Official MMA Thread-UFC on FOX 3, 5/5/12 - Anyone asking for stream links = banned.

It's smart on Anderson Silva's part because if it's gonna be his last fight at 185, thats will make it indisputable that he is the best MW ever.

Originally Posted by Bastitch

Originally Posted by Club29

I cant believe the UFC let go of a prime talent like Leites while no-talent shmucks like Houston Alexander are still around.

his last 2 performances werent anything to brag about, but his submission skills alone should be more than enough to have kept him on the roster a little longer
smh.gif
I don't think you can look it that way. While I agree that he could have used another fight or two, the UFC simply doesn't work that way. The UFC doesn't find the top 20 in each division and sign them. If that were the case, I'm pretty sure the roster wouldn't have as many "big names" and quite frankly would make the UFC pretty damn stale with significantly less appeal to those not considered "hardcore fans". And whether you want to admit it or not, casual fans are the reason why MMA is so successful and all over free tv these days.

In my eyes there are three groups of fighters in the UFC:

1. Fighters in contention as the best fighters in their respective divisions.
2. Fighters that are around because they are proven draws, or are long tenured fighters that at one point the UFC has built up with their marketing machine so they're worth keeping them around given the amount of money they've invested in them(TUF cast members, "old school" fighters, etc.) .
3. Up and comers. Blue chip prospects that are going to get theirs eventually (Jon Jones, Carwin, Cain, etc), or the UFC is looking to put their hype machine behind to generate hype and interest in the new faces. It's the group of people they want to create stars from.

The first group is obvious. BJ, Kenny, GSP, Spider, Rampage, Lyoto, Mir, Brock, Nog, Diego, etc.

The second group includes people like Marcus Davis, Houston Alexander, Chris Leben, etc.

Obviously, fighters can move from category to category. Forrest went from group 2 to 1 after his wins over Shogun and Rampage. People like Chuck and Ace find themselves more as fighters in group 2 these days.

With this last lost, Leites may no longer be in any of these categories.

you shut your stupid mouth!

Ok, you may have a point, but still...Thales was my dude
frown.gif

I apparently know nothing about MMA.
wait, what?

I would think at some point Barncat will come back after some fights outside the org. He's not ready yet but being 6'4 at 170 is crazy, I'm surethey just want him to develop a little more.

When did this happen
laugh.gif
?

Baroni Likely Headed Back to UFC
Thursday, August 13, 2009
by Greg Savage ([email protected])

Phil Baroni has verbally agreed to a contract with the UFC, according to a source close to the fighter. The veteran welterweight's potential signing willundoubtedly raise a few eyebrows as well as shed some light on the brewing feud between the UFC and rival promotion Strikeforce.

According to an MMAJunkie.com report, the UFC has also signed Dennis Hallman, another former Strikeforce fighter. A source close to the UFC intimated moresignings might be on the horizon as fighters complete their Strikeforce contracts.

Strikeforce matchmaker Bob Cook confirmed to Sherdog.com that Baroni was released from his Strikeforce contract in the past few days and would be free to signwith another promotion.

Baroni (13-11) dropped a unanimous decision to Joe Riggs in St. Louis in June. He had won three bouts in a row before the loss.

Getting dropped will be the best thign to happen to the Barncat. It'll give him an opportunity to sharpen his still-young skillset without worry of beingin the public eye. He'll be back in the UFC, count on it. As for Leites, he reached the 'top of the mountain' so to speak, and did terrible withhis opportunity. He followed up that horrible performance by losing to an even 'lesser' opponent in Sakara. His cut is understandable.

Looking VERY forward to Saturdays Strikefarce event!!
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by MonopolyMan630

Baroni Likely Headed Back to UFC
Thursday, August 13, 2009
by Greg Savage ([email protected])

Phil Baroni has verbally agreed to a contract with the UFC, according to a source close to the fighter. The veteran welterweight's potential signing will undoubtedly raise a few eyebrows as well as shed some light on the brewing feud between the UFC and rival promotion Strikeforce.

According to an MMAJunkie.com report, the UFC has also signed Dennis Hallman, another former Strikeforce fighter. A source close to the UFC intimated more signings might be on the horizon as fighters complete their Strikeforce contracts.

Strikeforce matchmaker Bob Cook confirmed to Sherdog.com that Baroni was released from his Strikeforce contract in the past few days and would be free to sign with another promotion.

Baroni (13-11) dropped a unanimous decision to Joe Riggs in St. Louis in June. He had won three bouts in a row before the loss.
That guys punches hard. And he...yeah, punches hard.

Okay, I got nothin'.

^Word, he looked to be in better shape than in a long time in his last fight though..

Strikeforce.. smh, woulda been a MUCH better card if Thomson and Diaz were fighting..

[h1]Baroni is the BEST EVA!!!!
[/h1][h1]
[/h1]
[h1]
[/h1] [h1]UFC President Dana White stops video blogs[/h1]

On Tuesday, UFC President Dana White announced that he will not be creating the popular behind-the-scenes video blogs any longer. Not only that, but he also deleted the entire collection of video blogs that had already been created and stored on the UFC's YouTube channel.

The news is surprising given the immense popularity of the vlogs among fans around the globe that enjoyed watching their favorite fighters interact with each other and UFC management. It was a free "backstage" pass that allowed the viewing public access to events they would never otherwise be able to enjoy.

It's hard to believe the UFC would put a stop to a public relations mechanism that was so inexpensive to produce, and easily accessible to fans without replacing it with something better.

Fighter's Only is reporting that the UFC is working on just such a project with HBO that would give fans a behind-the-scenes look at the events.

http://www.examiner.com/x...tops-video-blogs-but-why

Originally Posted by His diabolical Majesty

[h1]Baroni is the BEST EVA!!!!
[/h1] [h1]
[/h1]
[h1]
[/h1] [h1]UFC President Dana White stops video blogs[/h1]

On Tuesday, UFC President Dana White announced that he will not be creating the popular behind-the-scenes video blogs any longer. Not only that, but he also deleted the entire collection of video blogs that had already been created and stored on the UFC's YouTube channel.

The news is surprising given the immense popularity of the vlogs among fans around the globe that enjoyed watching their favorite fighters interact with each other and UFC management. It was a free "backstage" pass that allowed the viewing public access to events they would never otherwise be able to enjoy.

It's hard to believe the UFC would put a stop to a public relations mechanism that was so inexpensive to produce, and easily accessible to fans without replacing it with something better.

Fighter's Only is reporting that the UFC is working on just such a project with HBO that would give fans a behind-the-scenes look at the events.

http://www.examiner.com/x...tops-video-blogs-but-why

A UFC version of 24/7 would be
pimp.gif

And Chuck looks coked up in that gif above.
laugh.gif

Anyone attending UFC 102 in Portland?

I'm driving down from Vancouver to catch it, sitting in section 301 row O

Carano better make weight. For some reason, I think shes gonna be in trouble for this fight.

MAIN CARD
  • Gina Carano vs. Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos (for Strikeforce women's 145-pound title)
  • Jay Hieron vs. Jesse Taylor
  • Champ Renato "Babalu" Sobral vs. Gegard Mousasi (for Strikeforce light heavyweight title)
  • Champ Gilbert Melendez vs. Mitsuhiro Ishida (for Strikeforce interim lightweight title)
PRELIMINARY CARD (un-aired)
  • Mike Kyle vs. Fabricio Werdum
  • Mike Cook vs. Scott Lighty
  • David "Tarzan" Douglas vs. Justin Wilcox
  • Zak Bucia vs. James Terry
  • Isaiah Hill vs. Alex Trevino

Originally Posted by m7792

Anyone attending UFC 102 in Portland?

I'm driving down from Vancouver to catch it, sitting in section 301 row O

I'm driving up from the Bay Area. Got represent Vallejo and my boy Mark. There are a lot of people coming up to support Mark.

did anyone watch the weigh-ins on HDNet?

jesus christ cris cyborg is @$%*@!* ripped..

bas rutten - "she's got more abs than i have, and i've got some great abs! *laughter*"

I still can't believe Torres lost, I was thinking to myself the last time I watched an mma event before tonights strikeforce event and I was Like "ohyeah it was the Torres fight" then I was like "oh @$#* he lost that !+!!@*$ fight"
laugh.gif
smh.gif

Back
Top Bottom