Official NBA 2012-2013 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
JA, my thing is....will OJ be the 2nd or 3rd option? To me, it seems like Dirk is #1 and Kaman #2. I'm trying to figure out why OJ's minutes are around that 24-26 mark. Yes, I know its preseason, but Carlisle played 3 of his starters 30+ minutes last game and ended up playing Collison and Brand 30+ today. Is it due to the fact that you all have an overload at the guard position?
I know its early, but I never liked the fit with OJ in Dallas. I think he fell in love with the fact that Carlisle was coaching the team, more so than looking at an overall fit. At the same time, he took a paycut and he may not even get his shine on like he could have on a weaker team. Not to mention, he wants to be a PG really bad and Billups is one of his favorite players. So, why would he go to Dallas just to play SG under Carlisle? Did Carlisle promise him a chance at PG?

As an outsider I'm wary of how the Mavs will come together, if only because most of the major-minute players will be new. The team wasn't exactly "thrown together" but they did need to go out and fill most spots with what was available on a drying market, then scored the Collison trade to fill the last hole. With that said Collison, Marion, Dirk and Kaman seem like good fits with each other, but the Mayo position may not work out for those who expected him to be the starter.

Eventually I can picture Carlisle going with VC or Delonte or Dahntay (who I can see him liking) and OJ ending up with a similar role to his Grizzly days, if not less.

Last edited:
JA, my thing is....will OJ be the 2nd or 3rd option? To me, it seems like Dirk is #1 and Kaman #2. I'm trying to figure out why OJ's minutes are around that 24-26 mark. Yes, I know its preseason, but Carlisle played 3 of his starters 30+ minutes last game and ended up playing Collison and Brand 30+ today. Is it due to the fact that you all have an overload at the guard position?
I know its early, but I never liked the fit with OJ in Dallas. I think he fell in love with the fact that Carlisle was coaching the team, more so than looking at an overall fit. At the same time, he took a paycut and he may not even get his shine on like he could have on a weaker team. Not to mention, he wants to be a PG really bad and Billups is one of his favorite players. So, why would he go to Dallas just to play SG under Carlisle? Did Carlisle promise him a chance at PG?

OJ is probably the most proven guard in the rotation. I don't see the lack of minutes as a sign that things aren't right for OJ. Things don't happen overnight.

If there was something that was glaringly obvious about the game today, is that there was a lack of an offensive leader on the team. Carlisle wants him to be that. Yeah, he has been timid in his first pre-season game, but there just needs to be more consistency from him, and that won't happen in the pre-season.

Carlisle is one of the biggest coaches that doesn't really believe in having a certain number of forwards/guards/centers in the game. He wants play-makers in the game. That's why we ended games so often with JET/Kidd/Barea. Today, he had Darren, OJ, Cunningham, Wince, and Brand out there.

I'm not going to sit here and worry about OJ's development until the All-Star Break. He'll have ups. He'll have some very-low downs, but that comes with the territory of being given a shot to help lead the team. I said it before, when Dirk and Nash first got the reigns in Dallas, they both struggled heavily. If it takes a year but shows promise, so be it.

I've been saying for awhile Juice is a complimentary player (evident his second season) and not the start he was hyped to be.

He'll be most effective running off screens and pin downs a la Ray Allen and Kyle Korver.

Last edited:
Did Selby get any clock?

Nope. He's nursing an ankle sprain. I think he's recovered and practicing, but they took precaution by not playing him. He should play the next game, though.

Wroten being who rookie Wroten should be. Completely out of control, but made some good plays. Flip Murray still getting buckets :lol:

Last edited:
Flip Murray is back??? 
nthat.gif

forgot Rip was still on the Bulls. Maybe he will beast this season with Rose out? that would be cool to see :nerd:

I still don't believe in him handling the ball often anytime soon, but Austin Rivers hasn't turned the ball over yet in 54 minutes of sloppy preseason play.

22 (9-18), 9, 1 and 1 in 29 minutes for AD.

what's with the rock throwing by the grizzlies with time on the clock?

I have no idea. Wroten should've pulled it back out and looked for another player instead of shooting that 3. This is why he will be in the d league this year.

Jordan looked good tonight. He just may get picked up if he can continue.

Open Court, specifically Charles Barkley is saying all the things I've been saying about Lebron on here this entire summer.

Phil did too.

Still a good deal. It could be worse, the Celtics signed Jeff Green for 4 years/$36m to be their 6th man and he's nowhere near as good as Anderson.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom