Official MMA Thread-UFC on FOX 3, 5/5/12 - Anyone asking for stream links = banned.

Josh Barnett. Apologize...

dana_white.jpg

Probably not the first thought to be getting addressed here but what does this mean for Paul Daley? Is he still going to be employed now that hes under the same ownership as he was when he got banned from UFC?

"The fighters in Strikeforce will continue to fight
for that organization and deal mainly with
Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker, White said.
Although UFC can help Strikeforce grow and
tweak the operation, for now there will be no
crossover between the brands as far as sharing fighters, he said."

So no immediate changes but we can all imagine the long term effects of this buyout.

Probably gonna follow the WEC blueprint, except in a shorter time frame IMO.

And the Paul Daley thing, idk. Dana has given people second chances before. Unless he beats Diaz though I don't see the UFC keeping him any way.

Originally Posted by His diabolical Majesty

"no panicking about Daley. SF contracts are inviolate, the UFC cannot interfere with them, Daley and all SF fighters are ok, no issues"

-Fightersonly

Thanks.

Maaaaan. I woke up and read this. Shocked but not surprised. I thought a little after the tourney the purchase would be put in mind. Im real excited to see how this turns out? Diaz and St Pierre? Reem Velasquez? Im real excited
smile.gif

SF will still be on until their contract w/ Showtime is up. But I can't wait to see the possible match-ups... Nick Diaz vs GSP... Jacare vs Silva, Ubereem vs everyone. But I wonder what's gonna happen with DREAM and SF's little co-promotion or whatever they have going on.

wow.  ufc is turning into a monopoly.  i can see them buying bellator in a year or two.  seeing eddie alvarez knock people out in the octagon would be 
smokin.gif

the potential big name match ups sound good, but this will allow UFC to continue to put on Boring PPVs without havign to worry about competition gaining in the market.

I dont think this is a good thing.

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

the potential big name match ups sound good, but this will allow UFC to continue to put on Boring PPVs without havign to worry about competition gaining in the market.

UFC hasn't really put on boring PPV's on purpose... I really blame how the 10 point must system works in favour of wrestlers but the influx of talent will only result in more interesting PPVs and live events.

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

well, for the most part they try to book good fights for events.  sometimes things don't turn out the way we all expect, you'll have to look at the fighters for the reason.  the guys they have brought in from the WEC have been great and added a lot of exciting fights.  if they do bring in strikeforce fighters, it can definitely strengthen their roster.  they can cut the lower and mid-evel guys who haven't been performing well and put in better guys.

eek.gif
 @ the UFC buying Strikeforce.

eek.gif

pimp.gif
 @ the potential matchups this acquisition could bring.

On another note, isn't there a MMA event tonight?

Originally Posted by EAGLE 0N

Wonder if UFC will continue to use the Showtime platform once its contract with Strikeforce ends.

No, Dana has expressed how he felt about Showtime.

^ Agreed. Personally, I watch every card regardless, and almost every card over the past year or so has been worth it. Now with bantam and featherweights, I'm extra stoked...add the best from the Strikeforce roster, and likely the cream of the crop Japanese fighters now that Sengoku is done
pimp.gif

This is perfect for the UFC...SF was (and will still be) a great platform to develop names. As we're seeing with Shields and Pettis, you can book a hyped fight with a guy who didn't necessarily "climb the ranks.". While I believe #1 contenders deserve their due, the more big names "in the mix", the more compelling cards Silva and Shelby can put together for the fans.

Back
Top Bottom