OFFICIAL NBA OFFICIATING UNAPPRECIATION THREAD

When us Knick fans were complaining about the officiating especially in the 2nd quarter of game 1 people were talmbout we're making excuses. Now everyone is suddenly appalled.

Originally Posted by Tego Calderon El Abayarde

When us Knick fans were complaining about the officiating especially in the 2nd quarter of game 1 people were talmbout we're making excuses. Now everyone is suddenly appalled.
This.

But the sad thing is that its going to get worse. All signs are pointing to a Celtics/Heat conference finals. Stern does not want to see Philly or Indiana anywhere close to the ECF. If they get even remotely close to pulling the upset the refs are going to impose their will onto those games (they may not even wait for it to get close to start with the BS)

Out west Its obvious that the Clippers only have to fall over and they are going to get the call. Yet every ref in the Denver/LA series can tell the difference between a flop and a foul. And Im glad they arent calling the bad flops by Denver when they were doing them but is it so much to ask for things to be consistent. I know they can tell when a guy is flopping around they just choose to give some guys/teams the benefit.

Ive said it before that its hard for me to stop watching because basketball is my favorite sport. But I havent watched nearly as many games as I usually do this year because of how bad the reffing is. Its like its WWE and all the outcomes are predetermined. We're just waiting to see which way Stern and the refs want things to play out.

Bron is running full speed and purposely bumps into a backpedaling defender. Foul on defender. Our love for the game has blinded us of the corruption done by the management.

97% of the time, if a player falls on the floor it's an act.

I just want more consistency, hell add a 4th ref.

The inconsistency from play to play, quarter to quarter, game by game is just maddening.

they definitely need a 4th ref! did anyone else notice in the second quarter of the lakers/nuggets when jordan hill was leaning forward and started to fall so he dragged his pivot foot? it was a no call leading to a kobe basket...... smh you know its bad when they are missing basic basketball rules.

Originally Posted by sooperhooper

Bron is running full speed and purposely bumps into a backpedaling defender. Foul on defender. Our love for the game has blinded us of the corruption done by the management.

97% of the time, if a player falls on the floor it's an act.

During one of the games I was sitting with someone who doesn't really watch sports. Bron ran into melo and a foul was called. And he was like, if you run into the guy defending you, that's a foul? We should just do that every time. So I explained that the rules are different for different players.But honestly what we saw yesterday is on a different level than a missed call or something like that. They called it. Realized the ramifications. Punked out and decided to change the rules during a game! that's just super shady and wrong.And I hear them talking about it on espn and for whatever reason they don't bring up the fact that Atlanta keeps possession. They just talk bout the free throws.

90% of the posters in here are Knicks fans.
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by bostonmarc

The bad reffing is nothing new, especially over the last 3 or 4 years. I agree, I have a tough time watching NBA. They need to get rid of some of the older refs and the ones with egos. The NBA is the only major sport where I know more than a couple refs/umpires name. They want to be stars too. I swear I know at least 15 refs on site.
I agree that the officiating is horrible, but I'm not sure you only knowing NBA ref names is an indication of the NBA refs being particularly bad or you not paying attention to other sports. I can name a handful of MLB umpires and NFL officials who surely want to be the star every night.

I think the Hawks getting screwed last night was worse than any of the other stuff mentioned in this thread, home cookin should not exist period

I've never been the type to cry about officiating, they got a tough job and I just hate talking about officiating because it takes the focus off of the game but this is really gettin outta hand. I swear they just giving out technical's like its crack in the 90's. Double technical's because dudes are just talking, I mean is that where the game is now. Dudes can't do a little trash talk now and you can tell they're not saying anything out of line. The league is just gotten to damn SOFT.

Originally Posted by Maximus Meridius

I've never been the type to cry about officiating, they got a tough job and I just hate talking about officiating because it takes the focus off of the game but this is really gettin outta hand. I swear they just giving out technical's like its crack in the 90's. Double technical's because dudes are just talking, I mean is that where the game is now. Dudes can't do a little trash talk now and you can tell they're not saying anything out of line. The league is just gotten to damn SOFT.

word, amare and haslem do a little talking after a foul and automatically its a double tech
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by JaeEvolution

Aside from game one where Rondo had his outburst the Hawks and Celtics had ZERO technicals combined throughout the entire series, and somehow still the refs call three techs against the Hawks on the most basic things I've ever seen.

-Rondo drives on Teague and gets the call but was already in motion so it's only natural for Teague to try and block/prevent him from getting the shot off, Teague lightly taps Rondo's head on a block attempt, tech.

-Dampier is fighting for rebounding position against Hollins and felt he was being held and gave Hollins a slight nudge with his elbow, tech.

-Josh Smith who was on the sideline waiting to check in must've said the most obscene and vulgar thing ever for the ref to have focused more on those words than officiating the game, tech.

These are aside the calls missed late in the game. Daniels held Horford before the inbound that's a clear foul should've been two shots and the ball back, and Rondo can truck stick Teague on a final heave and nothing. Clearly terrible officiating which resulted in us losing the series.

I agree with everything except the last 2 statements. I went back on synergy and watched the final play 4 times. Clearly not a foul on Rondo.  I also don't think officiating lost the series for Atlanta, but that is a matter of opinion. 
I am a Boston guy and will openly admit that, but fair is fair. Game 1 the refs blew 2 calls in the last minute, then gave Rondo a tech for arguing those calls, which ended in the Game 2 suspension. Nobody on here was complaining about that. So using the above logic, the Celtics " should have" won that game and the series would have been shorter

Stern does not want the Spurs in the Finals. every year they won, they were the worst ratings wise. he and the refs will do they best to keep them out. it'll be Heat vs. Thunder.

Officials will always be prone to human error and emotion...but things tend to even out over the course of a seven game series.  I think it is always easier for fans to blame the officials than to face the fact that their team lost and it's season is over.  Officials may alter a game or two...but are not the primary reason a team loses four games to another. 

Originally Posted by thaSOLEful1

76ers vs Bulls series was horribly officiated. felt like every game was decided by a game winning free throw

& hawes no flagrant call on asik is very inexcusable... if that was blake/bron/cp3/wade/kobe who got fouled it would have been a automatic F2 & hawes would have been thrown out... we would have got 2 free thrown & the pill game over

I feel bad for anyone who has to play against a Lebron James lead team. The refs will be out in full force with the bad officiating.

Good luck to all of the teams that play the Heat.

Originally Posted by xsalvioutlawx

I feel bad for anyone who has to play against a Lebron James lead team. The refs will be out in full force with the bad officiating.

Good luck to all of the teams that play the Heat.

says the Kobe Stan
laugh.gif

-Josh Smith who was on the sideline waiting to check in must've said the most obscene and vulgar thing ever for the ref to have focused more on those words than officiating the game, tech.

He was arguing about not being allowed to check in, then a possession happened on the other end, then when the play came back to Atlanta's side he was still screaming at the ref. The official tried to give him a long leash on that play but Josh refused to let it go. Your anger should be directed at Josh Smith's immaturity more than the ref who rightly T'd him up.

Originally Posted by JumpmanFromDaBay

Originally Posted by xsalvioutlawx

happy.gif

It's true though.

Kobe and LeBron get those phantom calls on the regular

Nope. Seein Lebron get a technical or being in foul trouble is almost a once in a life time event.
I read something in another thread where someone said Lebron could beg for a foul and the refs still wouldn't give it to him. Spot on. 
laugh.gif

The Miami Heat and Indiana Pacers won't play each other in the Eastern Conference semifinals until Sunday afternoon, but Indiana coach Frank Vogel is wasting no time in taking shots at the Heat.
"They are the biggest flopping team in the NBA," Vogel told reporters at Thursday's practice in Indianapolis. "It'll be very interesting (to see) how the referees officiate the series and how much flopping they reward."

Led by Heat forwards Udonis Haslem and Shane Battier, the Heat drew the fourth-most charges in the NBA during the regular season, according to Hoopdata.com.

Because Miami normally plays without a traditional center, protecting the rim with a variety of different methods is critical to its defense.

"Every drive to the basket, they have guys not making a play on the ball, but sliding in front of drivers," Vogel said. "Oftentimes they're falling down even before contact is even being made. It'll be interesting to see how the series is officiated."

Vogel must have slept with his eyes open when they faced the Clippers.
laugh.gif

I'm interested in seeing how the series is officiated as well.

Back
Top Bottom