Kareem
Shaq
Kobe
Lebron
Bird
Hakeem

Over Duncan easily

You can argue how good he is compared to KG and Dirk IMO

He's not my personal favorite, but Duncan was a pretty good ways better than those two.

Duncan’s not even top 5 though

MJ
Magic
Kareem
Shaq
Kobe
Lebron
Bird
Hakeem

Over Duncan easily

You can argue how good he is compared to KG and Dirk IMO

This list is ***. Statistically Duncan had a better career than Kobe.

... and I'm a Kobe fan.

IMG_0263.JPG

kyrie_clutch_three.0.gif

2 days to tip off

Watching some of these highlight videos it seems like they're too lenient with the assists now.Pass then takes a hesitation two dribble then step back they still count that as an assist.
Now?

Been that way since Stockton was chasing the assist record

CP3 in NO, it was abused

Watching some of these highlight videos it seems like they're too lenient with the assists now.Pass then takes a hesitation two dribble then step back they still count that as an assist.

Discount Assists

In the Wall Street Journal, David Biderman writes an important article detailing why many NBA people don't care all that much about assists.

He outlines some of the problems:

• For reasons that are unclear, a notably higher percentage of baskets come with assists today than did decades ago. Is it pure inflation, or is there a real change in basketball? (David Berri is quoted in this article making a fascinating case that players missed more in the past, meaning a higher percentage of plays ended in unassisted putbacks, for instance.)
  • There are not clear guidelines about what an assist is, and nobody knows if it's an assists if the scorer fakes, dribbles, steps, or anything else between catching the ball and scoring.
  • Assists are subject to the human judgment of home team employees, and -- surprise surprise -- home teams tend to get a more generous allotment of assists.
Feels kind of cheap, doesn't it?

Biderman writes:

For nine of the NBA's 30 teams, the gap between road and home assists performance is at least 8%. Denver's spread was the biggest: more than 17% at home.

Teams employ statistician crews of five to eight people. The official scorer, game clock-operator and 24-second clock-operator are guaranteed courtside seats, but the three to five people who enter information -- including assists -- into a league-wide computer program, often aren't. ...

Until the early 1970s, most teams were awarded assists on about half of the field goals they made in a given game. That number jumped to 60% by the end of that decade and has hovered around that level ever since. (Last season, the average team was given assists on 58.4% of their made field goals.)

A few other quotes from the story:

• Justin Kubatko: "At some point along the line, the way a scorekeeper viewed an assist dramatically changed."
  • Oscar Robertson: "These guys want to promote the game and make it about new stats and new records. They don't want yesterday's stars to be today's stars."
  • Jeff Bower, Hornets GM: "If you only look at that you're going to miss a lot."
  • Steve Nash: "During the game you don't know if you're getting credit or not, so I don't really care."
In the information age, people are more and more interested in tracking, slicing and dicing things different ways. The NBA can be forgiven, for now, for only tracking the excessively basic statistics that are in the box score.

But to track so little -- compared to what its own teams believe really matters -- and then to have a whole category of that be so loosey-goosey ... that seems like the kind of thing that needlessly alienates a key constituency: Smart people who watch very closely.

Bryant virtually had two peaks

I went to sleep having it with the green and Duncan comp and I wake up reading more garbage that wades peak>Bryant's

I've had it with this pre season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom