo Cheeks and how Don Nelson gave him an opportunity to square things with Cheeks while playing for the Golden State Warriors.

This should be another good one . . .

Yea I listened to ti this morning. That Mo cheeks story gets funnier every time :rofl:

Wish we would have brought him back

^^^ Yeah, I wouldn't have minded Matt coming back. He does provide a little edge/crazy that teams need that we don't really get from anyone else on the squad. Who knows though? Maybe Bass or Anderson or someone like that will be come our tough guy.

Yea I listened to ti this morning. That Mo cheeks story gets funnier every time :rofl:

Yeah. I like how Matt added this time that, "To this day, if I see him and he says something to me, Imma slap him in his face . . ." :lol:

But they got into a lot of heavy stuff too. Good listen all the way around.

Yea, I didn't wanna spoil it for you but that was the best part of the whole interview :rofl:

Also, I woke up one morning and randomly remembered the name of the donut shop. It':voodoo donuts in Portland. Unfortunately I'm not going to oregon tho [emoji]128546[/emoji]

Vegas set LAC at O/U 53.5 wins.

Puts them at 4th in the league behind the Dubs, the Cavs, and San Antonio.

Tbh that's pretty low. Clips have went 56/57/56 and with Blake missing 40 games, 53. Interesting nonetheless.

Vegas set LAC at O/U 53.5 wins.

Puts them at 4th in the league behind the Dubs, the Cavs, and San Antonio.

Tbh that's pretty low. Clips have went 56/57/56 and with Blake missing 40 games, 53. Interesting nonetheless.

Just saw that. I think it's a fair number. I think we'll come out at around 57/58, but 53 is a reasonable O/U number.

I hope CP3 staves off decline for another year. I said last year early in the season that I thought he was declining, but I was wrong. He still put up another elite season last year. Since LeBron is basically Teflon now, I need CP3 to win a chip to shut the NBA thread loudmouths up. Bron and CP3 winning chips in consecutive years would be a giant middle finger to a lot of the people I can't stand in there. I need the basketball gods to find some kind of way to get LAC past GSW.

Bracing for Redick to regress. He had a career year at 32.
pimp.gif
It's inevitable. He's had a career year for like 3 straight years now.

He will w/o a doubt regress this year. No way he'll make 48% on 3's on over 5 attempts per game. 

But, I think his gravity and impact can sustain for the foreseeable future.

Just saw that. I think it's a fair number. I think we'll come out at around 57/58, but 53 is a reasonable O/U number.
I don't think that's really all that fair bro.

It may be the clipper bias in me, but logic tells me that barring injury, 53 is extremely low. They've went 56/57/56 then 53 this past season with blake being out.

Now they may hit 53, or 51, but to project them as that is extremelyyyy conservative. I mean, they won 53 games last season w/o Blake for like 50 games.

Factor in continuity, the west at the top getting weaker while LAC didn't, and I see them pushing for 60 barring injury. That sounds incredibly optimistic but outside of GSW and kind of SAS, (still not on board with SAS) every game they play out west they'll be very winnable. The conditions out west appear to be a perfect storm of sorts for LAC, but we'll see.

I don't think that's really all that fair bro.

It may be the clipper bias in me, but logic tells me that barring injury, 53 is extremely low. They've went 56/57/56 then 53 this past season with blake being out.

Now they may hit 53, or 51, but to project them as that is extremelyyyy conservative. I mean, they won 53 games last season w/o Blake for like 50 games.

Factor in continuity, the west at the top getting weaker while LAC didn't, and I see them pushing for 60 barring injury. That sounds incredibly optimistic but outside of GSW and kind of SAS, (still not on board with SAS) every game they play out west they'll be very winnable. The conditions out west appear to be a perfect storm of sorts for LAC, but we'll see.

The bolded text is exactly why 53 is not extremely low. We've never been largely injury free in the CP3 era. I'm no expert, but I would guess that the Vegas odds makers factor in the probability that a key player/players will miss some time in making these kind of projections. Considering our history, its a factor that can legitimately be considered.

Back
Top Bottom