Official MMA Thread-UFC on FOX 3, 5/5/12 - Anyone asking for stream links = banned.

SO DISSAPOINTED at Brock Lesnar. If your gonna step inside the cage, you better have some sort of skill in all the aspects of the sport. Cant just go in thereand rely on your wrestling and strength. Frank Mir's knee bar was textbook. But I still dont understand why Brock got tossed in there with Frank Mir as hisfirst fight. Frank Mir is no joke. If he never had the bike accident Frank Mir would still be on top in my opinion. Brock should have been matched up with afighter like Eddie Sanchez just to get his feet wet. When big name fighters debut in UFC such as Rampage, Cro Cop, and Minotauro, they fought average fightersin my opinion. The UFC should have done the same for Brock Lesnar. Brock will be back though.
mad.gif

Like I said earlier, both guys are over at the end of the fight. Lesnar wasn't expected to kill Mir. They could've given him Brad Imes or Robinson (theBritish dude), but when you pay him so much money, you have to make your money on him early. Mir redeemed himself and Brock didn't lose anything. He lostto the better jiu-jitsu guy, but roughed him up the rest of the fight. The only reason Lesnar got docked the point was because Mir turned his head for fear ofgetting punched in the face. You can argue that Mir would've been done if the referee didn't step in and take the point away. There are tons of fightswhere the referees would've just yelled at him and warned him.

At the end of the day, Mir is back in the chase, and people still don't want to face Lesnar.

what the hell...one second they're doing introductions then the fight is over? was it THAT quick or did my stream suck that bad?
you just aint doing it right.. my stream was perfect! no lag watsoever. live ppv
pimp.gif
im 2-3 out of my picks. i dont know if i wrote this but i was saying this pastmonth to everyone that marquadt will win by guillotine, mir by leg lock, and tim by tko (unfortunately he couldnt finish him BUT he LAMOST HAD IT) o well illgo 3-3 next time

Damn Frank Mir almost ripped Brock knee apart. That kneebar/ankle lock was nasty.
eek.gif
However, the big nog tapout on Sliva took the cake for being the bestsubmissions of the night.
pimp.gif

yo put some tags on ur thread its gonna make it easier to find

brock looked pretty good as a ufc rookie. he wasnt so impressive but still good nonetheless. he shoulda seen that knee bar / foot lock coming. mir wasbasically reaching for brock's leg with his own leg, got caught, wrapped it around, and locked it with his arms. he didnt even execute it fast enough imo(ryo chonan style). brock really needs to step up his bbj knowledge up. take some lessons from nog.

overall it was still a good fight even though it was kinda short.

sylvia vs. nog... that transition to the submission was soooo smooth: bjj takedown > sweep > halfguard > arm lock (didnt work) > guillotine FTW!!!
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

for those who havent seen the fights...

http://mmafightvideos.blogspot.com/

You can argue that Mir would've been done if the referee didn't step in and take the point away. There are tons of fights where the referees would've just yelled at him and warned him.
Agreed. It also seemed like Lesnar got a little too excited over taking Mir down so early...He probably could have hurt him bad if he got somepower behind his punches instead of those short, rapid hammer fists. With more experience, Brock could be decent.

I was glad to see Tyson Griffin get the win over that Arturo Gatti look-a-like...and what was up with the hip throw K.O. by Boetsch?
laugh.gif

wow NOG has officially sealed his legacy with this championship win. Good for him. Brock was a beast, he could be a force if he is still serious about the UFC.Now if only the UFC played nice and got Josh Barnett, Mark Hunt, and Fedor..
ohwell.gif

I was gonna also say Gilvert Yvel but forgot about this....
Due to his aforementioned assault of a referee, as well as losses by disqualification in previous matches, the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) rejected Yvel's application for a fighter's license. As a result, he was pulled from a scheduled fight with Sergei Kharitonov at PRIDE 33 in Las Vegas, and was replaced with Mike Russo, a Chicago police officer.

This was a great UFC, everything was exciting from start to finish.

At first i hated %#%$ Chestnar, but after his display, he is a force to be reckoned with. That stop by Mazzegati was a bit suspicious (i think he maybe triedto stop it prematurely, but then backpedaled and gave Brock -1 for hit to the back of the head).

and Nog made a fan out of me. He knew he just needed a takedown and it took everything he had to do that, once he got the takedown, Nog became the UFCHeavyweight Champion.

Now on to my favorite fighter, Anderson the spider Silva!!!

My take on this fight is the better man won. Although, the crowd didn't like the ref breaking Lesnar and Mir up on the mat it happened because ofLesnar's overly-aggressive attitude. I do think Lesnar might have had a great opportunity to beat Frank Mir in the beginning moments of the fight.Mir's more experienced, and during the break, you could see Mir pacing around gathering his thoughts on how to combat Lesnar. Mir's a better fighterbecause he's been in UFC for a long time. But Lesnar did look promising in his first match in UFC. I take my hat off to Mir but Lesnar will be back. Hejust should have started slow and not let his ego get him caught up in the moment.

Booo. I think lesnar would of won if they didnt break the fight up originally for that long. If brock knew any holds it would of been a wrap for mir.

The throw by Tim Boetsch had me laughin like hell
laugh.gif
. Im glad he got thewin in his debut. I thought dude was like in his late 30's cuz of the receeding hairline then I find out he only 27
eek.gif

Give Lesnar some credit. The guy looked liked he trained his *$$ off and the first guy the set him up with is a BJJ fighter that was the former UFC champ whoonly lost the title because he was in an accident. They should have pulled a Kimbo Slice and set the dude up with cans and build him up.

I am a HUGE Mir fan and was very happy to see him get the win. He did get bailed out a little byt the strike to the back of the head but it was illegal andneeded to be noticed . It would have been bad if Brock didn't get stopped by Mazz. I knew Mir would sub him. Brock lost focus and Mir took what he wasgiven. If Mir can get a few more wins under his belt, he will be tough to beat. He does need to work his standup but his ground game is sick. Decent fights.Just saw them on dailymotion.

Originally Posted by Dips3tRydah

Give Lesnar some credit. The guy looked liked he trained his *$$ off and the first guy the set him up with is a BJJ fighter that was the former UFC champ who only lost the title because he was in an accident. They should have pulled a Kimbo Slice and set the dude up with cans and build him up.

The reason you can't do that is because Brock is being paid like a main eventer. You need to be able to make money from his fights. You put him inthere with Eddie Sanchez and it's not a main event fight and not going to do over 500k in buys like this one will.

^ Thats what it sounded like, but Nogueira sounded like he wanted Couture instead. Tim Sylvia got baited into trying to get up, it was like Nogueira knewEXACTLY the way he would try to get up, so he could put him in the GUILLOTINE!! Dang near separated his neck from his body. I was sure Frank Mir was going towin, but the way Brock Lesnar manhandled him was Amazing. He should've backed up when Mir was on the ground and waited for the ref to stand them up. But hewon other fights on the ground, and thought he could do the same! I could see Mir going for the arms when he was getting pounded and it was just a matter oftime!!
Overall the night reminded me of UFC 1 where the people that knew ground game won!

i went to this event in vegas.... place was goin' wild! best event i've been to..

No way. While a Lesnar domination would've been the best result, they knew that wasn't going to happen when they booked the fight. Lesnar is still over, and now Mir is someone who just beat Lesnar in the biggest fight of the year so far. He's over as well.
It's rumored he was getting paid 250Gs for that fight + a bonus if he won and supposedly he was getting paid more than Mir. How could you notget pissed, even with the slightest bit from that? Just remember Dana isn't just the "president" of the UFC, he's a businessman too.

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
Loved the main event finish. I figured Nogueira was going to pull a submission from out of nowhere to beat Sylvia.. but when Sylvia kept landingpunches on him I was worried they would stop the fight.

n1qd5h.gif

That guillotine was a thing of beauty.

Lesnar looked good for having to fight a former heavyweight champion in only his second professional fight. I'll be checking for him to fight in thefuture. Mir looks to be on the comeback.. hope to see him get a couple more big fights to see if he's really back to old form.

We were
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
at Boetsch flinging Heath onto his head for the KO.. and alsoat Bradley getting KO'd so badly that he pulled guard on the ref thinking the fight was still going.

Almeida's guillotine on Yundt was impressive too.. considering he got slammed onto his head and instead of breaking his grip he just rolled through toforce the tap.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
@ Jeremy Horn pretty much sticking his head under Marquart's arms to get himself choked out. Seems like a night of guillotines.
laugh.gif

* Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira ($200,000) def. Tim Sylvia ($100,000)
* Frank Mir ($80,000) def. Brock Lesnar ($250,000)
* Nate Marquardt ($52,000) def. Jeremy Horn ($25,000)
* Ricardo Almeida ($40,000) def. Rob Yundt ($5,000)
* Tyson Griffin ($36,000) def. Gleison Tibau ($11,000)
* Chris Lytle ($24,000) def. Kyle Bradley ($4,000)
* Tim Boetsch ($12,000) def. David Heath ($6,000)
* Marvin Eastman ($14,000) def. Terry Martin ($12,000)
* Rob Emerson ($16,000) def. Keita Nakamura ($5,000)

http://mmajunkie.com/2008/02/04/ufc...antonio-rodrigo-nogueira-tim-sylvia-and-more/

$60,000 was awarded to each of the fighters who received one of these three awards

[h3]Fight of the Night[/h3]
Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira vs. Tim Sylvia
[h3]Submission of the Night[/h3]
Frank Mir
[h3]Knockout of the Night[/h3]
Chris Lytle

Back
Top Bottom