Official MLB Offseason Post: Michael Young asks for a trade.

[h1]
[h1]Cashman Encourages Jeter To Test The Markethttp://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/11/cashman-encourages-jeter-to-test-the-market.html[/h1]
By Tim Dierkes [November 23 at 2:41pm CST]

The game of chicken between the Yankees and Derek Jeterhttp://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/11/cashman-encourages-jeter-to-test-the-market.html continued today, with GM Brian Cashman making the latest move.  Cashman told ESPN's Wallace Matthewshttp://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/11/cashman-encourages-jeter-to-test-the-market.html

"We understand his contributions to the franchise and our offer has taken them into account.  We've encouraged him to test the market and see if there's something he would prefer other than this. If he can, fine. That's the way it works."

On Sunday, Jeter's agent Casey Close told Mike Lupica of the New York Daily News, "The Yankees' negotiating strategy remains baffling.  They continue to argue their points in the press and refuse to acknowledge Derek's total contribution to their franchise."  To that, Cashman responded:

"I certainly was surprised.  There's nothing baffling about our position. We have actually gone directly face to face with Casey and Derek and been very honest and direct. They know exactly where we sit."

Matthews reports the Yankees' offer to be three years and $45MM.  Cashman wouldn't confirm that, but did say, "You can write that they have asked for more. More years and more money."  Matthews says the Yankees informed Close Monday that they will not be offering arbitration to Jeter.  If Jeter does somehow land with another club, he will not come with a draft pick cost.
[/h1]

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

Not to play the whole, "he seems like a better human being than that" card, but with what Cliff and his family have gone through, I really can't see him being selfish enough to demand an extra year on such an already lucrative contract.

I'm more laughing at the fact that they're going to 6 years when Texas is hesitant to give a 5th.  Maybe Washington is playing a stronger hand than we all think.

Kerry Wood has options this winter, after pitching well with the New York Yankees down the stretch. The Chicago Cubs may be able to offer him a setup gig, and the Yankees haven't closed the door on bringing him back, though they expect the right-hander to test open market and seek a closer job, tweets Ken Rosenthal.

Wallace Matthews writes Tuesday that the Yankees will likely offer Wood arbitration, however, which could swing things the Yankees way unless another club offers a closer role or a multi-year deal.

Wood could be a fit in Arizona as a closer, however, as new GM Kevin Towers is seeking major upgrades in the bullpen and probably prefers to stay out of the market for Rafael Soriano who could command as many as four years guaranteed.

If Wood returned to the Cubs, he could serve as closer 1B with Carlos Marmol not the most consistent of relievers, despite some of the best stuff in baseball.

Not to play the whole, "he seems like a better human being than that" card, but with what Cliff and his family have gone through, I really can't see him being selfish enough to demand an extra year on such an already lucrative contract.

I'm more laughing at the fact that they're going to 6 years when Texas is hesitant to give a 5th.  Maybe Washington is playing a stronger hand than we all think.

Kerry Wood has options this winter, after pitching well with the New York Yankees down the stretch. The Chicago Cubs may be able to offer him a setup gig, and the Yankees haven't closed the door on bringing him back, though they expect the right-hander to test open market and seek a closer job, tweets Ken Rosenthal.

Wallace Matthews writes Tuesday that the Yankees will likely offer Wood arbitration, however, which could swing things the Yankees way unless another club offers a closer role or a multi-year deal.

Wood could be a fit in Arizona as a closer, however, as new GM Kevin Towers is seeking major upgrades in the bullpen and probably prefers to stay out of the market for Rafael Soriano who could command as many as four years guaranteed.

If Wood returned to the Cubs, he could serve as closer 1B with Carlos Marmol not the most consistent of relievers, despite some of the best stuff in baseball.

It's 10 million a year with a 2 million dollar buy-out in 2013...

10 million isn't bad if he has the same level of production for the  next 2 years.

It's 10 million a year with a 2 million dollar buy-out in 2013...

10 million isn't bad if he has the same level of production for the  next 2 years.

That is a big "if" though.

Huff has had a couple of big seasons mixed in with a lot of mediocre seasons.

This kinda stunned me a bit when I checked it out today, his WAR the last 4 years:

2010 - 5.0
2009 - (-1.4)
2008 - 4.0
2007 - 0.7

An elite season, a below average replacement player type of season, a borderline star season and a below average player season. In consistent AB's each year. Being a lefty in that park would make a possible decline look even worse on the stat sheet.

This kinda stunned me a bit when I checked it out today, his WAR the last 4 years:

2010 - 5.0
2009 - (-1.4)
2008 - 4.0
2007 - 0.7

An elite season, a below average replacement player type of season, a borderline star season and a below average player season. In consistent AB's each year. Being a lefty in that park would make a possible decline look even worse on the stat sheet.

what did he and his fam go through?

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

Disagree with this.  After playing 11 seasons you dont have a career averages of .283 with 25 jacks and 92 rbi if you have a couple of big seasons and a lot of mediocre seasons.  Every year he stayed healthy he has produced.

Disagree with this.  After playing 11 seasons you dont have a career averages of .283 with 25 jacks and 92 rbi if you have a couple of big seasons and a lot of mediocre seasons.  Every year he stayed healthy he has produced.

His son was diagnosed with a rare form of leukemia not long after he was born and I guess doctors gave him a really slim survival rate. He battled it for some time and has been in remission for awhile now.

His name is Jaxon, so you know he's a badass.

jax.png

His son was diagnosed with a rare form of leukemia not long after he was born and I guess doctors gave him a really slim survival rate. He battled it for some time and has been in remission for awhile now.

His name is Jaxon, so you know he's a badass.

jax.png

Originally Posted by MzD650

laugh.gif

What a difference a year makes.  Last year, he couldn't get a contract.

Also with the exception of the .283 average those numbers are inflated considering you used baseball references "162 game average" equation, which is like justifying giving a big NBA contract by using x 48 minute averages.

Based on his WAR, Huff had a career year last season and he cashed in.  Time will tell if the Giants will get the Huff of 2010, 2008, 2004, 2003 or if they will get the Huff of 2009, 2007, 2006, etc.

I don't understand your last statement, with the exception of 2006 when he only played 130 games, Huff has played in over 150 games each season.  Health is not an issue with Huff.

Originally Posted by MzD650

laugh.gif

What a difference a year makes.  Last year, he couldn't get a contract.

Also with the exception of the .283 average those numbers are inflated considering you used baseball references "162 game average" equation, which is like justifying giving a big NBA contract by using x 48 minute averages.

Based on his WAR, Huff had a career year last season and he cashed in.  Time will tell if the Giants will get the Huff of 2010, 2008, 2004, 2003 or if they will get the Huff of 2009, 2007, 2006, etc.

I don't understand your last statement, with the exception of 2006 when he only played 130 games, Huff has played in over 150 games each season.  Health is not an issue with Huff.

All Jeter has to do is show interest in signing with the Red Sox.

Im pretty sure the Yanks will do everything to not let that happen

Originally Posted by Kookcle

redsox dont need jeter. so he's in a no win situation. nobody will even come close to 15 a year for him

Originally Posted by Kookcle

redsox dont need jeter. so he's in a no win situation. nobody will even come close to 15 a year for him

Originally Posted by Proshares

I would pay $9 million per for 2 years to Mo any day of the damn week. Rather than risk him going to Boston when they give Papsmear the boot. He's one of the top CP's in the game up there with Soria, Wilson and Bailey.

But he's asking 18 million per year, though...

Yankees probably did counter with 2 years, 9 million per
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Proshares

I would pay $9 million per for 2 years to Mo any day of the damn week. Rather than risk him going to Boston when they give Papsmear the boot. He's one of the top CP's in the game up there with Soria, Wilson and Bailey.

But he's asking 18 million per year, though...

Yankees probably did counter with 2 years, 9 million per
laugh.gif

Jeter ain't getting more than $15M... The Yanks would be stupid to bid against themselves. If he wants to sign with the Sox for less money to prove a point, dare him to. But nobody else is giving him close to 3/45.

And I think 6/140 may be enough to push the Rangers out on Lee... Go get Greinke and put all that scratch into other places... The annual rate probably isn't an issue, but 6 years is beyond what they'll do. I think they'd come around on 5, but 6 isn't happening.

Jeter ain't getting more than $15M... The Yanks would be stupid to bid against themselves. If he wants to sign with the Sox for less money to prove a point, dare him to. But nobody else is giving him close to 3/45.

And I think 6/140 may be enough to push the Rangers out on Lee... Go get Greinke and put all that scratch into other places... The annual rate probably isn't an issue, but 6 years is beyond what they'll do. I think they'd come around on 5, but 6 isn't happening.

Back
Top Bottom