Official Los Angeles Dodgers Season Thread: NLCS vs Phillies

im wondering where JEFF KENT is in all this celebration? Prolly on his way home.
Jeff Kent was celebrating with everyone else, if you want proof, there is a pic of him with the bubbly on Dodgers.com photo gallery.

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

im wondering where JEFF KENT is in all this celebration? Prolly on his way home.
Jeff Kent was celebrating with everyone else, if you want proof, there is a pic of him with the bubbly on Dodgers.com photo gallery.

Yeah, Jeff was all smiles if you guys see the videos, and I saw the pic on Dodgers.com as well.
laugh.gif

Glad he's having a good time.

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Breaking down the NLCS[/h1] [h2]A look at how the Dodgers, Phils match up[/h2]
Dodgers at bat: Two recent changes have revitalized and renewed the Dodgers offense. Rafael Furcal's return from a back injury was an enormous boon in the NLDS, as Furcal reached base seven times and scored four runs. He combines with Russell Martin to create a textbook top of the lineup, with two on-base threats who can run. And of course Manny Ramirez has changed the look of the middle of the order, providing a dangerous bat in the three-spot. The Dodgers are a heavily right-handed-hitting team, which would seem to neutralize Phillies lefties Cole Hamels and Jamie Moyer -- except that the even more right-handed Brewers couldn't do anything against those two southpaws.
Phillies at bat: Conversely, the Phils feature some serious left-handed punch, while going up against a heavily right-handed staff. The Phillies are a power-and-patience team. They scored the third-most runs despite the 10th-best batting average, which tells you all you need to know about how they score. However, the Dodgers should counter that very well. They issued the second-fewest walks in the NL and allowed the fewest home runs. If any staff can contain the dangerous Phils, it may be this one.

Key late-game matchups:

JC Romero vs. James Loney and Andre Ethier: Romero obliterates lefties, who went 10-for-98 (.102) against him this year. But right-handers return the favor against him. That means that as long as manager Joe Torre puts Loney and Ethier back-to-back in the No. 4 and 5 spots, Philadelphia holds a tactical advantage. Loney and Ethier both have significant platoon splits of their own. So as a regular occurrence, you may see Philadelphia pitching around Manny Ramirez and bringing in the lefty to pitch to the two lefty hitters. This changes significantly if Torre decides to put Matt Kemp in the five spot between Loney and Ethier.

Joe Beimel vs. Chase Utley and Ryan Howard: As Morrissey sang, stop me if you think that you've heard this one before. Beimel's left-right split vanished this year, but over the years, he's been a lefty-killer, and Torre uses him tactically. It's not exactly the same as Romero against the Dodgers, because Utley's platoon split is small and getting smaller. But Howard is a completely different hitter against left-handers. The other similarity is that the Phils do have a right-hander, Pat Burrell, whom they could put between the two lefties, but they choose not to.

Secret weapon: The Division Series revealed that the Dodgers don't seem to have much faith in Takashi Saito, which shortens their bullpen quite a bit. Jonathan Broxton looks like the man at the end of the game, increasing the spotlight on rookie Cory Wade. The right-hander pitched in all three games of the Division Series, and you can expect he'll be asked to get a few outs pretty much every time the Dodgers have a lead in the seventh and eighth.

Achilles' heel: The top of the Dodgers' order is outstanding and it's going well. But the bottom half can be pitched to. Kemp and Ethier slumped in the Division Series, and even Loney, though he drove in six runs, was just 3-for-14. Casey Blake is certainly dangerous for a No. 8 hitter, but the Dodgers still need to get more from their 4-8 spots to win. If the Phils make their pitches, they have a good chance to keep those hitters relatively quiet.

The Dodgers will win if... they keep doing what they've been doing. Starters Derek Lowe, Chad Billingsley and Hiroki Kuroda have to throw strikes and keep the ball in the park, both of which they did against Chicago. Offensively, the Dodgers need to keep getting Furcal and Martin on base, allowing Ramirez and the rest of the middle of the order to do damage.
The Phillies will win if... they hit the ball out of the yard and can match up with their starting pitching. Hamels is probably the best starter in the series, but the next-best two or three starters are Dodgers. Brett Myers needs to show the same form he's shown since August, allowing them to go toe-to-toe with Billingsley.

Originally Posted by bright nikes

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Breaking down the NLCS[/h1] [h2]A look at how the Dodgers, Phils match up[/h2]
Dodgers at bat: Two recent changes have revitalized and renewed the Dodgers offense. Rafael Furcal's return from a back injury was an enormous boon in the NLDS, as Furcal reached base seven times and scored four runs. He combines with Russell Martin to create a textbook top of the lineup, with two on-base threats who can run. And of course Manny Ramirez has changed the look of the middle of the order, providing a dangerous bat in the three-spot. The Dodgers are a heavily right-handed-hitting team, which would seem to neutralize Phillies lefties Cole Hamels and Jamie Moyer -- except that the even more right-handed Brewers couldn't do anything against those two southpaws.
Phillies at bat: Conversely, the Phils feature some serious left-handed punch, while going up against a heavily right-handed staff. The Phillies are a power-and-patience team. They scored the third-most runs despite the 10th-best batting average, which tells you all you need to know about how they score. However, the Dodgers should counter that very well. They issued the second-fewest walks in the NL and allowed the fewest home runs. If any staff can contain the dangerous Phils, it may be this one.

Key late-game matchups:

JC Romero vs. James Loney and Andre Ethier: Romero obliterates lefties, who went 10-for-98 (.102) against him this year. But right-handers return the favor against him. That means that as long as manager Joe Torre puts Loney and Ethier back-to-back in the No. 4 and 5 spots, Philadelphia holds a tactical advantage. Loney and Ethier both have significant platoon splits of their own. So as a regular occurrence, you may see Philadelphia pitching around Manny Ramirez and bringing in the lefty to pitch to the two lefty hitters. This changes significantly if Torre decides to put Matt Kemp in the five spot between Loney and Ethier.

Joe Beimel vs. Chase Utley and Ryan Howard: As Morrissey sang, stop me if you think that you've heard this one before. Beimel's left-right split vanished this year, but over the years, he's been a lefty-killer, and Torre uses him tactically. It's not exactly the same as Romero against the Dodgers, because Utley's platoon split is small and getting smaller. But Howard is a completely different hitter against left-handers. The other similarity is that the Phils do have a right-hander, Pat Burrell, whom they could put between the two lefties, but they choose not to.

Secret weapon: The Division Series revealed that the Dodgers don't seem to have much faith in Takashi Saito, which shortens their bullpen quite a bit. Jonathan Broxton looks like the man at the end of the game, increasing the spotlight on rookie Cory Wade. The right-hander pitched in all three games of the Division Series, and you can expect he'll be asked to get a few outs pretty much every time the Dodgers have a lead in the seventh and eighth.

Achilles' heel: The top of the Dodgers' order is outstanding and it's going well. But the bottom half can be pitched to. Kemp and Ethier slumped in the Division Series, and even Loney, though he drove in six runs, was just 3-for-14. Casey Blake is certainly dangerous for a No. 8 hitter, but the Dodgers still need to get more from their 4-8 spots to win. If the Phils make their pitches, they have a good chance to keep those hitters relatively quiet.

The Dodgers will win if... they keep doing what they've been doing. Starters Derek Lowe, Chad Billingsley and Hiroki Kuroda have to throw strikes and keep the ball in the park, both of which they did against Chicago. Offensively, the Dodgers need to keep getting Furcal and Martin on base, allowing Ramirez and the rest of the middle of the order to do damage.
The Phillies will win if... they hit the ball out of the yard and can match up with their starting pitching. Hamels is probably the best starter in the series, but the next-best two or three starters are Dodgers. Brett Myers needs to show the same form he's shown since August, allowing them to go toe-to-toe with Billingsley.

man this is gonna be a tough series...i see it going to 6 games...its such a toss up though...Lets hope the dodger bLue can overcome it and get to theseries since '88
pimp.gif

Can we get a rollcall for Sunday?

Anybody going to 3 and 4?

I'll be in RF for both.

Also, does ANYBODY know if I have to go to a ticketmaster office to get my money back into my account for my unused game4 tickets or do they automatically putit in the account?

Ill be there sunday and monday. Left field pavillion
I got an email from ticketmaster today saying money will be refunded except the $4.10 tm processing fee but it'll take 7-10 days.
I'm trying to get a shirt from blue cape if he goes to the game. Blue cape....give us a special NT price

I'll be there game 3, game 4, and game 5.

Sunday I will be in right field section 306 row G, aisle.

Monday Left Field Pavilion, Row O

Weds. back in the Right Field pavilion.

[h1]http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/10/manny-looking-f.html[/h1]
[h1]Manny Looking For Five Years, $85 Million?[/h1]
By Tim Dierkes [October 6, 2008 at 11:10pm CST]

From Tracy Ringolsby of the Rocky Mountain News:

Agent Scott Boras has let it be known through his media outlets that the expectation is for at least five years and $85 million in a deal for Manny Ramirez.

Back on deadline day, Peter Gammons suggested Manny was seeking four years and $100MM. So it seems that Ramirez's contract may be $17-25MM annually for four or five years (he will be 37 in May). Personally I think he's more likely to get offers in the three year/$65MM range, though one team will bite the bullet and do four years. Your thoughts?

Ringolsby goes on to say that the Dodgers don't see Manny as a long-term fit given the five-year demand.

I think 4 years $80 million is a good deal. If he wants 5 years at $85 million, I would do that deal. It would drop the annual salary, and you get to keepManny around for an extra year. I think he just wants security, I don't think he needs money.

Boras and Manny had a heavy convo at the Stadium yesterday.

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

I think 4 years $80 million is a good deal. If he wants 5 years at $85 million, I would do that deal. It would drop the annual salary, and you get to keep Manny around for an extra year. I think he just wants security, I don't think he needs money.

Boras and Manny had a heavy convo at the Stadium yesterday.
frown.gif

I hope we can get him for 3-4 max. I have a feeling he's gonna be feeling pinstripes though.

I got an extra reserve ticket for Sunday's game, $100 even. Hit me up if you're interested.

if we win the chip this year.. do you think mccourt would let him walk? i mean jeez, how much money the been making with him on the roster? seats are full, youcan bet they are gonna go up next year...(thats why i locked in my season ticket top deck seats for 332.00 a seat for the season) and people will go to thegames to see him play. it would be terrible to see him go. the dodgers need a star player.. and when you need a star player that produces, you pay for him.

im sick of the east coast getting all the names.. screw the yanks and the socks..

i really hope we win it so Manny does not leave us. We will have to pay to see him but he fans love him so much why would he want to leave, everytime he comesto the bag he is cheered on by fans.

Originally Posted by neil likes poker

i really hope we win it so Manny does not leave us. We will have to pay to see him but he fans love him so much why would he want to leave, everytime he comes to the bag he is cheered on by fans.
lol dude he will get anywhere he goes thats a subpar team...
just pay this man... i dont know how Mccourt could let this guy go... he deserves every bit of that money ..

Originally Posted by eyegiantjackpot

if we win the chip this year.. do you think mccourt would let him walk? i mean jeez, how much money the been making with him on the roster? seats are full, you can bet they are gonna go up next year...(thats why i locked in my season ticket top deck seats for 332.00 a seat for the season) and people will go to the games to see him play. it would be terrible to see him go. the dodgers need a star player.. and when you need a star player that produces, you pay for him.

im sick of the east coast getting all the names.. screw the yanks and the socks..

eyegiant, maybe you can help me out dude. i'm REALLY interested in purchasing season tickets, but on the dodger site all that I see on there is aticketmaster page for deposits. I want to know how much a ticket wouold be in each specific level, do you have a link or maybe something you can paste here?Thanks dude

if we win the chip this year.. do you think mccourt would let him walk? i mean jeez, how much money the been making with him on the roster? seats are full, you can bet they are gonna go up next year...(thats why i locked in my season ticket top deck seats for 332.00 a seat for the season) and people will go to the games to see him play. it would be terrible to see him go. the dodgers need a star player.. and when you need a star player that produces, you pay for him.

thats it? more info please

Originally Posted by Mr Jordan04

thats it? more info please

nerd.gif

Back
Top Bottom