Official MMA Thread-UFC on FOX 3, 5/5/12 - Anyone asking for stream links = banned.

The last two fights 
pimp.gif

Both have fight of the year written all over them

Originally Posted by rtz13

That Kamal Shalorus fight looks like it can make a few bucks, and to a lesser extent the CroCop fight.
I hope you're not thinking of betting on Kamal. Miller is going to DESTROY him.

Originally Posted by an dee 51o

That Kamal Shalorus fight looks like it can make a few bucks, and to a lesser extent the CroCop fight.
I've taking Shalorus in this one.

Miller probably takes it, but Kamal is tough as nails. Both are great wrestlers.
"Does he deserve a title shot?" asked Forrest Griffin, himself a top contender and a former champion at 205 pounds. "Let me ask you this: Do you see a lot of people asking to fight Jon Jones? You put that question out and you get crickets."

It's pretty crazy to hear how the pros talk about Jon Jones...over at Team Alpha Male (granted there is the Form Athletics affiliation), I overheard them unanimously agree that Jones will "walk through Shogun."  With Shad, all of this tension seems to come from a pretty strong belief in JJ winning the belt.  Despite the fact that I'll be rooting for Jones, I still see Shogun as the favorite.  He's the champ, and he is one of the best fighters in the world.  As Goldy would say, "his precision, is precise...that dude is violent!"  The more and more I hear, though, the more I can see why the UFC is running full steam ahead with the JJ war wagon (did I see that they have a full pre-fight show dedicated to JJ on Spike tomorrow? 
eek.gif
).  

Regardless of what happens, this is Jon Jones decade IMO

^
the hype for jones is bigger than it was for velasquez and the velasquez hype was pretty big.  it's hard to assume it will be anyone's era or decade in the LHW division.  the belt has been passed around way too much the last few years.  people thought the machida era was going to last for years, it lasted one fight.  i'm surprised that faber's crew thinks he will walk through shogun.  if his knees are okay, i don't see anyone dominating him.

I agree with you for the most part...the LHW division, out of all of them, is the most difficult to "dominate" for sure. I'm not saying he'll have 30 straight title defenses or anything, I'm just looking at it like this - JJ is arguably a top 5 LHW, and has only realized a fraction of his full potential. This isn't like Lyoto, a polished, finished product. JJ is 23.  Certainly, Shogun got better after he won the GP at the same age.  With JJ, he has certain things other people just don't have...that reach combined with that dynamic strength is absolutely ridiculous. Combine that with great conditioning and good game planning...man.

Trust me, the comments from the AM guys surprised me, too. They basically think JJ is too explosive and too strong. Shogun could disrupt Lyoto's range, but JJ can pretty much hit you from the other side of the cage.  Can Shogun close the distance against 84.5in reach without getting taken down?

Originally Posted by THE SAUNA

Jon Jones -185
Shogun +165

Eddie Wineland +335
Urijah Faber -420

Kamal Shalorus +210
Jim Miller -250

Dan Miller +250
Nate Marquardt -300

Brendan Schaub -270
Mirko Filipovic +230

Anything looking good guys?
MMA betting is my #1 priority, but I had a pretty rough 2010 so take my picks with a grain of salt (my 2011 has been off to a great start though 
happy.gif
 )

I honestly dont see any solid value picks on the card.  That being said, I will probably still bet a couple of pennies, just cause I'm a degen and can't miss an event without betting.  Hell I've bet every Saturday night Bellator card that has been on thus far.

I might throw a couple of pennies on Shalrous myself.  The line has been steadily climbing since it opened, and it looks like its going to hold pretty firm around the +210 mark.  I may be clouded by my dislike of the Miller bros, but its hard to deny that Jim Miller is a top level 155er.  Shalrous throws some bombs, so I'm hoping he can either catch Miller, or utilize his excellent wrestling to really grind on Miller.  I haven't seen any issues with Miller's gas tank, so I don't know if Shalrous will be able to physically break him down, but if Shalrous can get the TD and maintain top position... well you guys all know how much love wrestlers + top position get from MMA judges.  Does Miller take this fight 2 out of 3 times?  Probably... but again, I'm a sucka who just likes to bet.

Schaub at +270 seems a tad high, but I just dont see him losing to Mirko.  I am a Crocop fan, but his time has come and gone.  Schaub has looked better and better each outing.  Unless Mirko completely changed up his camp and strategy (I havent heard anything to say that he has), I just dont see how hes going to take this.  This may be my biggest unit play of the night.

Shogun +165.  I'm kinda kicking myself for not pulling the trigger when Shogun was closer to +180 range.  I know that the JJ hype machine is going full bore right now, but to get +185 on Shogun against ANYONE in the world?  If Shogun is healthy, the knee is good, and his cardio is up to par, I'll take odds on the champ any day.  

[h1]
[h1]Evans eyes Jones after splitting with coach [/h1]
Evans eyes Jones after splitting with coach

ESPN staff

March 16, 2011

7312.2.jpg

Rashad Evans has split with his coach, fuelling rumours he could be set to fight Jon Jones in the near future [emoji]169[/emoji] UFC

Rashad Evans looks set for a light-heavyweight showdown with Jon Jones after splitting with coach Greg Jackson.

Evans had previously stated he would not fight training partner and friend Jones for the light-heavyweight belt, should Jones beat Mauricio "Shogun" Rua at UFC 128 on Saturday.

Jackson was unwilling to allow his two fighters to go head-to-head in the Octagon, but UFC president Dana White had called for the pair to not let their friendship get in the way of a much-anticipated match-up.

Evans, who is the No. 1 title contender but missed out on a shot at Rua after picking up a knee injury, appears to be willing to do anything to have a shot at the belt, and has no intention of returning to Jackson's camp in the future.

"What's gonna happen is, the team's are gonna split apart," Evans said. "If I know there's a chance I'm training with Jon and Greg's training with Jon, I'm not gonna train with Greg any more, ever again.

"I need my coach to always be able to coach me no matter who I'm gonna fight. If he can't do that, I don't feel that there's a use for me having him as my coach." and has no intention of returning to Jackson's camp in the future.

"What's gonna happen is, the team's are gonna split apart," Evans said. "If I know there's a chance I'm training with Jon and Greg's training with Jon, I'm not gonna train with Greg any more, ever again.

"I need my coach to always be able to coach me no matter who I'm gonna fight. If he can't do that, I don't feel that there's a use for me having him as my coach."

Potential Jones vs. Evans fight if Bones gets past Shogun 
nerd.gif
[/h1]

^ confirmed?

I know he's been talking bout leaving Jackson's and heading over to Grudge full time, but I didn't know that the decision was made.

Everyone of friends called me an idiot, but I put $100 down on Shogun. He always rises to the occasion, and I think he will find away to get it done
WAR SHOGUN!!!

Originally Posted by RustyShackleford

Everyone of friends called me an idiot, but I put $100 down on Shogun. He always rises to the occasion, and I think he will find away to get it done
WAR SHOGUN!!!
All your friends are idiots....

Originally Posted by Lakersfan1

Originally Posted by RustyShackleford

WAR SHOGUN!!!
All your friends are idiots....

+1

I'll probably drop a couple units on Shogun too.

Another line worth watching might be the Mike Pyle v. Ricardo Almeida line.

I think Pyle might be a live dog.  I'm hoping the line shifts a bit in my favor.  If it creeps up to +170 range, i'll probably make a play.

I'd think just full time with Grudge and maybe Tri-Star...just like how Ken Flo and Miguel are pretty much full time with Firas. The Flo-Guida fight was the last inter-Jackson umbrella scrap I can remember.

Originally Posted by an dee 51o

He said he wanted to make money, and those are his best bets, Shalorus has some of the best wrestling in any division, definitely has the tools to smother Miller.

^
kamal doesn't even use his wrestling much.  he uses takedown defense but i can't remember him taking people down.  he has horrible gameplans.  he wants to stand the whole fight and then gases.

Hoping for a stand up war between these two. Two very diverse strikers. I wonder if Bones will test Shoguns guard? I think it will be a very good championship fight. About time.

They just announced Chan Sung Jung v. Leonard Garcia 2 @ UFN 24

Hopefully my dude zombie wont let it go to the judges this time.

Originally Posted by fraij da 5 11

They do a countdown show to 128 yet?

yea, they aired it on Tuesday i believe...
Also UFC just announced Fitch vs. Penn 2 for UFC 132 ... the 4th of july weekend show...

Fitch 
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom