Official N.Y. Yankees 2010 SEASON THREAD (95-67) WC/ALDS Winners, and that's it =[ ...

bkmac

Banned
(Pitchers and Catchers officially report today, hopefully SKA doesn't lock this one).

New-York-Yankees-World-Series-celeb_2380868.jpg
... This was the result of last season.

The objective this season? #28

Ah, it's about that time again. My NT Yankee brethren (you know who youare). Our off-season thread didn't get much attention (I know myreasoning was because of the Jets, but that's whatever at this point),but with Pitchers and Catchers approaching upon us, it's time to get this thread going.

Just some topics to get us started.
- Who will be our #5 in the rotation, Joba or Hughes?
- What will be Gardner's role come the start of the season?
- How we we fair without Matsui/Damon and with Nick Johnson/Winn (whenever Winn may get playing time).

The 2010 New York Yankees (as of 4/3/2010)

Lineup
Derek Jeter SS
Nick Johnson DH
Mark Teixeira 1B
Alex Rodriguez 3B
Robinson Cano 2B
Jorge Posada C
Curtis Granderson CF
Nick Swisher RF
Brett Gardner LF

Bench
Francisco Cervelli C
Ramiro Pena INF
Marcus Thames OF
Randy Winn OF

Rotation
CC Sabathia LHP
A.J. Burnett RHP
Andy Pettitte LHP
Javier Vazquez RHP
Phil Hughes RHP

Bullpen
Mariano Rivera RHP
Joba Chamberlain RHP
Dave Robertson RHP
Damaso Marte LHP
Chan Ho Park RHP
Alfredo Aceves RHP
Sergio Mitre RHP

The 2010 NYY Minor League Rosters (as of 4/6/2010)
Low-A Charleston (courtesy of Robert Pimpsner)
Catchers: Buck Afenir, Jeff Farnham, Kyle Higashioka, J.R Murphy
Infielders: Carmen Angelini, Garrison Lassiter, Rob Lyerly, Luke Murton, Jose Mojica, Jimmy Paredes
Outfielders: Zoilo Almonte, Kelvin DeLeon, Taylor Grote, DeAngelo Mack, Justin Milo
Pitchers:
Griffin Bailey, Manny Barreda, Sean Black, Gavin Brooks, Caleb Cotham, Ryan Flannery, Shaeffer Hall, Dickie Marquez, Ronny Marte, Kelvin Perez, Jose Ramirez, Wilton Rodriguez, Francisco Rondon, Graham Stoneburner

We’ve got the same problem as Trenton here, too many players for too few spots. I suspect Murphy will start the year in Extended Spring Training before heading to Staten Island when their season starts. Considering Adam Warren and Neil Medchill aren’t listed here, I suspect they’re headed to Tampa.

The outfield is really tooled up with DeLeon, Grote, and Mack, and the infield is going to have some thump with Lyerly and Murton. Paredes will provide the speed, Angelini the errors. This is his last chance to revive his career as a prospect. The ‘09 draft pick heavy pitching staff will probably feature Cotham, Hall, Rondon, Stoneburner, and Ramirez as the starters, with a ridiculously strong power-armed back of the bullpen with Brooks, Black, and Barreda. Charleston’s always a fun team to follow because you can dream on so many of the players, and this year will be no different.

High-A Tampa
Catchers:
Infielders: Walt Ibarra, Emerson Landoni
Outfielders: Jack Rye
Pitchers: Manny Banuelos, Andrew Brackman, Jairo Heredia, Craig Heyer, Hector Noesi, Tim Norton, Adam Olbrychowski, Jon Ortiz, Brad Rulon, Pat Venditte, Ryan Zink

Obviously, this one’s incomplete. Don’t blame me, blame milb.com. Guys like Corban Joseph, Melky Mesa, and Jose Pirela would make sense here, considering their performances at Low-A Charleston last season. We’re just going to have to wait and see here.

Double-A Trenton (courtesy of Mike Ashmore)
Catchers: Jose Gil, Austin Romine
Infielders: David Adams, Neall French, Brandon Laird, Luis Nunez, Kevin Smith, Justin Snyder, Marcos Vechionacci
Outfielders: Dan Brewer, Edwar Gonzalez, Austin Krum, Damon Sublett
Pitchers: Cory Arbiso, Wilkins Arias, Jeremy Bleich, Noel Castillo, Wilkin DeLaRosa, Grant Duff, Chris Garcia, D.J. Mitchell, Lance Pendleton, David Phelps, Ryan Pope, Josh Schmidt, Eric Wordekemper

As Mike mentioned, that’s 26 players for 24 spots, so there’s still some movement to come. Perhaps Schmidt or Wordekemper heads up to Scranton, plus one of the spare infielders (Nunez?). There’s also the possibility of a phantom DL trip.

With Garcia, Pendleton, and Pope, it’s a pretty veteran rotation, guys who’ve been playing pro ball for a few years now. Mitchell and Phelps will get the other spots coming off fantastic years. Romine headlines the position players, but don’t sleep on Brewer or Adams, they can both really hit. The Thunder had trouble pushing runs across at times last year, but that doesn’t seem like it’ll be an issue this year.

Triple-A Scranton
Catchers: Robby Hammock, Chad Moeller, Jesus Montero, P.J. Pilittere
Infielders: Reegie Corona, Juan Miranda, Eduardo Nunez, Kevin Russo
Outfielders: Colin Curtis, Greg Golson, Jon Weber, David Winfree
Pitchers: Jon Albaladejo, Jason Hirsh, Kei Igawa, George Kontos, Boone Logan, Zach McAllister, Mark Melancon, Ivan Nova, Royce Ring, Romulo Sanchez, Amaury Sanit, Kevin Whelan

That’s an unofficial roster, so chances are they’ll add another arm, and maybe another position player or two. Kontos, obviously, is starting the season on the disabled list as he rehabs from Tommy John surgery. The earliest he’ll be back is July or so, and even then he’ll start in the low minors and gradually work his way up.

I suspect the five starters will be (in no particular order) Hirsh, McAllister, Nova, Sanchez, and Igawa, and they’ll be backed up by a really stacked bullpen. Lefties, righties, you name it, manager Dave Miley will have plenty of options out there. Montero will lead the way offensively, but we saw what Weber could do in Spring Training, and Miranda’s spent the last two years tormenting the International League. The top of the order will likely go Russo-Nunez-Montero-Miranda-Weber, and that’s as good as it gets in the bush leagues.

Hughes. He can actually go 6 deep. If Joba goes 4 deep it's considered a miracle. And I don't want Aceves burned out because Joba can't go deep into games consistently. Plus, let Joba go back to his old explosive delivery. It'll make his fastball better, and this way his shoulder won't fall off since he will only be used for ~80 innings a year.

Originally Posted by Biggie62

since he will only be used for ~80 innings a year.
I think the Joba-Rules are no more as of last week actually.

You forgot the most important part of that departing/arriving equation in Curtis Granderson.

And to answer your question, all three will take advantage of the ballpark the same way Damon and Matsui did.  KLJ is on the first page which may be equivalent to the kiss of death
smh.gif

pimp.gif

Can't wait.

Originally Posted by bkmac

Originally Posted by Biggie62

since he will only be used for ~80 innings a year.
I think the Joba-Rules are no more as of last week actually.
I don't care about Joba rules.  Throwing 100 pitches a game will give us an avg of 5.1 innings.  And I'm not willing to deplete our BP for that when his ERA was over 4 last year.  And last year was the first time they didn't baby him and force him to get out of his own jams.

Just in time... it'll be nice to root for a winning NY team for awhile.

Ska didn't unlock the old thread?

Anyway, can't wait to see how the new additions mesh with the team. Hopefully it's an easy transition.

Matsui.
frown.gif

Back
Top Bottom