Official MMA Thread-UFC on FOX 3, 5/5/12 - Anyone asking for stream links = banned.

Originally Posted by Clutchshooter

Originally Posted by Newbs24

Can't wait for BJ/GSP 2. Bj should have walked through Georges the first fight but gased and messed up his ribcage.

i believe you're confusing the ribcage part wih hughes/penn 2.

Yeah I'm sure he is. No matter how you look it, both are pretty much different fighters from their first fight. I'm just concerned BJ's stand-up isgonna get the best of GSP and he's gonna catch him in the 2nd/3rd round.
grin.gif

I actually think gsp's standup is more crisp at this point. In fact I think he'2nd only to silva in that regard, but he just flat out doesn't hitas hard as bj does. and bj is pretty precise himself.

What are people's thoughts on the card as a whole? Seems as though they know Couture v. Lesnar will bring in plenty of PPV buys so there was no need tohave a solid top to bottom card. I could be off here, more than a casual fan but there are definitely posters in here who know a hell of alot more than me.

i think florian/stevenson is a great co-headline. even though florian really shouldnt have to fight it.

i am pumped for gsp/penn 2 but i dont like it when titles are held up or non active.

there has been almost zero time since the reintroduction of the lw belt where all 5 titles have been held by undisputed champs and been fully active.

but other than the two headliners the card is a little lackster.

update on couture/affliction entertainment:

Todd Beard, co-owner of Affliction Clothing, Inc., has tendered his resignation with the popular clothing company.

In a press release sent out Friday, Affliction's board of directors said it had accepted his exit as "an employee of the company."

The release further stated that Beard was seeking counseling for alcohol abuse and anger problems.

Beard was named in a restraining order filed by Kim Couture, wife of Randy Couture, that detailed Beard's criminal background and threats he made to the Coutures and their lawyer, Sam Spira, last month.

A Nevada court granted a temporary restraining order on Wednesday.

"I would like to apologize for my comments that may have offended Kim and Randy Couture and Mr. Spira. I had a long-standing relationship with the Coutures and I was deeply and emotionally hurt by some of their recent business decisions," Beard said in the release. "I have only the best of intentions for the success of the Affliction and Xtreme Couture clothing brands and understand that there are personal issues I must address."

Affliction Clothing has a controlling interest in Couture's clothing line, Xtreme Couture.

"We are delighted Todd has decided to address these issues and wish Randy Couture well," said Affliction's board of directors.

The company distanced itself from Beard's actions as a reflection on Affliction Entertainment, which promotes mixed martial arts events. Business guru Donald Trump is a major stakeholder in Affliction Entertainment and holds gaming licenses in Nevada and New Jersey among other states.

"Affliction Entertainment Group LLC (the mixed martial arts promotion company) is not controlled by Affliction Inc. Mr. Beard to its knowledge, is nether an officer, director, or a shareholder of Affliction Entertainment Group LLC as stated in several periodicals," the release states.

winner of florian/stevenson gets title shot:
Ultimate Fighting Championship president Dana White stated at the UFC 91 pre-fight press conference that the winner of the lightweight match-up between Kenny "Ken-Flo" Florian and Joe "Daddy" Stevenson would get the next shot at the title.

"The winner of this fight definitely gets the shot," said White.

Florian was widely considered the No.1 contender to B.J. Penn's UFC lightweight crown after handily defeating Roger Huerta at UFC 87 on Aug. 9. Florian and Stevenson have each had the opportunity to compete for the belt and both came up short.

Florian lost to former UFC lightweight titleholder Sean Sherk at UFC 64 on Oct. 14, 2006 by unanimous decision after five rounds. The Bostonian has strung together a five-fight win streak since being defeated by Sherk in a bout that saw Sherk cut and bloodied by the end of the 25 minutes.

Stevenson was submitted by current champion B.J. Penn at UFC 80 on Jan. 19, but rebounded by defeating Gleison Tibau by guillotine choke at UFC 86 six months later on July 19.

"It's a great fight overshadowed by the heavyweight fight," said the UFC president. "It's going to be a sick fight. It should be. On paper it is."

ufc 91 doesnt sell out:

"Ticket sales have been great. Listen, right now, I don't care how big you are or you small you are, everybody's feeling this economic crunch. Major corporations that have been around before we were alive are hurting right now and in fear of going out of business. Our business is in a really good place right now. We did great on ticket sales, I'm predicting right now, even with this economic crunch, the biggest pay-per-view in UFC history."

Such was the opening salvo of the president of one of the fastest growing sports entities in the world, Dana White, the head of the Ultimate Fighting Championship.

At first glance, saying "ticket sales have been great" in promoter speak usually means as much as "we're hoping for a big walk-up crowd." In other words, not what was expected of a fight like the return of UFC heavyweight champion Randy Couture defending his belt against former WWE superstar Brock Lesnar.

But if you dig a little deeper into White's follow-up comments, you realize that Couture vs. Lesnar could still be the mega-fight that the UFC hopes for, sold out or not.

"The reality is, you don't go home and watch the UFC by yourself. You get eight or nine buddies over, you get the pizza, you get the beer, you all pitch in. It's a pretty cheap night out," relayed White, before adding, "We're projecting 1.2 million (pay-per-view buys). I hope I'm wrong and it's more.

"We've got mad scientists sitting in a room calculating these things... There's a formula to it and a secret and we finally figured it out... Maybe we'll go a little over, maybe we're a little under, but I guarantee you, we'll be right in that range."

The UFC is definitely a pay-per-view driven brand and if the final tally is anything near White's predication, coming up a few tickets short of a sellout will make little difference to the bottom line.

In fact, 1.2 million buys at $44.95 each equates to roughly $54 million, which easily dwarfs live gate revenues, which frequently fall into the $3 to 5 million range.

And Couture vs. Lesnar is only the first in a succession of "mega-fights" that the UFC president has on tap.

"Chuck (Liddell) is the biggest pay-per-view star in MMA. (Couture vs. Lesnar) could outdo the Chuck Liddell numbers. GSP is becoming a huge star in his own. I think the guy that walks out of that B.J. Penn-GSP fight with their hand raised becomes a (expletive) superstar," said White, referring to the Super Bowl weekend welterweight championship between current champ Georges St. Pierre and lightweight champ B.J. Penn.

So, despite the U.S. economy tanking and many MMA companies (most notably ProElite/EliteXC) suffering right along with the country's struggles, the UFC, if White's estimates are correct, is far from bottoming out. In fact, if White's estimates are correct, the promotion may be in for it's largest payday to date

I hope Randy schools Brock for 3 rounds. Forget knocking him out or subbing him, I just want some of these idioitic "cage fighting" fans to see whatMMA is really about.

oh and

p.s. I'm korean, WAR PENN.

who else is fighting in this card, they dont mention any other fights on the countdown specials or on the website. i think the magnitude they are giving to ufc91 is highly over rated. ufc 92 on the other hand is gonna be sick, that whole card is stacked.

Cant wait for tonights cards here's how I have it going

Champ Randy Couture vs. Brock Lesnar (for UFC heavyweight title)
Kenny Florian vs. Joe Stevenson
Nick Catone vs. Amir Sadollah
Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Josh Hendricks
Demian Maia vs. Nate Quarry

PRELIMINARY CARD (UN-TELEVISED)

Dustin Hazelett vs. Tamdan McCrory
Jorge Gurgel vs. Aaron Riley
Jeremy Stephens vs. Rafael dos Anjos
Mark Bocek vs. Alvin Robinson
Matt Brown vs. Ryan Thomas

^ amir is out.

I hope Randy schools Brock for 3 rounds.
what about the other 2 rounds?

and penn is like 1/32 korean
laugh.gif
. he is that dude tho.

for some reason i thought meia was fighting nate marquardt, not quarry.

^ if anyone get's caught in an armbar tonight they can just lift the other person's legs off
roll.gif

or if they are getting rocked they can just run away.
roll.gif

heading out to watch the fights tonight so i wont be conversing with you mugs
laugh.gif

here's to a solid night of mma!

Yo what happened to Cote? looked like he just %%@$%@ up his knee like Michael Owen did in the last world cup? was that fight live?

Back
Top Bottom