Official NBA 2012-2013 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So sick of the spurs man
Most annoying team next to the Heat in Basketball
tired.gif

Ehh wrong, bron can guard him but that will also wear lebron *** down too quick & probably make him less effective on the offensive end.It wouldnt even make sense to put bron on him in the 1st place, bosh or haslem are solid enough

There are maybe 2 big men in the league who can guard zbo, the guy is a beast, Lebron would get handled, but then again if zbo tried to guard lebron, zbo would get destroyed, bosh cant guard zbo either, put bosh on gasol and throw birdman or haslem on zbo. IMO the x factor in that series would be conley, that would be a great series if it were to happen.

How is Lee even playing right now lol

I don't know, but speaking of Lee, if I was GSW, I would seriously consider shopping him in the offseason. Getting rid of his contract will improve their chances of re-signing both Thompson and Barnes long term when their rookie deals are up. Between Bogut and Barnes, they'll make up for Lee's production.

Stop it.

You're mistaking not being Mike D'Antoni with being a strong defensive coach.
I just don't understand how you guys can so obsessively find reasons to blame everyone except for J.R. and Melo.  It's like you have a pathological obsession with low-efficiency chuckers.

Also, per Woodson, I mean.  He's better than many coaches in the league.  That's the standard I would use for calling him "good" or "bad".  Obviously he should have played Copeland and Novak,.. no idea what he was thinking.

I mean, look what the Nets were working with, with PJ

You're very confused.

We all blamed JR and Melo for letting the Celtics series go to 6. It's just we still blame JR for being a cancer to everything that is basketball right now.

But it's ignorant to put more than just some blame on Melo. He's not LeBron. His limitations came out in full effect. He doesn't get his teammates easier shots, but he does move the ball when asked on, and can play with a team. It's just so many Knicks let this team down. Jason Kidd retired when Sheed did. Felton mostly left his game behind in the Celtics series. Tyson has been terrible. K-Mart has quietly been mediocre. Woodson has played better defense on Prigioni and Copeland, than any Pacer could.

There's no story here. People badly want there to be a story, but it was so many things at once, that no one can even really figure out how to talk about it.

The Knicks before JR elbowed JET would've stood a better chance against Miami than these Pacers.

Honest question, but why do people feel like the elbow was the turning point for the Knicks/JR Smith in the playoffs? He's a streaky player...not exactly the model of consistency. This is the same dude who was out watching the Mayweather fight at 40/40 the night/morning before a 3:30 tip. It's obvious he can't handle playing ball in the city.

That's WHY people keep bringing up the JR elbow. There was a story if the Celtics had come back and beat the Knicks. A great, amazing, for the ages story of failure. But here...there's nothing. That's why people are grasping at something that happened last series. Paul George and Roy Hibbert didn't rise up as the new Kobe and Shaq. There's no new pillar in the East. No spectacular plays happened.

Melo didn't shoot us out of games. And JR, for all his terribleness, has been kinda decent on defense, and hasn't taken THAT many shots, albeit, almost all of them terrible. The refs maybe haven't called fouls in the paint, but that's now why the Knicks are losing. It's plain and simple chemistry and teamwork. When the shots are falling, the chemistry is great, the defense gets hyped and the Knicks get going. When Felton isn't shooting so well. And Shump is hurt. And Kidd and JR have so little confidence, you might as well pull someone out of the stands, this team dies. And when the coach just keeps that stupid look on his face instead of looking to the rest of his bench, it's hopeless.

There's no story here. It's not the great downfall of Melo, and JR is who we thought he was. He's gonna be the scapegoat, but it wasn't his defense that hurt us. It was combined failure across the board, and Mike Woodson, not keeping anyone in line at all. Where was the rebounding and boxing out? That's how you double? Those are your rotations? You can't tell that one guy is hot and another isn't?

This reminds me of the Magic beating the Cavs in 09, except LeBron at least played great. Melo played decent, and yes, replace him with Durant and the Knicks are probably winning, but Durant is a better player. The Knicks are more talented, but the Pacers are a better team from the coaching to the chemistry to the trust to the maturity to the habits and roleplaying.

I don't know, but speaking of Lee, if I was GSW, I would seriously consider shopping him in the offseason. Getting rid of his contract will improve their chances of re-signing both Thompson and Barnes long term when their rookie deals are up. Between Bogut and Barnes, they'll make up for Lee's production.
they also got jefferson and beidries coming off the books in a year i believe

If you like Iso-centric offense, with a touch of stagnant pick and rolls, Mike Woodson is your guy.

+ like Big J mentioned, the undying loyalty to certain guys no matter what.

It's kind of funny though...the element of their offense that actually worked this season was derived from his predecessor's playbook.

When it comes to coaching personalities and having the vets' respect...Woodson is a good fit for the team. On the X's and O's side of things, he sucks.

Yup. He managed to do 3 things that gave him all that praise:
--make the players (Melo) not hate him.
--actually practice defense.
--get JR to act right for a while.

After that, he just ran D'antoni's offense...until the playoffs.

Last edited:
I know the Knicks had a terrible record vs. the Bulls this year, but I think as things are standing, they would have matched up better w/ Chicago.

As far as the future, what would you do if you were the GM?

You're not ready for "what I would do" I don't want to start breaking my fellow Knicks fans hearts. I'll hold judgement until the series is over and it's been a couple days at least.

But if we're not trying to suck 3 years from now for another 10 years, moves need to be made.

This this this.

Lee's numbers are very misleading and make him look like a far bigger factor than he is plus his defense is horrific. Not to say he's not a very good player because he is but Barnes/Thompson > Lee. Only thing that worries me is Boguts health in the future

You're very confused.

We all blamed JR and Melo for letting the Celtics series go to 6. It's just we still blame JR for being a cancer to everything that is basketball right now.

But it's ignorant to put more than just some blame on Melo. He's not LeBron. His limitations came out in full effect. He doesn't get his teammates easier shots, but he does move the ball when asked on, and can play with a team. It's just so many Knicks let this team down. Jason Kidd retired when Sheed did. Felton mostly left his game behind in the Celtics series. Tyson has been terrible. K-Mart has quietly been mediocre. Woodson has played better defense on Prigioni and Copeland, than any Pacer could.

There's no story here. People badly want there to be a story, but it was so many things at once, that no one can even really figure out how to talk about it.
That's WHY people keep bringing up the JR elbow. There was a story if the Celtics had come back and beat the Knicks. A great, amazing, for the ages story of failure. But here...there's nothing. That's why people are grasping at something that happened last series. Paul George and Roy Hibbert didn't rise up as the new Kobe and Shaq. There's no new pillar in the East. No spectacular plays happened.

Melo didn't shoot us out of games. And JR, for all his terribleness, has been kinda decent on defense, and hasn't taken THAT many shots, albeit, almost all of them terrible. The refs maybe haven't called fouls in the paint, but that's now why the Knicks are losing. It's plain and simple chemistry and teamwork. When the shots are falling, the chemistry is great, the defense gets hyped and the Knicks get going. When Felton isn't shooting so well. And Shump is hurt. And Kidd and JR have so little confidence, you might as well pull someone out of the stands, this team dies. And when the coach just keeps that stupid look on his face instead of looking to the rest of his bench, it's hopeless.

There's no story here. It's not the great downfall of Melo, and JR is who we thought he was. He's gonna be the scapegoat, but it wasn't his defense that hurt us. It was combined failure across the board, and Mike Woodson, not keeping anyone in line at all. Where was the rebounding and boxing out? That's how you double? Those are your rotations? You can't tell that one guy is hot and another isn't?

This reminds me of the Magic beating the Cavs in 09, except LeBron at least played great. Melo played decent, and yes, replace him with Durant and the Knicks are probably winning, but Durant is a better player. The Knicks are more talented, but the Pacers are a better team from the coaching to the chemistry to the trust to the maturity to the habits and roleplaying.

Good response.

I just never got why people are quick to put the blame solely on JR. There are a lot of things wrong with the Knicks right now, but it's not just one player. I just don't know what they can do going forward to remedy the roster. It seems like a mess. Garden will be live for game 5...but you know the fans will be tense and won't be afraid to get on the players (early) if things aren't going right.

I was want JVG in Brooklyn.

We're not getting the zen master.

Shaw intrigues me, but I always wondered why he didn't get a shot at the lakers job.
Nets should hire Shaw.  Give a young guy a chance to build an identity there.  Van Gundy was overrated, frankly...  Bad offensive coach.  Watching his Rockets was a travesty with the talent they had, and they improved tremendously as soon as Adelman came on.

Apparently neither Van Gundy is on the Nets list... As of now they are targeting Shaw, Rivers, Skiles, & Hollins as their top choices. Rivers is a stretch because I don't see Ainge letting him talk to us & even if he did, to work something out would seem like a huge process. Hollins would be a good coach, he's been good with some of his young talent over the years (but has trouble with others, ie O.J. & currently Ed Davis), he's gotten success out of a lot of his players, & he has his team play tough & play defense. But with all the success he has had in Memphis, it would be a surprise to see them let him walk this off season when his contract expires. I like Skiles, he also brings a tough mentality in. Shaw has been praised for his ability to help develop young guys & we have a lot of young players that could help be the present & future of this team (Brooks, Toko, Mirza, Taylor, etc). Should be interesting to see who they go with

Last edited:
You're not ready for "what I would do" I don't want to start breaking my fellow Knicks fans hearts. I'll hold judgement until the series is over and it's been a couple days at least.

But if we're not trying to suck 3 years from now for another 10 years, moves need to be made.
you keepin or shippin melo?

I'm interested in what you have to say on this...I'll be on the lookout for your plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom