Official NBA 2012-2013 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
VDN: Terrible HC.

Injuries: Blake, Billups.

Perceived veteran leadership and deep bench: Barnes and Crawford were solid, but LO and Hill never fulfilled the expected impact.

DeAndre Jordan: Regression.

Is it just me, or does anyone else have an issue when a player of CP3s calibur changes teams more than once? It just devalues his legacy IMO, and yeah that doesnt mean much in his mind cause hes trying to win, it bothers me a bit.

Weak supporting cast in New Orleans.

Even worse HC in Los Angeles.

Houston would be sick if they didn't already pay out Jeremy Lin, James Harden, and Omer Asik.

Is it just me, or does anyone else have an issue when a player of CP3s calibur changes teams more than once? It just devalues his legacy IMO, and yeah that doesnt mean much in his mind cause hes trying to win, it bothers me a bit.

Ehh cp3 is different since he got screwed out of the lakers. Which I'm sure he would have stayed with.

in b4 lebron.

in the day and age we live in, its something we have to deal with, i dont blame players for wanting to win or wanting the most money.

i only have a problem when they put strangle holds on the franchises (i only want to get traded here, etc )

I would still clean Kendrick Perkin's house out, list and sell it on the real estate market, pack, and drive him to the airport if you were going to trade me Jordan for him, assuming contracts weren't taken into account although Jordan really only makes 2 mil more per yr.

The Kings are about to have a HC vacancy. With Vivek Ranadive coming from the Warriors, I hope Mike Malone is on his way down the 80

*Wishful Thinking*

LOLZ @ the Clipper excuses...That team was the deepest in the league I thought, now they didn't have the right pieces.

Melo will never win a championship as the guy as long as LeBron is around and prolly even if he wasn't But most players aren't able to do that so constantly using that as the crux of your "Melo is overrated" convo is tiring. Like we get it, he's a black hole, he should be a better finisher, he doesn't try hard on D. Everyone knows these things but its the same parade of clowns who come here time in time after a Knicks loss. You guys add nothing to the convo its all just "When is Melo gonna lead?" or "Say the right things." **** is clownish.

Explain how he is the problem? He was one of the 5 best players in the NBA this year. His second option this year was JR Smith. D'antoni had almost ran Amar'e into the ground by the time he got there as RavageBX said, they never really had an honest chance together to pull if off. If you don't think Melo could co-exist with other superstars I'd say you are a moron. He could play off the ball more and get way more open looks which for one of the best shooters in the league would only help him even more.

I don't think Melo can win a championship as the "Main guy" but as one of the guys on a Celtic or Heat type squad? Sure. That won't happen on this current roster or even prolly with the Knicks since its prolly down-hill for us from here but you guys just like to talk in hyperbole and stupid proclamations without really actually exploring the situation.

I don't have a problem with it. If a GM won't adequately support a superstar with talent, what's his incentive to stay?

I feel the same way, but players in the NBA have a different mentality than they used to and loyalty to a particular team has taken a back seat to getting in the best situation to win a ring.

And if the players is successful after making a move, that's generally what gets remembered. Like Shaq after he went to the Lakers and even LeBron now. There will always be some people that hold it against LeBron that he bailed on the Cavs to join Wade and Bosh, but for most of population and especially the media, the move has only improved LeBron's standing.

Last edited:

Nope because he got traded to the Clippers. Donald Sterling is a bad owner, so I cant see the Clippers ever being the class of the NBA

Last edited:
Loyalty is overrated. It's a business.

Malone should play a smart hand by hand picking the organization he becomes HC of. There will be options after this playoff run.

I hear you, but it's not like he's reached Gary Payton status as a PG and is out there ring chasing. 

Loyalty is overrated. It's a business.

Malone should play a smart hand by hand picking the organization he becomes HC of. There will be options after this playoff run.

Not trying to be a smart-*** but this is like the 6th time you've brought up Malone's name. What makes you think he's going to be such a great coach? (Not saying he won't be. I don't know much about him)

Melo rebounds well for a small forward. He can be your number one option and get you a ring, he just needs a consistent number 2 and a coach that actually runs an offense instead of saying hey melo, just shoot like woodson does.

How many more 2nd fiddles will he have in his career before people realize that HE is the problem? I don't see him being a guy who can carry a team to a championship. Amar'e, for all purposes, has been a good soldier during his time in NY. As a matter of fact, didn't he even say he has no problem being the #2 as long as the team was winning? Why is it that no one can elevate their games with Melo on the floor? Regular season is one thing, but in the playoffs he gets exposed.

Melo doesn't make his teammates better. He tried that point-forward thing with Pringles and his turnovers shot straight up. But he can pass and he does move the ball when asked on. His problem is, he depends on smart guards and good perimeter shooting. He's used to throwing the ball to Kidd, Prigioni, Shump, JR and Felton, and having them attack, shoot, rotate the ball or find the open man.

That's gotten a lot tougher since the Celtics figured our team out. Woodson loves isos. He thinks it's still high school, where all you have to do is get 1 pick, then try to take your man 1 on 1. The key to Melo's season has been backing down smaller defenders, pulling bigs out to the arc, and passing out of the double team. Doc figured, if I don't double him, I don't believe his teammates are good enough to get shots without it being 4 on 3. If I trust that Pablo won't shoot and Kidd can't shoot, I just have to stay at home on drives to the basket and scare off the corner 3. If Felton, Shump and JR make tough one on one shots or finish at the rim, live with it.

That's why I said before this series, we were in trouble, because the Pacers could just follow the Celtics plans, but do it better. Woodson doesn't know what to do when the double doesn't come. And he especially can't see that when your guards are building brickhouses, someone has to rebound. No one can get open, because Paul George is all-defense for a reason. Melo's having trouble posting him up and backing him down, because of his length, but that doesn't really matter, since there's no one to pass to out of the post-up.

You wanna know where his assists went? Ask Jason Kidd. **** JR. Forget whatever JR is doing. Ask Jason Kidd what happened to the offense. And Ask Mike Woodson why he's had 2 weeks and can't figure out that he needs to run plays if the Pacers decide not to double. And that his old plan of, "I'm confused, so I'll wheel Kidd out there to be the offensive coach" stops working when he can't shoot for his life, JR sucks, Tyson's boxed out and no one is open.

Melo plays struggle basketball, like he hasn't learned anything in a decade, but there's no one out there. Woodson is just a less hateable George Karl, and Melo has always had focusing issues. In that when he has the ball, he focuses. When he doesn't, he doesn't. So when the offense is dying and the only play is, hopefully Melo, Felton, Shumpert and JR can beat their man, everyone starts missing rotations. It's bad offense creating bad defense. You're trying to get a big picture on Melo's career, in the wrong way.

Bring up those 3 coaches to anyone, and tell me you wouldn't laugh. I'm not saying everyone needs Phil, but everyone needs someone responsible and sensible. Someone who makes adjustments and isn't guaranteed to get outcoached time and again. We got outcoached by the Celtics, but they didn't have enough scoring and ballhandling the first 3 games. We've been outcoached every game by the Pacers, it's just in game 2, they took their foot off the gas and we caught fire.

Woodson got very far on actually practicing defense for a change and having the players like him.
Which are two things no coach has been able to do in New York in a decade.

Just, tell me Mike Woodson isn't the worst coach left in the playoffs.

And that's with Doc, Carlisle, Adelman, Phil, Sloan, SVG all at home.

Last edited:
did i just see a dude say melo was a top 5 player i can think of 8 guys off my head i'd rather have than melo

Last edited:
any truth to the CP3/blake griffin beef?

They say no, for whatever that's worth. I don't think they dislike each other, but they do get frustrated with each other on the court sometimes. But they say its not anything beyond what happens on every team. Plus, Blake has been pretty vocal about saying he wants CP to re-sign with the Clippers. I guess we'll find out soon though.

Sixers are very high on Malone, and that pleases me immensely.

He built a strong relationship with CP3 under Monty in NOLA. A linchpin to Paul's long-term commitment.

Malone also has playoff experience from Cleveland's runs during the LeBron phase.

As much credit as Mark Jackson and Steph will get for GS' improbable run, Malone is the man behind the curtains as lead assistant.

I'm confident he will be far more successful in the league than other recycled HC products. Shaw as well, to a lesser extent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom