**Official Lupe Fiasco Thread** (LASERS March 8, 2011 // Friend of The People Coming Soon)

Downloaded it....and its :smokin :smokin so far (7 songs in)....gonna buy it on iTunes tomorrow too, honestly this album and good kid in a m.A.A.d city are gonna be the only albums I'm gonna buy in the foreseeable future...such a breath of fresh air compared to Lasers, much less poppy and he still delivers lyrically (though I don't agree with some of his tangents its still excellent) :smokin
Ehhh you're only 7 songs in :\ The poppy songs got thrown in near the end, for the most part. At least Lupe's still keeping the verses his, even if the hooks have to be corporate-produced ****. All in all, after a couple listens, this is easily his 3rd best album. By a good amount. But it's enjoyable and I'm buying it to support one of the best artists this past decade or so.

Heres the thing that got me with Lupe and this album(Maybe I'm just nitpicking just because). But, all his other albums sound good, imo, because the sound is unusual in a sense. It isn't mainstream, it's ... peculiar if you will and really good. Son should of stuck with Soundtrakk to handle most of the production like he did on F&L and The Cool. That's Lupe's sound. Wouldn't say, it's his signature, but those peculiar beats compliment Lupe greatly. I mean, Strange Fruition is one of the best beats on the whole damn album, and who produced it? Soundtrack. It's cool to go for a change, but eh...

Completely agree MTK, that's why I put this at a distant #3. Lyrics are still Lu, just more straight forward. But then the music... while the beats are good, save a few of the radio songs, they arent what I was expecting Lupe to rap over. Not that it affects how much I enjoy the album, it's just... not as good as it could have been I guess.

Downloaded it....and its :smokin :smokin so far (7 songs in)....gonna buy it on iTunes tomorrow too, honestly this album and good kid in a m.A.A.d city are gonna be the only albums I'm gonna buy in the foreseeable future...such a breath of fresh air compared to Lasers, much less poppy and he still delivers lyrically (though I don't agree with some of his tangents its still excellent) :smokin
Ehhh you're only 7 songs in :\ The poppy songs got thrown in near the end, for the most part. At least Lupe's still keeping the verses his, even if the hooks have to be corporate-produced ****. All in all, after a couple listens, this is easily his 3rd best album. By a good amount. But it's enjoyable and I'm buying it to support one of the best artists this past decade or so.

|I definitely see what you mean when I finished the rest this morning :lol: I swear Atlantic just forced those songs upon him (I hope) but my favorite part about Lupe is the lyricism and crazy wordplay but you're right for sure this is his 3rd best album....I'm just glad its not like Lasers, I had to actually delete quite a few tracks from that album :smh:. Hopefully he's not done and his next album (or is it the one after when he's through with Atlantic) will be back to the original FNL level :smokin :smokin I'd say FNL2 a solid 7.5/10 though, gotta give it a few more listens though...breaking down his lyrics is kinda fun

He has one album left on his contract thank God
F&L 2 was a big step up from Lasers
Aside from a few tracks I couldn't listen to that album more than once

gonna pick up the album later today. fist 7 tracks fire laser in the middle (tracks 8-11). i liked brave heart the 2nd pooh bear track. then back at it to finish the album.

Ok I just copped the album this morning so I'm gonna share my thoughts so far. All I wanna say is that Lupe fell way off production wise. The beats on F&L2 are just weak to me. Not saying that he fell off as a rapper tho cause the lyrics are still there, but the beats just sound generic. I think Lupe sounds the best when Soundtrakk is on the beat and I would rather him make another album with Soundtrakk doing the majority of the production (like F&L and The Cool). And btw it just so happens that the one cut on this album that was produced by Soundtrakk is my favorite so far (Strange Fruitation). I can honesty say that Lasers is better than F&L2 as far as production goes. I know Soundtrakk didn't do much on that album either, but it at least had a good number of standout tracks. I really dont think Lasers was a bad album. If you took away Out Of My Head, I Don't Wanna Care Right Now and Coming Up, Lasers woulda been a solid effort. But I'm gonna do ahead and give this album another spin and perhaps share more thoughts about it later.

He has one album left on his contract thank God
F&L 2 was a big step up from Lasers
Aside from a few tracks I couldn't listen to that album more than once

he has 2 albums left.

next album will be part 2 of this album and i forgot what hes gunna call his last album

Last edited:
Ok I just copped the album this morning so I'm gonna share my thoughts so far. All I wanna say is that Lupe fell way off production wise. The beats on F&L2 are just weak to me. Not saying that he fell off as a rapper tho cause the lyrics are still there, but the beats just sound generic. I think Lupe sounds the best when Soundtrakk is on the beat and I would rather him make another album with Soundtrakk doing the majority of the production (like F&L and The Cool). And btw it just so happens that the one cut on this album that was produced by Soundtrakk is my favorite so far (Strange Fruitation). I can honesty say that Lasers is better than F&L2 as far as production goes. I know Soundtrakk didn't do much on that album either, but it at least had a good number of standout tracks. I really dont think Lasers was a bad album. If you took away Out Of My Head, I Don't Wanna Care Right Now and Coming Up, Lasers woulda been a solid effort. But I'm gonna do ahead and give this album another spin and perhaps share more thoughts about it later.

I have to disagree with your opinion about FL2's production. I think most of the songs are well-produced on their own, with a few exceptions. My only gripe is how they're sequenced. "***** Bad" just sounds way out of place musically, even though lyrically it fits perfectly. The love songs shift the album to pop territory for a stretch. Some songs just don't work back to back because they kinda jump from one style of beat to another and I think it could've flowed better if he had placed them elsewhere.

Lasers was also a well-produced album and might have even had better standouts than FL2, but it suffered from this problem worse than FL2. You have high-quality, Lupe-style tracks like All Black Everything, Till I Get There, Letting Go, then you have high-quality tracks that are the complete opposite of his style... then of course the downright bad ones like Outta My Head to screw everything up.

Last edited:
laugh.gif
at everything about the album being black. Even the inside cover, every page was just black
i looked through the booklet and started laughing..

you have to open the cd tray to see all of the credits.. i like that.

Last edited:
He supposedly gonna drop part two after Christmas, he wanted to make it a double disco and drop it after Christmas but Atlantic wasn't having it. He also has said that he is saving most of the beats and songs from soundtrack for his last album "skulls" cause he wants to leave Atlantic with a bang and just fade into the sunset....

Battle Scars is surprisingly really good. Heard it was really radio friendly so I wrote it off before even listening to it.

my opinion is that while it does have more of a pop influence than i prefer.. he's still talking about something..

lasers, if my memory serves me correctly was pop but he also wasn't speaking on anything of any importance.. it was just bad

Album is very solid an 8.5/10 after the first listen. He should have keep the vibe from the first 7 tracks going throughout the enitre album

my opinion is that while it does have more of a pop influence than i prefer.. he's still talking about something..

lasers, if my memory serves me correctly was pop but he also wasn't speaking on anything of any importance.. it was just bad

Listen to it again...he certainly was speaking on the same **** he always speaks on. It was just trash.

This isn't much better to me.

Agreed there is substance on this album.

I also agree with the person who stated Form Follows Function was a bit overhyped. Its a good song but not lyrically amazing from Lupe like lets say "Lightwork" was.

bruh u obviously have something wrong with you if u think lasers even comes close to this.
the first couple tracks alone make it better than lasers

I haven't even heard the album yet my man. I was asking based on the responses I read on here.

Easy.

dam i got reading comprehension issues then :lol:

anyways after listening to it a couple times i like mostly just the first half and after that it starts to dwindle.

Back
Top Bottom