Official NBA 2K18 Thread | Available Now

I've been 2atching game play on Chris Smooves channel. I think I will buy Live after all.

Live is honestly terrible. I was playing last night and it doesn't even play better than 2k17 to me. No bias **** either.

Live is honestly terrible. I was playing last night and it doesn't even play better than 2k17 to me. No bias **** either.

It's comically bad. I watched Kyrie Irving get 4 blocks in the first half. 2 of them on Kevin Durant at the rim. The animations are GOD awful. I'm not sure how a company like EA continuously puts out something so bad considering the prestige they have. I'd rather them not even put a game out.

It's comically bad. I watched Kyrie Irving get 4 blocks in the first half. 2 of them on Kevin Durant at the rim. The animations are GOD awful. I'm not sure how a company like EA continuously puts out something so bad considering the prestige they have. I'd rather them not even put a game out.
Since when has EA had that? They're notorious for taking short cuts and putting out incomplete games :lol:

Since when has EA had that? They're notorious for taking short cuts and putting out incomplete games :lol:

Not sure how old you are...but EA amassed such a large following because they were the pinnacle of sports games for at least a good decade before 2K existed.

Not sure how old you are...but EA amassed such a large following because they were the pinnacle of sports games for at least a good decade before 2K existed.
Wrong. They govern'd their following because before 2K they had basically a Monopoly on sports gaming. What other realistic sports simulation games were being offered?

So of course if its the only thing being offered, then people are going to flock. Post year 2000 the EA Sports division has be getting weaker & weaker

Wrong. They govern'd their following because before 2K they had basically a Monopoly on sports gaming. What other realistic sports simulation games were being offered?

So of course if its the only thing being offered, then people are going to flock. Post year 2000 the EA Sports division has be getting weaker & weaker

It was a bunch of smaller companies that made licensed sports games in the 90s early 00’s. 2k didn’t drop until 99-00. Live wasn’t always terrible.

Aight man...if that's your view...you are entitled it. YOU personally may feel that way...but millions of people loved NBA Live and thought it was a good game in that time.

The majority would not say "EA was only good because there was nothing else to choose". First off...nobody even really CARED too much for in-depth sim experiences back then. Staying within basketball specifically...nobody in the 90s was asking for cap management and real playbooks in their basketball games. It was mainly about how the game played relative to what was possible with technology at the time. So there wasn't even alot of "complaining" going on in general like we do now. There also were sim games back then that had cult followings like Techno Super NBA , NBA Action, NBA, Give N Go, Shootout, In the Zone, Courtside, etc. People purchased and played those games...but Live was above all of them. So they DO have prestige...that's not even arguable.

Exactly ^
Back then we played games for what they were. Half the magazine barely even reviewed sport games back then. You bought games based on what you and your friends played, not the suggestion of a reviewer.

Exactly ^
Back then we played games for what they were. Half the magazine barely even reviewed sport games back then. You bought games based on what you and your friends played, not the suggestion of a reviewer.

This makes me wonder if EA just simply wasn't prepared...or just didn't care to continue to evolve the game as gaming moved through the generations. Maybe they relied on their fun factor to carry them to the next gen.

Nobody saw 2K coming. The original 2K was Dreamcast only for 1...and 2...most people just thought it was another Live competitor that would come and go like NBA 2Night, Inside Drive, etc. I don't know what secret 2K had but I'm inclined to believe EA just simply didn't think the NBA license wasn't as valuable anymore and didn't put in the resources needed to take the game into the next-gen properly.

If live isn't gonna make a concerted effort to build a sim game, they need to push the arcade/NBA Jam angle.

The gameplay clips I've seen have been comical. Like they're not even trying :lol:

If live isn't gonna make a concerted effort to build a sim game, they need to push the arcade/NBA Jam angle.

The gameplay clips I've seen have been comical. Like they're not even trying :lol:

That’s part of the issue, the only post you see are the bugs and glitches. Once social media gets on something everybody turns into copy cats. Live isn’t as good as 2k, not even close, but it’s also not as bad as the glitch vids show either. I’ve play over 100 The One games plus countless games with nba teams and have yet to see the feethrow line glitch.

For those making JUDGEMENTS on the game off of the PreLude, I hope you see a difference here

NBA 2K18 HD sim type gameplay:

This video has the game looking infinitely better than what I've been seeing. All those other "run and gun" vids made it appear as if sim-style ball was incapable of being played.

That’s part of the issue, the only post you see are the bugs and glitches. Once social media gets on something everybody turns into copy cats. Live isn’t as good as 2k, not even close, but it’s also not as bad as the glitch vids show either. I’ve play over 100 The One games plus countless games with nba teams and have yet to see the feethrow line glitch.

Copping 2K is a no brainer for a basketball junkie like myself but I'm also scooping Live strictly for The One. Starting with Live 16 EA captured the street ball "MyPlayer" essence very well. It's really the strongest selling point of the game. The game is $40 with a preorder. I'll definitely get $40 worth of value with The One mode offline and online.

Last edited:
This video has the game looking infinitely better than what I've been seeing. All those other "run and gun" vids made it appear as if sim-style ball was incapable of being played.

That is never the case man.

The way someone plays causes the game to appear a certain way.

You can play sim style no matter what the game is

Kind of bummed 2k drops tonight. I was just getting into a groove on Madden.

I finished 2k17 ranked 25th. Aiming for top 5 this year.

Yeah, my first time playing Madden since the Ray Lewis cover, it's been really good for me too. I enjoyed it but since 2k is back, it's time to kick Madden to the curb lol.

Back
Top Bottom