OFFICIAL NBA 2K17 Thread | Available Now

I got Xbox so not to sure how the recording works on PS4 but if you're able to record the full game that's even better.

For 1v1s that be clutch but say if you play 2s or 3s you can just screen shot the end of the game. It'll show a screen with all starters and gamertags who played in the match

RE: Defensive Matchups. I strongly suggest NOT using "gap" for Off-Ball for Bigs that are strong offensive rebounders but aren't scorers/shooters. You have to keep a body on them, at minimum, keep the off-ball pressure at MODERATE

I need to put my thoughts down on paper so here is how I approach my Defensive Matchups

Smalls: Guards/Wings
Bigs: Posts

On-Ball Pressure
Gap: Smalls/Bigs: Complete Non-Shooters (Tony Allen)
Moderate: Smalls: Decent Shooters (In the Low 70s for mid and/or 3s) Bigs: Decent Shooters
Tight: Smalls/Bigs: Good Shooters with Solid Handle
Smother: Smalls/Bigs: Good Shooter that can't dribble

Off-Ball Pressure
Gap: Smalls/Bigs: Complete Non-Shooters (Tony Allen) Bigs: Complete Non-Threats that are also with weak OREB
Moderate: Smalls: Decent Shooters (In the Low 70s for mid and/or 3s) Bigs: Decent Shooters and/or decent OREB
Tight: Smalls/Bigs: Good Shooters with solid athleticism
Deny: Smalls/Bigs: Good Shooters with low athleticism (To prevent backdoor cuts)

Force Direction
I send EVERYTHING/EVERYONE baseline

On-Ball Screen
Go Over: Shooters
Go Under: Non-Shooters that can Slash
Switch: Depends on which team you are using
Ice: Non-Shooters that aren't strong slashers either (Rubio)

Off-Ball Screen
Go Over: Shooters (Even though I don't really use this setting for Bigs that can shoot since they most likely wouldn't be running off of screens. If it is someone like Dirk/Steve Novak I would since they essentially played like Tall Small Forwards)
Go Under: Non-Shooters
Switch: Depends on the team you are using

3/4 Top: Post-Threats (This is essentially the "Send Baseline" of Post Defense)
3/4 Bottom: I personally never use it, nor do I see why one would give up the middle. If someone can explain, I would appreciate it.
Front: vs. Prime Shaq/Wilt/Kareem: Someone you simply can't stop. I would only use this in conjunction with DOUBLE POST on the CATCH. This setting forces a lob over the defender but if he catches it, it is a instant bucket. So also activate POST DOUBLE on the CATCH if you select FRONT.

Double Team Perimeter
On Catch: You want this player to give the ball up as soon as he catches it.
On Drive: You want to limit driving opportunities. If the player has decent shooters around him, this might be trouble. Pick your poison.
Manual: You call the doubles on the fly

Pre-Rotate
Yes: You are sending a weakside defender into the paint to help-off of their assignment, to prevent a potential drive on the ball-handler
No: The help will simply come after a player is blown by off the dribble

Screen Help Rules
Help and No Rotation: If you feel that you need a defender (that isn't involved in the on-ball screen) to step over from the weakside to help stop the action, select this option. You are essentially loading up the strong side to create a wall to stop this player
No Help: Under no circumstance will there be help
Auto: The CPU will decide when and when not to help

Help Rules
Help: Off-ball defender will LEAVE his assignment to overhelp on ball-handler. Think of what the Lakers were doing vs. Rondo in the finals. I personally don't use this because I can't control who I can help OFF of. It just ends up giving open scoring opportunities. I keep this setting on AUTO for most players
No Help: If I really don't care about this person offensively, I won't even send help their way. Use this vs. players that can't really score and should be able to be held 1-on-1 by your defenders.
Auto: I keep this setting on AUTO vs. most players

Double Team Post
Dig: This sends the closest strong side defender to step down and attempt to swipe at the post player for a quick steal.
On Catch: When the post player catches, it is a FULL double
On Dribble: When the post player dribbles, it is a FULL double

Extended Pressure
Auto: vs. People that might bring the ball up-court but aren't EXCEPTIONAL ball-handlers.
No: vs. Natural ball-handlers. I wouldn't recommend using extend pressure vs. most starting PGs because it is an instant blow-by. However, if your backup is in the game, and you want to drain HIS energy by pressuring Kyrie full-court, take your chances. I personally wouldn't waste my starters' energy doing this.
Yes: Read Auto (I basically use AUTO as my "Yes" in this setting)

Tag-On Roll
Yes: A weakside defender steps in and attempts to bump the roll-man after he sets an on-ball screen. Use this vs. people that like to catch lobs (DeAndre, Kemp, Orlando Woolridge)

I need to put my thoughts down on paper so here is how I approach my Defensive Matchups

On-Ball Pressure
Moderate: Smalls: Decent Shooters (In the Low 70s for mid and/or 3s) Bigs: Decent Shooters

Off-Ball Pressure
Gap: Smalls/Bigs: Complete Non-Shooters (Tony Allen) Bigs: Complete Non-Threats that are also with weak OREB
Moderate: Smalls: Decent Shooters (In the Low 70s for mid and/or 3s) Bigs: Decent Shooters and/or decent OREB
Deny: Smalls/Bigs: Good Shooters with low athleticism (To prevent backdoor cuts)

Force Direction

On-Ball Screen

Off-Ball Screen
Go Over: Shooters (Even though I don't really use this setting for Bigs that can shoot since they most likely wouldn't be running off of screens. If it is someone like Dirk/Steve Novak I would since they essentially played like Tall Small Forwards)

3/4 Bottom: I personally never use it, nor do I see why one would give up the middle. If someone can explain, I would appreciate it.
Front: vs. Prime Shaq/Wilt/Kareem: Someone you simply can't stop. I would only use this in conjunction with DOUBLE POST on the CATCH. This setting forces a lob over the defender but if he catches it, it is a instant bucket. So also activate POST DOUBLE on the CATCH if you select FRONT.

Double Team Perimeter
On Drive: You want to limit driving opportunities. If the player has decent shooters around him, this might be trouble. Pick your poison.

Pre-Rotate
Yes: You are sending a weakside defender into the paint to help-off of their assignment, to prevent a potential drive on the ball-handler

Screen Help Rules
Help and No Rotation: If you feel that you need a defender (that isn't involved in the on-ball screen) to step over from the weakside to help stop the action, select this option. You are essentially loading up the strong side to create a wall to stop this player

Help Rules
Help: Off-ball defender will LEAVE his assignment to overhelp on ball-handler. Think of what the Lakers were doing vs. Rondo in the finals. I personally don't use this because I can't control who I can help OFF of. It just ends up giving open scoring opportunities. I keep this setting on AUTO for most players
No Help: If I really don't care about this person offensively, I won't even send help their way. Use this vs. players that can't really score and should be able to be held 1-on-1 by your defenders.

Double Team Post
Dig: This sends the closest strong side defender to step down and attempt to swipe at the post player for a quick steal.

Extended Pressure
Auto: vs. People that might bring the ball up-court but aren't EXCEPTIONAL ball-handlers.
No: vs. Natural ball-handlers. I wouldn't recommend using extend pressure vs. most starting PGs because it is an instant blow-by. However, if your backup is in the game, and you want to drain HIS energy by pressuring Kyrie full-court, take your chances. I personally wouldn't waste my starters' energy doing this.

Tag-On Roll
Yes: A weakside defender steps in and attempts to bump the roll-man after he sets an on-ball screen. Use this vs. people that like to catch lobs (DeAndre, Kemp, Orlando Woolridge)
Your defense weak tho

On-Ball Pressure

Off-Ball Pressure

Force Direction

On-Ball Screen

Off-Ball Screen

Double Team Perimeter

Pre-Rotate

Screen Help Rules

Help Rules

Double Team Post

Extended Pressure

Tag-On Roll

Two things. When it's set onto Auto/Adaptive Coaching, the game needs to simply show you what settings the CPU has on. How am I supposed to know to go blitz or ice or whatever on PNRs if I don't know what the overall strategy is?

They need to make a way to save these settings or to do it quicker. If I want to flood the strong side and aggressively trap PNRs and post ups, it shouldn't take 5 minutes of messing with settings.

Two things. When it's set onto Auto/Adaptive Coaching, the game needs to simply show you what settings the CPU has on. How am I supposed to know to go blitz or ice or whatever on PNRs if I don't know what the overall strategy is?

They need to make a way to save these settings or to do it quicker. If I want to flood the strong side and aggressively trap PNRs and post ups, it shouldn't take 5 minutes of messing with settings.
1. Well, luckily in MyGM/My League, you can save your settings vs. Each Team from the Main Menu of each mode.

2. Auto is so dynamic, that it wouldn't be possible to show you what the CPU is doing on each possession. How would that even look? I say this because things can change from possession to possession.

One possession, the CPU can decide to Double LeBron in the PnR. The next play they could Go Under with a Hard Hedge.

Auto just means they are going to play it how they best see fit for that possession.

I think it is a lot to ask for the game to tell/show you EVERYTHING that they are doing on that possession. With all of those settings running at once? Not even possible man

Overall TEAM concepts don't take 5 minutes to set MGM. That takes a second.

Now each individual player having settings individualized is what takes time.

What you are asking for takes a second with the Left D Pad Settings

Overall TEAM concepts don't take 5 minutes to set MGM. That takes a second.

Now each individual player having settings individualized is what takes time.

What you are asking for takes a second with the Left D Pad Settings

How many times did you have to reset the timer against Hotdog when you played him online?

How many times did you have to reset the timer against Hotdog when you played him online?

I had to reset it ALOT because it takes a long time to set INDIVIDUAL defensive settings (Which I JUST said takes a long time). If I wanted to just make general scheme changes, it wouldn't me anywhere near as long

1. Well, luckily in MyGM/My League, you can save your settings vs. Each Team from the Main Menu of each mode.

2. Auto is so dynamic, that it wouldn't be possible to show you what the CPU is doing on each possession. How would that even look? I say this because things can change from possession to possession.

One possession, the CPU can decide to Double LeBron in the PnR. The next play they could Go Under with a Hard Hedge.

Auto just means they are going to play it how they best see fit for that possession.

I think it is a lot to ask for the game to tell/show you EVERYTHING that they are doing on that possession. With all of those settings running at once? Not even possible man

Maybe auto should be a little less dynamic on human controlled teams. How many NBA teams change their PNR defense from possession to possession? After a TO, okay cool. But no one is scrapping all concepts in a second like that.

There's a ton of ways to display what the settings are on. I think you ask way too little of the game.

Maybe auto should be a little less dynamic on human controlled teams. How many NBA teams change their PNR defense from possession to possession? After a TO, okay cool. But no one is scrapping all concepts in a second like that.

There's a ton of ways to display what the settings are on. I think you ask way too little of the game.

An NBA Team wouldn't change it EVERY possession, but when a team actually changes their scheme (on the fly), it means the last two defensive possessions gave the offensive team two different looks.

Also, coaches put in TIME SENSITIVE concepts for their teams all the time.

For instance, Scott Skiles was famous for changing up PnR defensive looks every 4 minutes of gameplay. Whether there is a timeout or not. His players knew that those changes would take place just to give the offensive a different look.

Explain to me what you would propose then.

What I am saying is how is it going to be VISIBLE for the User to see everything the CPU is going to do to each offensive player DURING actual gameplay. And how and when would the user have time to look at that.

Just tell me what you would propose.

Yea,, I ask way too little of the game. If only you knew man.........

Two things. When it's set onto Auto/Adaptive Coaching, the game needs to simply show you what settings the CPU has on. .

1. I would personally turn ACE off. I wasn't speaking on ACE in my write up. I enjoy controlling all of my settings without the help of the CPU

2. When you say "settings" which specific settings are you referring to and when/where/how would those settings be shown to you?

Also, coaches put in TIME SENSITIVE concepts for their teams all the time.

For instance, Scott Skiles was famous for changing up PnR defensive looks every 4 minutes of gameplay. Whether there is a timeout or not. His players knew that those changes would take place just to give the offensive a different look.

All the time? Hell no :lol: Maybe some coaches in certain situations. Not nearly enough for 2K to make their settings crazy dynamic. And we're not talking about TIME SENSITIVE defensive changes.

If you really think it's impossible for 2K to let you hit a d-pad direction and have your defensive settings display for the possession, then they REALLY need to make it less dynamic. There can be "general" settings and the special/player specific adjustments can pop up if you trigger it. They could let you scroll through the settings (Help Principles, Pressure Principles, PNR, Post) and show you what the game plan is. Ideally, they should be able to just tell you but there's only 5 players on the floor, they can use icons to explain what's going on.

Again, if that's too complicated or impossible, they should simplify the Auto defense for human controlled teams. Maybe there'd be less complaining about CPU not helping or overhelping or team defense being awful if the average person knew what the actual game plan was. If someone wants a more complicated scheme, they can change the settings manually. Pretty simple concept.

All the time? Hell no :lol: Maybe some coaches in certain situations. Not nearly enough for 2K to make their settings crazy dynamic. And we're not talking about TIME SENSITIVE defensive changes.
t.

We are talking about dynamic coaching strategy changes (ACE).

ACE is triggered based on TIME and SITUATION.

Go back and read the Developer's Blogs that 2K put out last year and this year explaining how ACE works.

It literally says, ACE is triggered/changes based on TIME and FLOW of the game.

So we are in fact talking about time sensitive concepts that will be thrown to the opposing team.

They give you all of the tools that you need.

If you don't want the CPU to do everything, put in some BASIC/GENERAL scheme settings. You have the tools for that.

As much as people complain about the CPU's decision making, I don't understand why so many of us still trust it. Those of us that know better.

Now, for the casual players that don't understand basketball, they can just use ACE.

If you really think it's impossible for 2K to let you hit a d-pad direction and have your defensive settings display for the possession, then they REALLY need to make it less dynamic. There can be "general" settings and the special/player specific adjustments can pop up if you trigger it. They could let you scroll through the settings (Help Principles, Pressure Principles, PNR, Post) and show you what the game plan is. Ideally, they should be able to just tell you but there's only 5 players on the floor, they can use icons to explain what's going on.

Again, if that's too complicated or impossible, they should simplify the Auto defense for human controlled teams. Maybe there'd be less complaining about CPU not helping or overhelping or team defense being awful if the average person knew what the actual game plan was. If someone wants a more complicated scheme, they can change the settings manually. Pretty simple concept.

1. I never said anything was IMPOSSIBLE. I simply asked YOU (who feels it should be there), how would it play out and most importantly, what would it LOOK like.

You are failing to realize, they already feel the screen has too much going on. (Another thing mentioned in the developers blogs). So asking for MORE on screen text, when you only have a 24 second shot clock is something that will be a hard sell to them.

If the setting was there and I used ACE, would I use it? Probably, who knows.

If you want the change, I would simply EMAIL them, make a spreadsheet or some type of graphic proposing what it should look like and let them take it into consideration. That is all I would suggest honestly.

You are making it seem like I am saying it isn't a sound idea but that is far from the truth. I simply asked you to tell me what it would look like.

2. "It needs to be less dynamic." ~ Again, so many people on 2K/OS Forums don't think it is dynamic enough. How do they satisfy everyone's needs/desires in this situation? It isn't like we know EXACTLY HOW dynamic things are, so it is honestly just based on how often one of our defensive players get burned as to how we determine whether or not things are "working." (Which isn't a strong measure but that is neither here nor there.)

Yes, it is pretty often my man. Listen to podcasts from coaches, former coaches, read coaching blogs, look at notes people have taken from speaking engagements from NBA Coaches.

Time Sensitive Concepts IS a VERY common thing.

I used Skiles as an example because he was the first coach that I knew of that had this type of approach in the semi-modern NBA

Also, another tip.

To change Defensive Matchups on the fly (without Pausing)

1. While on D, Press Left Bumper
2. Press the button of the corresponding defensive player that you want to change who he is guarding
3. Use the Right Stick to Select which player you want him to Guard

yo 2k is beyond annoying im tired of the update message popping up midway through the game and now that i couldnt get past the team logo screen i deleted reserved space and cant get online someone help me out i tried looking on youtube and all the videos were pointless 

my player is deleted too fml 

Last edited:

yo 2k is beyond annoying im tired of the update message popping up midway through the game and now that i couldnt get past the team logo screen i deleted reserved space and cant get online someone help me out i tried looking on youtube and all the videos were pointless 

my player is deleted too fml 
same thing happened to me.

Back
Top Bottom