Official Mitchell and Ness Thread: Jerseys, Hats, Shirts, Shorts, Questions POST EM UP

New pickup: 1964 Jimmy Wynn Houston Colt .45s Mitchell & Ness flannel, size 48 (XL).

HoustonColt45MN1.jpeg
HoustonColt45MN2.jpeg

Yes NBA authentic stuff was available in the '90s, but it was limited because jerseys didn't become popular until early 2000s. And not many websites carried them that time.

I recall the authentic NBA shorts for retail always had the brand logo on the front whereas the game issued ones didn't.

Like I said before, none of us are getting true authentic unless it's a worn in a game by a player or team issued to a player with his size and cut. It's been known that we're all getting imitation pieces realistically even if it's authentic.

I'm just committing to my principle to always have quality regardless.

Yes I know how licensing works with M & N. But they're my only choice for those types of jerseys because they make sizes I can wear now whereas the '90s Champion stuff had limited size availability. I ain't going to eBay to buy that '90s stuff secondhand that won't fit me at higher than original price from price gougers. And some of those authentic '90s jerseys had discrepancies with fonts sizes and number and letter placements.

I agree it's bad that M & N is marking up $200 for reproductions that are outsourced. I think authentic Champion was $100 apiece in the '90s.

Feel free to throw in the towel.

Authentic Jerseys and shorts weren’t popular in the 90’s? Just because you weren’t buying them yet doesn’t negate their popularity.

Websites in the 90’s weren’t stocking them? Websites in the 90’s weren’t stocking anything. It was all brick and mortar. I bought my ‘93 Bulls authentic shorts from a physical store because the online option wasn’t an option.

Your game worn vs. authentics argument is just silly and is counterproductive to your M&N authentic argument. Be specific. Are you talking about owning game worn shorts or straight authentic shorts? One was available at retail with the manufacturers logo, while the other wasn’t. If you’re all about game worn, please give up your “authentic vs swingman” argument.

Last edited:

Authentic Jerseys and shorts weren’t popular in the 90’s? Just because you weren’t buying them yet doesn’t negate their popularity.

Websites in the 90’s weren’t stocking them? Websites in the 90’s weren’t stocking anything. It was all brick and mortar. I bought my ‘93 Bulls authentic shorts from a physical store because the online option wasn’t an option.

Your game worn vs. authentics argument is just silly and is counterproductive to your M&N authentic argument. Be specific. Are you talking about owning game worn shorts or straight authentic shorts? One was available at retail with the manufacturers logo, while the other wasn’t. If you’re all about game worn, please give up your “authentic vs swingman” argument.

Lots of this! It wasn't that they weren't popular or people weren't wearing them, it was more about people not necessarily knowing where to find them. My friends and I got most of ours out of catalogs, where we had to call and give them mom's CC info, then swear to pay her back. Got a handful of my Nike authentic shorts at one of the bigger Champs locations in the Cincy area. They stocked both NCAA and NBA. I wish I could remember the name of the catalog I got the majority of my Champion authentics from. That's gonna drive me nuts til I figure it out. :lol: :angry:

EDIT: It was 800-Pro-Team, which eventually became Star Struck. They used to have all the official minor league hats there too!

Yea the rockets had their own store in memorial city mall in the 90s. That’s where my grandmother got me and authentic Olajuwon Road pinstripe for xmas one year. Grabbed an authentic home barkley as well as authentic shooting shirt from their as well. Was the main spot in Houston to get rocket authentics.

You were the one who came at me with a lot of different aspects and I replied accordingly in civil ways. My experiences differed from yours about retail in the past. I did mention some authentic stuff was available on a limited basis in a few stores back then.

You've reiterated multiple times what I have isn't a true authentic when it's common knowledge that we own reproductions of good quality. Your stuff from the '90s you're proud of owning isn't a true authentic either just because you got them that time. Anything that ends up in retail is never a true authentic. It's only a true authentic if they were worn by an actual player and cut to their specs with better materials.

You initiated an asinine debate with me with other elements because you don't like my perspective on swingman. I admit I have given scathing feedback about them which a lot of people don't like. How was I being hypocritical about having an affinity for authentic predicated on quality and having disdain for swingman with poor quality? You just put words in my mouth when I never proclaimed my stuff was what the players wore. You never understood my choices were only rooted in quality preference or didn't want to.

Lots of this! It wasn't that they weren't popular or people weren't wearing them, it was more about people not necessarily knowing where to find them. My friends and I got most of ours out of catalogs, where we had to call and give them mom's CC info, then swear to pay her back. Got a handful of my Nike authentic shorts at one of the bigger Champs locations in the Cincy area. They stocked both NCAA and NBA. I wish I could remember the name of the catalog I got the majority of my Champion authentics from. That's gonna drive me nuts til I figure it out. :lol: :angry:

EDIT: It was 800-Pro-Team, which eventually became Star Struck. They used to have all the official minor league hats there too!

Thanks for reminding me about the catalog days. Now I recall they did sell some authentic stuff in them. Ordering has dramatically transitioned so much from catalogs to websites.

I live in Brooklyn .... there was a spot in Kings plaza that had replicas and authenticate in the 90s I was only going to get replicas and I was satisfied with that

nba store opened and they had a section for most teams down stairs and had the throwbacks up stairs in the back ....
an interesting time .....

I live in Brooklyn .... there was a spot in Kings plaza that had replicas and authenticate in the 90s I was only going to get replicas and I was satisfied with that

nba store opened and they had a section for most teams down stairs and had the throwbacks up stairs in the back ....
an interesting time .....

The flagship NBA store on 5th ave was amazing.

M&N Bulls Shorts red restock in both Authentic and Swingman. NJ Nets 1990 Swingman Shorts all sizes new release.

Last edited:

You literally just described how unpopular they were. Stores did not carry authentics because demand was very low to almost non-existent. $40 Champion replicas were popular and probably the limit of what the majority would buy. That's why you could go to your local Foot Locker or Sports Authority and buy it yet almost never see an authentic in any store at the mall. Of course there were die-hards that sought authentics, but there's no way that number was anywhere near the number that are willing to pay high prices for authentics and Mitchell and Ness nowadays.

You literally just described how unpopular they were. Stores did not carry authentics because demand was very low to almost non-existent. $40 Champion replicas were popular and probably the limit of what the majority would buy. That's why you could go to your local Foot Locker or Sports Authority and buy it yet almost never see an authentic in any store at the mall. Of course there were die-hards that sought authentics, but there's no way that number was anywhere near the number that are willing to pay high prices for authentics and Mitchell and Ness nowadays.

So Air Force 1's weren't popular in the 90's because only certain stores carried them and they were hard to find? And they only became popular when every Foot Locker in the nation started stocking all whites and all blacks? Because that's your argument right now.

Back
Top Bottom