Official NBA 2012-2013 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
its hard to believe that DPOY cant come from the best defensive team in the NBA...

How it works defensively
Exceptionally well, which is an affirmation of some traditional truths about basketball. Even as the NBA undergoes a radical sea change with respect to size and position, being big is still an asset. Virtually every single night they take the floor, the Pacers’ starters have an enormous advantage -- literally. With the 6-foot-2 Hill replacing the 6-0 Collison in the first unit, the Pacers have legitimate length at all five positions and tower over opponents. Logically enough, this group works its strength.

It’s tough to move downhill against the Pacers in the half court because everywhere an offensive player turns, there are limbs blocking his path. For similar reasons, it’s also difficult to shoot over the top, move off the ball and more generally, find open parking spots anywhere on the floor. As a result, defenses have to work hard to get clean looks against the Pacers’ first unit.

Strong defenses tend to rotate well, but the elite ones don’t have to rotate at all. We can confidently place the Pacers’ starters in that group. Individually, each perimeter player contains his man at the point of attack, while West and Hibbert can handle just about any one-on-one matchup they’re assigned. Hill, Stephenson and George don’t have to worry about finding shooters because they’re already on top of them anytime they’re within a couple of feet. Opponents get fewer than 15 3-point attempts per 48 minutes against this unit (among the most frequently used lineups, only Chicago’s top two units do better), and converting only 31.3 percent of them.

George is a useful case study in why opponents can’t access normally reliable second and third options after the Pacers stop the ball on the first. It’s fun to watch George defend on the weakside. When he’s off the ball covering a stationary player on the perimeter, George will confidently run through a sequence of motions -- move toward the action on the ball side, dance back a couple of steps when a passing lane to his man opens up, cheat again once that window closes but not without a quick look back to make sure his guy hasn’t moved to a different spot where he could hurt the Pacers.

There’s no science to measure off-ball defense, but when you observe a player make every step toward and away from the action with so much purpose, when bad gambles and iffy decision occur so rarely, it becomes easy to understand how a unit is surrendering only 93.6 points per 100 possessions.

Now, is this a case of a wing player like George having the luxury of playing alongside two big men who can handle the pick-and-roll? Or do the big guys excel because they play with a point guard like Hill who can corral opposing point guards and fight over screens when necessary, and wings like George (6-8) and Stephenson (6-5) who can hold their own against attackers who might post up or drive against lesser defenders?

In the case of Indiana’s featured lineup, the answer is both. There’s a mutual benefit between big and small that carries over from the perimeter to the basket area. Guys remain in their area, but Hibbert has a lot to do with that. He rarely leaves the paint, and why should he, because at 7-2 he’s far more effective playing goalie than he would be commuting from the top of the floor off a hard show or jamming a screener.

If a guard is able to beat Hill or Stephenson, Hibbert lies in wait and can contain him with his outstretched arms, all the while shading his man, which allows West or a weakside defender to stay at home. With few open targets surrounding him, the guard now has to find a way to magically deliver the ball to the hoop against a deceptively quick-footed, lurching giant -- and if he gets close enough, probably a second long-armed defender.

West might be even be a worse candidate for exploitation in the pick-and-roll for an offense. West meets the ball handler way up at the top of the floor, then chases down his original matchup (or other big man if Hibbert picks up West’s guy, sometimes the case when it’s a power forward with some skills). This is an exhausting anaerobic workout for a big guy, but the 6-9 West never stops moving for a second. His gift is knowing how to time his departures and arrivals. West can launch an all-out blitz on a point guard if Jason Maxiell is his man. But if he’s guarding someone who could potentially cause some trouble, especially as a popper, West will temper his attack.

There sometimes come a point when a frustrated offense will all but abandon a pick-and-roll attack against the Pacers, which is why you see teams stagnate against them. If you can’t get anything against the pick-and-roll, can’t capably penetrate by isolating your perimeter guys, and if Hibbert is going to confront anyone who gets within 8 feet of the basket, then what do you have?

Finally, with Granger active again, does Vogel take minutes away from this unit to accommodate Granger's return? The more difficult question to answer for Vogel is whether he can afford to.

Yea that's new to me... the most I heard him say was that he didn't know where he was going. One minute he felt NY the next Mia, the next Chicago, the next it was staying put. He didn't decide until the day of.

I heard rumors of him calling someone with the NYK telling them what MIA planned on doing and to see if they could... but that was from NYK fans so... :lol:

I always figured he was leaning towards joining forces with Wade and Bosh after the 08 Olympics. I think announcing his jersey number switch to #6 indicated what he was contemplating (I realize that borders on conspiracy theory but considering he ended up in Miami, it's a bit fishy)

That and the reports of camera crews filming all their free agency visits (Bosh's at least) made me think they were all leaning towards it, and they wanted to film the "historical" moment. I always figured we'd see some documentary chronicling the "epic" formation of the Heat, but maybe they shelved it because of all the negative backlash they were getting.

Last edited:
I still think Tim Duncan should get it. This isnt the MVP award, we can have a little bit of leeway when it comes to minutes or games played IMO.
What a shock.
laugh.gif

Certainly the player that plays the least minutes and the fewest games of any of the other players is the best defensive guy. The way he defends while on the bench, and how the team's defense keeps right on goin while he doesn't even dress clearly shows how great he's been.
laugh.gif
But his impact whilst on the floor was far above what anyone else was doing at the time. He is in fact the best defensive player this year, I'm not saying that it should be totally disregarded, but the threshhold for it shouldnt be as low as it is for what it is for an award like MVP.

Hes only missed 10 games at the moment, if he crosses the 18-20 game mark, then sure wipe him out. We arent going to sit here and fault him for lack of minutes either, its not his fault he doesnt have to play alot cause the team is always dominating. Back when the Clippers were on that 17 game win streak Paul was playing around 30 minutes a game cause they were always blowing teams out, and people were using that as a means to praise him, not discredit him.

Last edited:
Marc or Noah will or should win it.

Duncan is right up there as well, but the minutes thing comes up with him. It did with Tony Allen before and he didn't win. So, that probably leaves Marc or Noah.

Last edited:
Lebron didnt have some type of change of heart :lol:

dude knew he was going to miami.

NY was never in the conversation :lol: let it go.

I've been saying for a minute, Derrick Williams needs to get out of Minnesota.

He's better off here I think than being looked upon to do most of the work in Orlando or Charlotte. He can play back up to Love. He plays okay next to Cunnigham and Stiesma who hardly plays because of certain match ups, Adelman said. I think he needs to work on his shot selection and from the perimeter and mid range. He just need to attack.

Lebron didnt have some type of change of heart :lol:

dude knew he was going to miami.

NY was never in the conversation :lol: let it go.

The dude knew he was going to take less money to play with Wade or Bosh, wherever that place may have been, he was going. Wade just knew it was better to involve Riley early, and make James and Bosh come to them.

Wade and Riley were planning this since 2008, that's why the Knicks, Nets, or any other team never thought it would have been possible to sign all three. The rest of the teams never thought these three dudes would be taking pay cuts to play together, so they never made that pitch. But Pat Riley and Wade knew.

The era affects of AAU basketball hit hard that summer. Haha.

Yea that's new to me... the most I heard him say was that he didn't know where he was going. One minute he felt NY the next Mia, the next Chicago, the next it was staying put. He didn't decide until the day of.

I heard rumors of him calling someone with the NYK telling them what MIA planned on doing and to see if they could... but that was from NYK fans so... :lol:

Dude it was plan all along..Wade bron, bosh knew what they were gunna do for a LONG time

thats what I always felt. Not that it matters to them, but that was my only problem with free agency that year. Those dudes held up the rest of the FAs doing those interviews with teams they knew they wouldn't sign with. Why not just start the FA period with a bang with all three doing a joint press conference??

My Bullies were so dumb they interviewed Wade after he called the team out for loyalty. Could any logical person believe he gonna sign with a team after he threw rocks at the stadium?:smh:

I also believe LeBron knew all along he was going to Miami. Everything else was just an attention seeking dog-and-pony show. That's why it never bothered me at the time that the Clippers seemed to put the least amount of effort into recruiting LeBron among the teams he talked to.

The Pacers are taking a game-to-game approach in determining how many minutes Granger will play. “As far as leading the team in scoring, that doesn’t matter to me,” Granger said. “I’ve done that. I just want to win. It doesn’t matter how I score. David and Paul have been hand in and hand together in leading the team. We started off slow, but David kind of carried us, then Paul carried us up through the All-Star Game. You can’t say enough about what they’ve done.” Indianapolis Star

Russell Westbrook works out with Derrick Rose in the offseason and believes the Chicago Bulls' guard has looked better and better as he rehabilitates his torn ACL.

"I see that he's getting better," Westbrook said Sunday. "He's almost close to coming back."

Rose was shown dunking in stride during ESPN's broadcast of the Oklahoma City Thunder's blowout win over the Bulls on Sunday.

Via K.C. Johnson/Chicago Tribune

Last edited:
Rondo

:pimp:

Rajon Rondo is out for the season with a torn ACL, but that doesn't mean we have to stop enjoying Rajon Rondo profiles. The latest comes from Lee Jenkins and Sports Illustrated, and while the full profile's not online yet, various highlights have already hit the web. For instance: Did you know Rajon Rondo is the Gary Kasporov of Connect Four?

Rest of Article in Link

535475_10151277352531898_985772272_n.jpg

how come Tony Allen or Iggy havent ever been mentioned?

Paul George either? You would think that one of the players from the #1 defensive team in the NBA would get a mention
what have allen or iggy done this year to be in the DPOY talk? you just wanted a reason to bring george in this convo

TD,Noah and marc gasol.

but it wont shock me at all when the media pushs bron for it.

how come Tony Allen or Iggy havent ever been mentioned?

Paul George either? You would think that one of the players from the #1 defensive team in the NBA would get a mention

what have allen or iggy done this year to be in the DPOY talk? you just wanted a reason to bring george in this convo

TD,Noah and marc gasol.

but it wont shock me at all when the media pushs bron for it.

false, I could easily bring Paul George into it without those other names, considering that he is the best defensive player on the best defensive team in the league.

As mentioned by someone before, I don't think it was a coincidence that LeBron just happened to announce that he was changing his # and that #23 should be retired by every team and then he signed with the only team besides the Bulls that have Jordan's 23 retired. He wasn't going to be able to wear it in Miami anyways so he tried to spin it like he was respecting MJ after he wore the # for like 8 years :lol:

Lol now everyone here knew he was going to Miami.

It wasn't the fact NY showed up with a powerpoint or anything.

I for one didn't think Miami was a possibility until that day before when it was floated

out they were in the mix, when he said "South Beach" I was shocked as hell.

Yall some psychics.

Lol now everyone here knew he was going to Miami.

It wasn't the fact NY showed up with a powerpoint or anything.

I for one didn't think Miami was a possibility until that day before when it was floated

out they were in the mix, when he said "South Beach" I was shocked as hell.

Yall some psychics.

um no one claimed to know he was going there.

WE are saying he had already made up his mind way before free agency that he was going to Miami and thats it. there was no other option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom