Official Mitchell and Ness Thread: Jerseys, Hats, Shirts, Shorts, Questions POST EM UP

YELLOW! way better

Really tough, but I’d say go with yellow

Both dope but I’d go with the yellow

You can't go wrong with either one since they're a distinct look from a bygone era for a historical team. So I say both.

Watch out for the botched logo tho lol

Thanks for the warning since that's been a common issue plaguing any of those jerseys manufactured this year.

yellow rookie 8 or purple rookie 8???

Man I’m torn!! Both are super fire! My first rookie jersey so really don’t know lol

You have to get both if you really are a true Kobe fan. They're classic looks. You should be able to get them on discount occasionally from reputable websites so get them. And I hope you don't get jerseys with f'd up placement of the gold logo. This should convince you since I have both.
IMG_4359.JPG
IMG_4363.JPG

Ive copped a lot of jerseys and shoes (especially this past weekend lol) the past 2 weeks:lol: Might need a break after I find a black pinstripe MJ & Tmac blue shiny jerseys.

You are the man for finding this video! I collect 50th anniversary gamers, so this interests me very much, as I believe I own one of the jerseys worn this game. The numbers on the Lakers jerseys are very thick and blocky, like they are on the Kobe example shown earlier. Kobe didn't play this game, but he did wear the jersey on the bench. Teams that wore these throwbacks this season seemed to wear them for a few games, but I haven't been able to find any record of the Lakers wearing these aside from this game.

IMG_3939.png
Screen Shot 2020-08-23 at 1.17.25 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-08-23 at 1.20.22 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-08-23 at 12.47.51 PM.png

According to this LA Times article recap of this game, they were going to wear them again the following month on January 29, 1997 against the Spurs. In that game, Kobe did play. I highlighted the text at the bottom of the article where it's stated.

It’s Ugly, but Lakers Won’t Throw It Back
By SCOTT HOWARD-COOPER
DEC. 28, 1996
12 AM
TIMES STAFF WRITER

The Lakers of the 1990s dressed like the Lakers of the 1960s on Friday night for the latest chapter of a rivalry for the ages.

They were concerned with the past all right, only not quite the past that they were advertising.

The uniforms they wore were replicas of the first six seasons in Los Angeles as part of the NBA’s 50th-anniversary celebration, but the motivation was a month old. That was when the Lakers lost to the lowly Celtics at the FleetCenter, a memory that they say played a role in the 109-102 victory over Boston before 17,505 at the Forum.

“A great deal,” said Derek Fisher, who had 13 points off the bench and was going so well that he played the first 8:05 of the fourth quarter. “We owed them.”

Added Jerome Kersey, who had 13 points, 10 rebounds and five steals: “To lose to that team, I’m not saying they’re a bad team or anything, but we shouldn’t lose to them. We wanted to pay them back.”

The Celtics brought in a porous defense, the worst record in the league, a five-game losing streak and an 0-10 road mark, but they chased the Lakers to the end, down only 100-96 with 2:41 left. But that also became the time of their last meaningful points, dragging the problems out for another night.

So there wasn’t much historical about it after all, no matter the wardrobes. The Lakers continued to roll despite not having found a real groove yet, winning for the eighth time in 10 games as Shaquille O’Neal had 25 points and 11 rebounds, and

Boston continued to search for its future and its past.
OK, so it wasn’t a complete throwback uniform.

“No hot pants,” Celtic Coach M.L. Carr said, noting the change through the years in the length of the basketball shorts.

“That’s not retro.”

“Back then,” Del Harris of the Lakers added, “those things were like bikinis.”

The concession wasn’t to the new-style baggy trunks and the fabrics of the ‘90s alone. There were the Lakers going with road uniforms--royal blue with white trim, numbers and letters--but nonetheless the colors of their forefathers instead of the current purple and gold, and with “Los Angeles” across the chest in cursive instead of “LAKERS” in block. That made the Celtics, with white and green accents, the home team in appearance, although they actually went with a compilation look rather than picking any one era since they’ve made only the slightest modifications through the years.

Two other problems:

“I hate the color blue,” O’Neal said. “Get it?”

Got it. The Orlando Magic wear blue.

And, about that new Laker, the one who looks familiar, has the familiar uniform No. 43, but has BLOUT on the back of the throwback jersey.

“Always the butt of jokes,” Corie Blount said.

The seamstress has one more chance to get it right: The Lakers will also wear their ancestors’ threads--used for the first six seasons after the move from Minneapolis in 1960--on Jan. 29 at San Antonio.

This was, however, the Lakers’ only chance to correct their mistake from Nov. 27, the 16-point loss at Boston that prompted a players-only meeting the next day. Exactly a month later, L.A. had a revenge factor for motivation.

“Good,” Carr said. “They should. They should use it as inspiration. . . . That’s what teams should do. You like to hear that.”

He liked what came next even better: the Celtics making 13 of their first 18 shots and jumping to a nine-point lead in the first quarter, then pushing the advantage to 10 early in the second quarter. Even when the Lakers responded by taking the lead within minutes, and then holding a 60-56 edge at halftime, Boston was still at 57.5%.

It was tight throughout the third period, at 77-77 until the final seconds. Until the final 2.6 seconds actually, when Fisher made a three-pointer while being fouled by David Wesley and then made the free throw. That gave the Lakers an 82-77 advantage heading into the final quarter.

I must've gotten the only medium Blue Kobe on the corporate restock :lol:
Checked out successfully, went back to the page, sold out in my size.

You can't go wrong with either one since they're a distinct look from a bygone era for a historical team. So I say both.

Thanks for the warning since that's been a common issue plaguing any of those jerseys manufactured this year.

You have to get both if you really are a true Kobe fan. They're classic looks. You should be able to get them on discount occasionally from reputable websites so get them. And I hope you don't get jerseys with f'd up placement of the gold logo. This should convince you since I have both.
IMG_4359.JPG
IMG_4363.JPG

wow. Absolutely Beautiful. After seeing the pics, I’m leaning yellow.

Did kobe wear a los angeles cursive black and yellow jersey ?
I thinkI remember seeing it on a slam issue. If so we need an authentic of that one also.

Here is a list of all the jerseys he ever wore. He never wore a black jersey besides the T-shirt style Hollywood Nights in 2014.

Only if they fix the purple and use a bluer shade of purple like the original.

It's blasphemous that they messed up such a basic thing on one of their signature pieces.

So does that mean the purple shade discrepancy applies to all the purple Kobe jerseys made in dri-fit version?

I decided against getting the 2008-09 purple one with the NBA Finals patch on it because it was conveyed to me that the shade of purple was wrong. I also preferred not to have a patch on it either was another reason.

So does that mean the purple shade discrepancy applies to all the purple Kobe jerseys made in dri-fit version?

I decided against getting the 2008-09 purple one with the NBA Finals patch on it because it was conveyed to me that the shade of purple was wrong. I also preferred not to have a patch on it either was another reason.
no

the purple was a weird blueish/purple hue in the early 2000's then it turned to a actual purple

Back
Top Bottom