Official MMA Thread-UFC on FOX 3, 5/5/12 - Anyone asking for stream links = banned.

Big Nog/Cro Cop sounds great, so does Franklin/Silva II. At least this time Franklin will have a better gameplan and hopefully take it to the ground. I don't see him winning if he decides to stand with Silva again. Also, BJ Penn vs Sherk sounds crazy. Penn's ground game is way ahead of Franca's and so is his stand up. You won't see Penn letting Sherk pass without a fight. His flexibility will be a huge help for him too.

Also, any other updates on Liddell vs Wanderlei? Hopefully that fight doesn't fall through the cracks again.

rocksfan25 :rolleyes
eyes.gif
A religion disguised as a joke disguised as a religion

Well Silva is stronger from the clinch, which was all that mattered in their first matchup

TEAM DC​
Goooooooooonies​

I can't see Silva losing to Franklin
Team Economics​
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.​
Member of the Steeler Nation
IX, X, XIII, XIV, XL Champions​

Silva is on top of his game right now, hopefully Denis Kang comes to the UFC rather than Bodog so he can fight Silva, that would be hella ****.

TEAM DC​
Goooooooooonies​

$50 well spent imo.

Even though there were lots of decisions, like 1 dude said already, it was a pretty good display of MMA (except the Tito fight). Sherk taking those knees to the dome and keep coming, passing with impunity, that was :pimp:
pimp.gif
UFC 60 Gracie v. Hughes​
Quote:
HAHAHAHA for all those who think that Gracie is gonna win, care to do a Sig bet (i know its lame, but i guess we cant really bet in person) Loser must keep a SIG made by the winner for a month. Anyone game?
NTer tinkerhatfield: aite im game...but youre like 4 sizes too small for me....i have some sz 12 retro ix's i'll definitely put up tho..

Late getting my opinion in here, but I needed to talk about last night's card.

I would give the show a thumbs in the middle. This was definitely not a thumbs up show for me. There was no match that was especially memorable to me. It was still far more entertaining than any WWE show since Backlash (which isn't saying much), but there have been far better MMA cards than UFC 73. I was really hyped up for this card, but it did not live up to the title "Stacked."

Nogueira vs Herring - No, this fight was not fixed. Yes, it was questionable that Herring let Nog up, but I understand that Herring is not all that skilled on the ground and wanted the chance to knock Nog out for good on his feet. If there was more time left in the round, it would have been a better decision. Letting him up with only about 30 seconds was not a good move as he could have just pounded him on the ground to finish the round. Then not attacking immediately in round 2 was just a poor decision. I've never liked Herring. He has knockout power, but not much else. I wasn't overly impressed with Nog either (this was the first time I saw him fight). Overall, a pretty boring fight to start the show.

Sherk vs Franca - Sherk is a monster. He is not especially entertaining (as Florian pointed out), but his size in the lightweight division is just too much for anyone to handle right now. How he survived some of those knees to the head is beyond me. I thought Franca was going to choke Sherk out on at least 2 occasions. I don't think Sherk gets the respect he deserves because of his style, but if he beats BJ in November, he will become a real star.

Ortiz vs Evans - Ortiz looked like he was in a different weight class than Evans. I don't know how these two both weighed in at 204.5 because Ortiz looked at least 20 lbs bigger. Going in, I knew this wouldn't be the most entertaining fight because of their styles, and Tito wouldn't allow Evans to get a highlight reel knockout, but I was still disappointed in this fight. I was hoping to see a little more urgency on Tito's part considering how he could not lose this fight. He didn't use his ground and pound much at all. Evans did nothing to impress me in this fight other than having stamina in the 3rd round (I guess that's where climbing the mountain with Jackson helps him). Ortiz was the better man in this fight. Unless Evans significantly changes his strategy for the next fight, I see Tito winning that one as well.

Silva vs Marquardt - Silva continues to impress me. Marquardt didn't do anything in this fight. Silva has it all. Speed, strength, intelligence, technical skills. His knees are sick. Not much more to say about this fight. I'm looking forward to Silva/Franklin II, but I see the same result. I don't see Silva loosing for some time.

Florian vs Robinson - I had never heard of Robinson. Florian is always impressive. However, he can't beat Sherk. I know you have to be confident, but I don't like him taking shots at Sherk considering he lost to him.

So like I said, thumbs in the middle. Enjoyable, but nothing memorable. Time to look forward to B-Hop vs Winky. Too bad that will probably be a snoorefest.

I agree with 4w. Overall it was enjoyable and a great display of MMA. But no suspense filled fights like previous cards. But you can't really blame the UFC for this. They tried their best and put on an amazing card on paper. It was up to the fighters to put it all on the line..and some of them just didn't do that.

Quote:
- Sherk is a monster. He is not especially entertaining (as Florian pointed out), but his size in the lightweight division is just too much for anyone to handle right now

TEAM DC​
Goooooooooonies​

damn... Silva's a beast.. my favorite MMA fighter right now. lol, was Florian really talking to Sherk during his postfight inteverview??

Quote:
Ortiz looked like he was in a different weight class than Evans. I don't know how these two both weighed in at 204.5 because Ortiz looked at least 20 lbs bigger.

That's what i kept saying.. there's no way they looked the same weight class... Ortiz looked like he was about 215 and Evans looked like he was about 185.

And Ortiz still came at him like a @#%$ for the most part.

Quote:
Silva's a beast

An article posted up on cnnsi.com about the post fight presser. Looks like the bad blood between Ortiz and Dana "It's Good To Be" White is still there considering the harsh but true words at the end of the story:

Quote:
SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- Tito Ortiz walked into the Octagon against Rashad Evans knowing it would be a do-or-die fight at this stage of his career. When it was over, he simply ended up surviving.

While Ortiz dominated much of the fight, he suffered the first draw of his career after grabbing the fence for leverage in the second round. The violation resulted in a one-point deduction and was the difference in a fight the judges scored a 28-28 draw unanimously.

"It wasn't my best performance," said Ortiz, who showed up late to the post fight press conference wearing sunglasses to hide the shiner under his left eye. "Rashad and I can do it again."

After losing to Chuck Liddell last year, Ortiz still has yet to win a fight since beating Ken Shamrock last October and UFC president Dana White confirmed that the third and last fight on Ortiz's current contract would be a rematch against Evans.

The hype for Ortiz-Evans II began early as Ortiz stepped to the podium to address the media towards the end of the press conference. While Ortiz gave Evans credit for his toughness, Evans wasn't having any of it, believing he won the match.

"Tito, you were grabbing the cage the whole fight," said Evans. "Every time I got in on you, you were grabbing the cage [the referee] only called it that one time."

"What about the Vaseline on your arms?" asked Ortiz, almost shocked that the normally subdued Evans was already in trash talk mode for the rematch. "Whatever, it's all right bro, we'll do it again."

The heated discussion, which took place while Ortiz was at the podium and Evans sat on the dais, brought a nervous smile to White's face as he no doubt contemplated where and when the sequal would take place.

"You didn't do nothing, the only thing you did was you took me down and you held me," said Evans. "Take off your glasses. Let your face tell the story."

With that, Ortiz took off his glasses and showed his swollen left eye while his girlfriend Jenna Jameson yelled at Evans to show more sportsmanship in the distance.

"If Rashad wants to sit there and talk [stuff] it's cool," said Ortiz, whose injured back required a couple of cortisone injections two weeks ago. "It'll make the second fight that much more interesting."

Evans still would not let Ortiz off the hook as he tried to field other questions from reporters.

"How about the end of the third round when you laid down there and got pounded like a little [girl]?" asked Rashad.

"How does it feel to be a superstar now after you fought me?" shot back Ortiz.

While Ortiz-Evans II will certainly have more intrigue following the draw and the jawing that has already begun between the two, it did little to return Ortiz to the title contender he was before he lost to Liddell last year. If anything it may have reaffirmed White's belief that Ortiz will never reclaim the light heavyweight crown he dropped to Randy Couture four years ago.

"Chuck Liddell, Randy Couture, Matt Hughes, Rich Franklin, these guys are much more respected fighters than Tito Ortiz," said White. "They're better fighters. Tito isn't that good anymore."[/quot

Quote:
A side note: I've officially lost faith in Greg Jackson as a trainer. Keith gets mauled by Houston Alexander, GSP's 1st round KO to Serra, Diego loses to KOS in one of the most boring fights I've ever seen, and tonight Marquardt gets KTFO by Silva, Bocek was TKO'd and had Tito not grabbed the fence, Rashad would have lost in another boring fight. I think Jackson's famed "game plans" are nothing more than "stay out of trouble and win by decision."
TEAM AM FAM
[email protected]
Sz 9 Miami Vice Pump in Buy/Sell
Sz 9.5 10 Dunk HEAT in Buy/Sell​

Silva is at the top of his game right now but I hope Rich wins. Both of these guys are phenomenal in and out of the ring. Anyone know Silva use to work at Mcdonalds? Be careful next time you rush that guy flipping your burgers

Also, no one saw the preliminary fights? Chris Lytle put dude in an arm bar and triangle at the same time :pimp:
pimp.gif
This happiness is killing her.

www.myspace.com/polyamorousboy3

Fighter payouts. Hopefully this is the real one. Most news sites are using this one.

-Anderson Silva ($90,000) def. Nathan Marquardt ($24,000).
-Sean Sherk ($28,000) def. Hermes Franca ($14,000).
-Tito Ortiz ($210,000) and Rashad Evans ($16,000) fought to a Draw.
-Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira ($200,000) def. Heath Herring ($70,000).
-Kenny Florian ($16,000) def. Alvin Robinson ($3,000).
-Stephan Bonnar ($32,000) def. Mike Nickels ($5,000).
-Jorge Gurgel ($14,000) def. Diego Saraiva ($3,000).
-Chris Lytle ($20,000) def. Jason Gilliam ($3,000).
-Frank Edgar ($10,000) def. Mark Bocek ($3,000).

Total disclosed pay outs: $761,000

This doesn't include under the table bonuses that I'm sure most of these fighters will get.

Latest rumors:

-Maurico Shogun v. Lyoto Machida at UFC 76?

-If Cro Cop beats Congo, his next opponent will be Nogueira.

Sacramento Kings: Fight for the playoffs!

BIG NEWS GUYS:

There is a thread going on in Sherdog about how earlier this morning, the UFC site added in FEATHERWEIGHT and BANTAMWEIGHT under the Title Holders section of the page, the spots were listed as vacant. But soon after, the UFC removed it. I can only assume that they are preparing to add in these 2 divisions and were in the process of integrating it into their media. I really hope this is true because then it would give Jens a chance to become champ again. Also, it'd be a great way for WEC champ Urijah Faber to unite his current title.

Here's the thread.

www.sherdog.net/forums/sh...p?t=601589

Back
Top Bottom