Official N.Y. Yankees 2009 SEASON THREAD (103-59) WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

Like the guy we called up from the minors hes got nice stuff

Finally we broke through, I though we were going to ruin Phils performance. He pitched great, looks like he has his command and the cutter is nice
pimp.gif

roll.gif
how do you not have YES and are a Yanks fan? Unless you have Time Warner or whatever cable company that is that doesn't carry it.

I dunno about yall but they sound so bored to me, and KS laughs at everybody's jokes when they're not all that funny. I guess I have to give em anothertry.

Originally Posted by bkmac

Yankees win a game they needed. Offensive breakout, and a great outing (season debut, at that) for Phil Hughes.
pimp.gif

true 3 blue, Singleton and Cone aren't all that bad. Michael Kay is the clown
roll.gif

Michael Kay, Paul O'Niell and Cone > Kenny Singleton and anyone

my man PHIL EFFIN HUGHES
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

i've always liked him better than joba and today he showcased why. his curveball was just
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
. solid start and i hope he continues this.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

nice to see molina hit a grand salami
pimp.gif

am i the only person that loves it when molina is behind the plate? when he is catching, the pitchers are clearly pitching better than when posada is catching.the only problem with molina is that he doesnt contribute much on the offensive end
tired.gif
but it is what it is...he is the gift and the curse

FINALLY GOT A W!!
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by onewearz

good win, need to build on it, and i'm saying it now joba needs to be in the pen.....

i'm not going to lie...i want joba to be a starter...but after seeing his first couple of starts...it seems like he does belong in the pen. i'm goingto see how he does in the month of may. if i see him struggling then
grin.gif
ihope he hits the pen
tired.gif

but like i said i do want to see him succeed as a starter

i still think phil hughes is a better pitcher than joba though.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

imo joba seems to have lost his swag as a starter, as a reliever dude used to come in throwing cheese , shutting em down. he seems too laid back as a starter.i wanna see the joba that screams after striking out the side again. dude was the heir apparent to Mo, i wanna see him in that role again ........

Well unfortunately he can't pitch in the same way as a SP as a RP seeing as 6-7 innings vs 1 inning.... you have to pace yourself.
That being said, Joba can still be very affective as a SP
And I agree with you..... he needs to get more cocky/have more swag as a SP

I have DISH which doesnt carry YES
frown.gif

I know, I lose at life. Maybe through some miracle I'll see YES on my TV...

Yeah, I do think Molina is a better catcher than Posada these days. Molina calls a better game. It's just that his hitting isn't so great but thatgrand slam will up his swag for a little while. Gotta commend Cashman for giving up essentially nothing (a minor league pitcher) for him.

But I do like Cone...he sometimes says some weird stuff (said Swish was "gettin' froggy out there" when he was pitching against Tampa...Idon't know what that means lol) and that other infamous quote he made about Ian Kennedy being "j___d off the mound" in Kansas City.
roll.gif

David Cone as an analyst >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ron Darling as an analyst.

Originally Posted by briannnnn

But I do like Cone...he sometimes says some weird stuff (said Swish was "gettin' froggy out there" when he was pitching against Tampa...I don't know what that means lol) and that other infamous quote he made about Ian Kennedy being "j___d off the mound" in Kansas City.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

I don't remember the Ian Kennedy quote though.

DirecTV is the way to go
nerd.gif

All I remember was that he was scheduled to pitch in Kansas City that night but they had a rain delay and Girardi ended up sending Brian Bruney to start thegame...then Cone was talking about how bad it must have been for Kennedy to start but then get j'd off the mound because of the delays.

Of course he meant it as him getting pulled off the mound but with Cone, it was a very questionable choice of words, esp given this alleged incident back inhis Mets days where he exposed himself to some female fans
roll.gif

Maaan, we really needed this win, or else things would have had the potential to get really ugly with this coming weekend series. Glad to see the guys had acomplete 180 in regards to knocking in runs, especially cnsidering the bulk of them came with 2 outs. Kinda shut me up after I posted those stats up.
laugh.gif
Hughes really could not have come through bigger and he pitched an awesome game.

Hopefully we can keep this up tomorrow against Porcello, 'cause that kid throws HEAT.

First shutout of the year.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by briannnnn

I have DISH which doesnt carry YES
frown.gif

Yeah, I do think Molina is a better catcher than Posada these days. Molina calls a better game. It's just that his hitting isn't so great but that grand slam will up his swag for a little while. Gotta commend Cashman for giving up essentially nothing (a minor league pitcher) for him.

I like Molina better than Posada defense wise he does call a better game and its like most of the time when i see Posada catching Sabathia its like Posadaalways happens to have passed balls or get crossed up.

Also its not like you need to count on Molina to hit because anything he does with his bat is a plus because his the way he catches alone is good enough youhave others that need to step up even with the injuries.

So far the Yankees have played 70% of their games on the road.... and are 10-10
Not too bad... but not too great.
Would have loved to have seen 12-8.... and probably should be something around 12-8 with a couple games the Yanks could have/should have won.
All in all.... not too bad for the first 20 games considering A-Rod isn't playing yet..... and Wang has been terrible & now hurt

^that's good news...but
Originally Posted by TBONE95860

Well unfortunately he can't pitch in the same way as a SP as a RP seeing as 6-7 innings vs 1 inning.... you have to pace yourself.
No. He needs to use all his pitches and get outs. I could care less about his "swag"

Originally Posted by TBONE95860

I'll be convinced Joba will be a beast of a starter if he has more outings like the one Phil Hughes had tonight.

The only wild card scenario with Joba is.....

WHAT IF Wang is able to come back & be himself...... and Hughes continues to pitch very well.....

Joba back to the pen???

We need to see how Hughes does in his next couple games...let's see if homeboy can be consistent for a stretch and live up to the billing he had twoseasons ago.

As of now, he is the odd man out.

Sorry fellas, I haven't been around as much due to work and all but..

Philthy pitched well last night. Hopefully he can keep it up. We all know how he pitched his first game and then what happened.

I've always been a Joba-should-start guy but after watching Hughes I am leaning towards the bullpen for chamberlain. Unless Joba starts throwing 6 IP 1 ER8-10K type of games, i think maybe he's better suited for the 8th inning, where he actually pitches with those ratios.

Originally Posted by SCuse7

Like the guy we called up from the minors hes got nice stuff
Mark Melancon.. he's
pimp.gif
. Could be Rivera's successorif Joba doesn't wind up there.

Yall kill me w/ this Joba to the pen nonsense!

That's like having a Ferrari and only driving it 2 blocks at a time. This guy has been a starter ALL his life, he's built like that. He has 4pitches...and throws HARD. If he goes back to the pen, after training to become a starter he'll get setback again! It just doesn't make sense to movehim to the pen. Say Phil continues to pitch well, and CMW comes back throwing like he did last year, then you move Joba to the pen (nevermind the fact thatBruney should be back)...then AP or CC gets hurt, then what?! Move Joba back to being a starter?! The decision has been made and I think it's the correctone. No bouncing back and forth w/ the role of a pitcher. Things like that should be established early on, and I'm glad the coaching staff did so.

With all the arm problems he's had in the past, I don't have a good feeling about him lasting a whole season as a starter. While I agree that it'sgood that we made a decision early and are going to stick by it, I really believe it was the incorrect move. That's the difference between a guy like himand David Price. Price has never had arm problems in his life so it's easier to shift him from bullpen to rotation and vice versa. He can go those longinnings and stretches without having to worry about his arm. I'd rather keep Joba in the pen and get him out there for one inning at a time.

Plus if you really think about Joba as the closer for the next 15 years could be quite nice. Papelbon was a starter at first and took his nastiness into theninth inning. I think Joba could potentially be Papelbon x 100

Back
Top Bottom